Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 402283 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)
« Reply #1140 on: November 21, 2011, 07:55:02 pm »

All in favor of Aussie being declared the winner of Dwarf Fortress?

Aye!

Awwww, you guys!  Someone might wanna go update the TVtropes Dwarf Fortress Awesome page entry for the checkerboard.  Or Hell in the main page.

Oh, and I wanted to share something I just saw. 

I have a coffin, yet I'm still a ghost? Maybe I'm a ghost because I have a ‼coffin‼ instead of a coffin?

But what makes you think it's on fire? I don't see anything in the screenshot to indicate that it is? I guess that gray stuff around it is smoke, but are you sure there isn't anything else around it that is burning?

Or did someone forget to close the lid? :-/

Or is it just due to my ghost's temperament?
Quote from: 2 Thessalonians 1:8 (paraphrased)
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that have not LEATHER!!!!

There was indeed smoke and fire around your coffin, but I couldn't figure out what was burning.  I never said anything about a ghost though.  I even checked the ghost list to be sure there wasn't one.   Incidentally,  Sniken's roaming the fortress as a "Restless Haunt troubling past acquaintances and relatives".

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)
« Reply #1141 on: November 21, 2011, 08:52:53 pm »

I'm not a ghost now? Bummer. Vengence was fun!

:)

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 21, 2011, 09:29:21 pm »

For the hell of it, I pulled The Lever of Final Resort and flooded the fortress.

I may save it once the water's settled and make it the savegame for you loons to try and reclaim from - the water's flowing down to the magma forge level down the big vertical axle shaft, so the worst it can do is settle on the disused magma forge level and the open quarry level.

edit:  For some weird reason, I keep getting animals plummeting down the axle shaft to their explosive deaths.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The tally's up at three cavies, five goats, a rabbit, and thirteen cats.  The real mind-boggler is that the axle shaft isn't vertical all the way to the surface - about half-way up the current level shown it travels horizontally so it doesn't go through the cavern layers.

Oh, and I'm down to 219 animals in the fortress. Down from close to 250-300.

edit:  We did lose a dwarf to the suicide lever.  Tiruin decided he was going to confuse the hell out of me by dying from asphyxiation.  I have no idea where he ended up either.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 10:02:01 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: November 21, 2011, 10:14:17 pm »

You act like exploding animals is a bad thing.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 21, 2011, 10:26:36 pm »

You act like exploding animals is a bad thing.

I'm not.  I'm just confused as to how the water flow got them from the surface to that point in the staircase down to Hell.

edit:  gzoker took a leap down the axle channel. 

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 10:39:03 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 21, 2011, 10:58:14 pm »

I'm not.  I'm just confused as to how the water flow got them from the surface to that point in the staircase down to Hell.

I do believe you've found the apple in the Garden of Eden...

Now you must weaponize it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1146 on: November 21, 2011, 11:19:57 pm »

I do believe you've found the apple in the Garden of Eden...

Now you must weaponize it.

I think it's weaponized enough.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 21, 2011, 11:23:08 pm »

I meant to make it a goblin trap or something. The current deaths seem unintended, and I think it'd be awesome if it was made into a goblin/elf/migrant trap.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1148 on: November 21, 2011, 11:25:30 pm »

I meant to make it a goblin trap or something. The current deaths seem unintended, and I think it'd be awesome if it was made into a goblin/elf/migrant trap.
But... It's already claiming the lives of random people. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 21, 2011, 11:28:06 pm »

The fortress is half-flooded, Hell is full of magma and abuse, and I unwittingly created a waterfall that is systematically killing the animals that lived in the fortress one-by-one.

I'd say my work, and fortress , are done here.

This is the worldgen with Swordthunders having been abandoned so it would stay half-flooded on the upper levels and offer a challenge
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5202

Though I don't want to start it, I heartily endorse anyone insane enough to launch a reclaim.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 21, 2011, 11:38:31 pm »

But... It's already claiming the lives of random people. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?
NEEDS MORE BRONZE COLOSSUS

EDIT: I'm feeling like ripping my hair out tonight. Let's see if my pre2005 desktop can handle the spot.

EDIT2: It froze. Now to see whether it crashed or is very slowly processing my request...

EDIT3: [DFHACK]# die. But wait, I can't do that, because DFHack is stuck on [DFHACK]# clean all

EDIT4: Note to self, don't try clean all absent mindedly on DF Hack when world is loading cause it will probably make a big crash.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:02:14 am by restricted »

restricted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 22, 2011, 01:51:55 am »

Was going through legends on Swordthunders world (could not get reclaim to work :( ) when I found this gem:

I now have a new favorite demon, beyond the tentacle ones.

Further investigation shows Swordthunders was attacked by gods after its destruction as well (?)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 01:53:30 am by restricted »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 22, 2011, 02:07:57 am »

Further investigation shows Swordthunders was attacked by gods after its destruction as well (?)

Great job Aussie, you pissed the gods off.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: November 22, 2011, 03:10:50 am »

edit:  For some weird reason, I keep getting animals plummeting down the axle shaft to their explosive deaths.

The tally's up at three cavies, five goats, a rabbit, and thirteen cats.  The real mind-boggler is that the axle shaft isn't vertical all the way to the surface - about half-way up the current level shown it travels horizontally so it doesn't go through the cavern layers.

I suppose it's time for another round of "I told you so's?" :P

When I decided to pull that lever, I noticed they pour down that shaft in a manner that makes me confidence that a mathmatical equation could be devised to relate fatalities to the volume of water flowing through in a given amount of time.

Spoiler: Math is !!FUN!! (click to show/hide)

Also, that bitch ruined my beautiful artwork and then made us all dance to "Shake That Ass" with her! SHE MUST PAY!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 03:15:23 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1154 on: November 22, 2011, 04:43:29 pm »

I suppose it's time for another round of "I told you so's?" :P

When I decided to pull that lever, I noticed they pour down that shaft in a manner that makes me confidence that a mathmatical equation could be devised to relate fatalities to the volume of water flowing through in a given amount of time.

Spoiler: Math is !!FUN!! (click to show/hide)

Also, that bitch ruined my beautiful artwork and then made us all dance to "Shake That Ass" with her! SHE MUST PAY!

We destroyed her people, evicted the survivors, turned their hellish landscape into a dwarven paradise, and before comepletely owning it with madness, magma and strawberries, dorfed it beyond recognition.
And you still feel, after all this has been done, that she deserves to pay for cleaning up some graffiti?

I wholeheartedly approve.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 81