Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566121 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1470 on: October 21, 2010, 07:25:16 pm »

The question would be how werewolves work in Df? Do they Shift by Moon-phase, on Will or on whatever event? Is Were-animalism a curse? What happens if there are many moons? How can were-animals feel cursish if they shift on will?

But yes i am also for fleshed out were-creatures.   
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: October 21, 2010, 07:40:05 pm »

I think the most common conception of werewolves is that they transform on the full moon. I don't think we have to worry about multiple moons at the moment, since DF doesn't support that feature at the moment, and probably won't for a while. Cross that bridge when we come to it.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: October 21, 2010, 07:40:09 pm »

It'd be cool if there were a random werething for each moon. Werehippos for the first moon, werecarp for the second moon, weremooses for the third moon, etc.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: October 21, 2010, 07:47:46 pm »

Reminds me to the game "Golden Sun" with the werewolf village :P . Anyway it would be awesome if we at some point get this "Creepy village with common dark secret" plot since its one of the basic horror plots.

It would be cool if some werewolves retain there humanity (not restricted to humans but by the lack of a better word i work with that) and build little cells, tie themselves down or go all hermit.

Aunt Edith: heph stop repeating yourself.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:10:00 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: October 21, 2010, 08:05:54 pm »

Reminds me to the game "Golden Sun" with the werewolf village :P . Anyway it would be awesome if we at some point get this "Creppy village with common dark secret" plot at some point since its one of the basic horror plots.
I'm secretly hoping that there will be cults built around a certain group of night creatures. I'll be sure to watch out for human towns worshipping amphibic night creatures if something like this will be implemented someday.

Shadow over Stetnindum, anyone?
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: October 21, 2010, 08:36:38 pm »

[song]
Its beginning to look a lot like fishmen
[/song]

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: October 21, 2010, 10:06:47 pm »

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: October 22, 2010, 01:27:38 am »

A smart minotaur would bathe occasionally to reduce its smell and make it harder to notice. Most predator monsters do this in one way or another. . .
  Indecision aid ↑. Very much like cats always lick themselves in reaction to liquid, since that liquid would naturally be blood splatter. Although I didn't think anyone had a sense of smell in DF yet, so the blood and gore will be fine.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: October 22, 2010, 02:08:02 am »

the solution, of course, is to give creatures a sense of smell in DF.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: October 22, 2010, 02:29:17 am »

That's discussed somewhere or other, I think in a DFtalk. The problem is that each individual smell would have to be modeled the same as miasma, which would get very processor intensive very fast.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: October 22, 2010, 02:37:40 am »

That solution stinks (ba-dum-tish ;) ). Seriously though, would be cool.

That's discussed somewhere or other, I think in a DFtalk. The problem is that each individual smell would have to be modeled the same as miasma, which would get very processor intensive very fast.

Toady said miasma was extremely cheap processor-wise though, so that probably wouldn't really be much of an issue unless you were facing lots of monsters (in which case I'd worry more about pathfinding). That said, wouldn't smell make more sense as basically a trail laid by a creature when it walks? You could even make the trail being wider (i.e. detectable from further away) as a function of both how recently the creature passed, and how offensive it's odour was (fresh washed elf versus booze, blood and vomit soaked dwarf).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: October 22, 2010, 03:25:38 am »

(fresh washed elf versus booze, blood and vomit soaked dwarf).

Yeah, seriously, those damned elves stink!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: October 22, 2010, 06:57:33 am »

New (T)ravel maps! Not sure why, but I'm kind of getting an Ultima vibe from them. That should also help with actually finding where the buildings are in a town, which isn't always a given now.

Hey, aren't those Sun/Moon Position indicators new?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: October 22, 2010, 07:09:53 am »

Woo at the new travel map!

I like it.  I'll miss the cool effects that were in the old one (like the unexplored fog sometimes dissapearing  from mountaintops and such when you can see them clearly, even if your vision is blocked from seeing the lower altitudes.)  But it seems to me that it would be an improvement overall.

I'm guessing the yellow gem up top is a time indicator?  Will that give weather info as well or just time?  What about rivers?  With the lower level map will we have to go around them now if we don't have swimming skill or are able to fly, or will the adventurer still be able to teleport over an otherwise uncross-able torrent of water?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: October 22, 2010, 07:47:47 am »

Man, this release looks like it's gonna be great. I can't wait for the new travel maps and night creatures!

Will there be any sort of time abstraction in this release? It's not a necessity, given all the other cool stuff, but since being able to have a place to sleep at night was brought to the forefront, I was curious  :D
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 342