Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929187 times)

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #6450 on: January 05, 2016, 07:45:17 am »

After reading some old postings about Sword of Glass on CRPG Addict's blog, an idea came to me.

A RPG that you play as a sentient piece of equipment (probably sword or other weapon, or perhaps could it be customizable?), who is taking over their wearer in the quest of getting deep enough in the dungeon to <do something quest-related or whatever>.

You are getting experience, as well as your bearer/wearer. Your XP is permanent, but the bearer/wearer can die and drop you in the middle of the trek through the dungeon, and if it happens, you need to wait for some other adventurer to come along and pick you up. You can steer bearer/wearer to some degree (perhaps most of the way, to prevent the game from being too boring), but he/she might oppose you if you are trying to push him/her to do something risky/stupid (after all, all you can lose is some time).

Perhaps add in some time limit, so every time you lose a bearer/wearer you waste some of time waiting for a new one on the floor, and you need to be more careful around them? Also, as the time passes, topmost levels of the dungeon become cleared by adventurers (perhaps mostly by you and your bearer?), and you can go deeper more easily (as in, with easier trip in; the level X would stay equally difficult through the game, unless it was cleared). If you are lost N level below the last cleared level, you need to wait longer till someone gets so deep and finds you.

Or maybe you could be picked up by some orc/demon/drow in the dungeon? And you would be wielded alternately by good guys (and lost in the dungeon), and then bad guys (found in the dungeon, lost in the overworld during the ride), and then good guys again (found in the loot after a failed orc raid)? And you would need to choose the side you want to win, and try to keep your bearer alive as long as possible when you are on the 'right' side, and kill him as soon as possible on the 'wrong' side (but keep in mind he/she will resist you trying to kill them right away!).

Seems like an interesting twist on more classical RPGs. :)
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: January 05, 2016, 01:11:23 pm »

Yeah, in that game you can actually get ships that kill stars and planets and it's not some special ability, it's just when you put a gun powerful enough to do so on one. Granted, they still use supplies and/or energy (don't really remember) and shit so there is proably a point where you could make a one-shoot (at least until refill or energy regen) Deathstar. The problem is that at this point you usually have more important things to do and Deathstars aren't actually really useful in balanced war.
Indeed. Why destroy a Star? If you really want to make planets uninhabitable lasering them directly is much more efficient.
What you can do in Star Ruler (2, at least) is make a factory which rips out energy and matter out of a star to produce stuff, thus slowly destroying it.

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: January 05, 2016, 01:39:05 pm »

A proper sim where you take charge of a modern mercenary company, focusing on management and strategy rather than the tactical combat that seems to be mandatory with games utilizing the theme (i.e. Jagged Alliance).

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: January 05, 2016, 03:30:17 pm »

A proper sim where you take charge of a modern mercenary company, focusing on management and strategy rather than the tactical combat that seems to be mandatory with games utilizing the theme (i.e. Jagged Alliance).
Yes.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: January 05, 2016, 09:27:11 pm »

A mod/expansion for Mount and Blade: Warband, in the style of Viking Conquest:

Mount and Blade: The Lord of the Rings.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: January 05, 2016, 11:23:37 pm »

re: the open world star wars game post a few pages back:  would star wars combine work? 2D web based MMO, what little I remember of it is very slow gameplay, but very open-world.  not sure how good it was, didn't get far any time I tried playing it.  Just google search for it

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: January 06, 2016, 01:48:27 am »

re: the open world star wars game post a few pages back:  would star wars combine work? 2D web based MMO, what little I remember of it is very slow gameplay, but very open-world.  not sure how good it was, didn't get far any time I tried playing it.  Just google search for it
Last time I tried that, they had a weird policy that you couldn't register with a "public" email address. Nothing from yahoo or gmail or whatever, but instead school or work or ISP-provided addresses. Was supposed to help eliminate spambots, supposedly.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: January 06, 2016, 07:08:26 am »

Last time I tried that, they had a weird policy that you couldn't register with a "public" email address. Nothing from yahoo or gmail or whatever, but instead school or work or ISP-provided addresses. Was supposed to help eliminate spambots, supposedly.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that is so stupid.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: January 06, 2016, 08:05:17 am »

Since we are on Star Wars, I would love a proper Empire at War sequel. Not another expansion, but a remake of the game. Made perhaps on the Unreal 4 engine or one that can do all the things the Alamo engine did fine, and improve over it.

I'm would not demand better graphics, but more gameplay mechanics, and better, more lengthy planetary battles. Instead of taking a planet with a single battle, planets could be divided among several individual maps that you can fight on. Exceptions could be small places like Kessel and the cloud city, which are either relatively small, or are the only frigging places in the whole planet.

So each planet would have it's own strategic map, divided in several tactical maps. To acquire the planet you must control all it's maps.

Also this game should have different campaigns or eras integrated, at least clone wars and empire vs rebellion, and perhaps a grand campaign that integrates both of them.

Space battles are fine the way the are, a bigger amount of ships at the same time would be certainly nice and some rebalancing.

All in all, I would be happy if only an updated, bigger and better Empire at War comes along eventually.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6459 on: January 06, 2016, 08:13:01 am »

Well, if the Disney didin't cut off the balls of EU and Republic vs Empire (muh Thrawn ;_; ), it could potentially be the most amazing thing, but sadly we only have First Order nazi-wannabe-paramilitary and twelve-X-Wings Resistance and of course the old Clone Wars and Empire vs Rebelion.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: January 06, 2016, 11:00:17 am »

I'd like a proper sequel/remake of X-Wing/Tie Fighter games.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6461 on: January 06, 2016, 11:52:36 am »

Yeah, it was one of my first thoughts when I saw the movie. Dem secksy X-Wings and new TIE Fighters.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: January 06, 2016, 11:58:16 am »

It won't happen though, since Lucasarts was shut down. The best we'd get would be something akin to the new Battlefront. Basically a reskin of an existing game that's pretty, shallow, and has wide appeal but no real deep attraction. Except it wouldn't exist even then because who buys space combat games anyway??? I don't see any on the XBox shelf at Game so clearly nobody.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: January 06, 2016, 12:12:14 pm »

Plenty of PC examples, however yes, they are not at the peak of popularity right now. Also, this is a thread of wishful thinking, I could say that 99,999999% of the games expressed here won't happen ever.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: January 06, 2016, 02:36:27 pm »

Also, this is a thread of wishful thinking

Well, yeah.

Quote from: Thread Title
Games you wish existed

:P

Edit: upon re-reading, I guess that was kind of your point.  I should really concentrate more.  Hey, it's been a long year!
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 577