Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1817723 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #15720 on: March 01, 2016, 05:55:07 am »

I don't know why I'm ranting about this so much. Sorry. It's just my mother doesn't seem to understand my dislike of that place at all, nor the anxiety it causes in me. So I'm going to blather at you guys and you can ignore it as you wish.
Heck, I might as well chuck it in a spoiler to make it easier for you to choose whether or not to bother reading my neurotic rambling.
I'm such a considerate guy.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #15721 on: March 01, 2016, 06:26:38 am »

Ohh, what poems?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15722 on: March 01, 2016, 07:01:06 am »

No, for the most part, up to a certain limit
How big is that limit? Is flicking the needle and squirting a bit before injection pointless, then?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15723 on: March 01, 2016, 07:13:25 am »

How big is that limit? Is flicking the needle and squirting a bit before injection pointless, then?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15724 on: March 01, 2016, 08:40:21 am »

I wouldn't say pointless . It's just that there's a big safety margin. It also varies with the speed at which gas enters the venous system. I don't recall the specifics outright (this is not something I usually meddle with), but looking around I've found some textbooks and articles, in which they state that  the it's estimated that the lethal dose is around 200 to 300 ml of gas, depending on perfusion speed. Which is not to say that you won't get any symptoms for lower doses.

So, TL, DR: Big safety margin, but big uncertainity on where symptomatic and/or lethal doses start, so better keep on the safe side. 
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15725 on: March 01, 2016, 08:40:42 am »

A brief look at wikipedia tells me that air in the venous system requires quite a lot to be dangerous, otherwise they normally get stopped by the lungs and are filtered out. Human case reports suggest that injecting more than 100 mL of air into the venous system at rates greater than 100 mL/s can be fatal.

In the arteries it's a much bigger deal. The amount of arterial gas embolism that causes symptoms depends on location - 2 mL of air in the cerebral circulation can be fatal, while 0.5 mL of air into a coronary artery can cause cardiac arrest.

Since injections and the like tend to be done into the veins it's less of a concern than you might think.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15726 on: March 01, 2016, 08:46:36 am »

Ohh, what poems?
One book is a collection of "Comic and Curious Verse" selected by someone named J.M Cohen, the other is The Everlasting Mercy by John Masefield.
Both are quite good from what I've read so far! Even if some of the antiquated language takes a fair bit of effort to decipher. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #15727 on: March 01, 2016, 09:41:53 pm »

I freaked out once when I got distracted after getting out a needle, forgot to load it with insulin, and gave my kid a shot of air in the leg.  Nothing happened.  He said it didn't even hurt.  He was just pissed he had to get poked again.

Not getting injected directly into a vein or anything, but yeah... something that made me terrified a long time ago, because I was just vaguely aware that injecting air was supposed to be a bad thing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #15728 on: March 02, 2016, 01:20:22 am »

I have until 15'o'clock on Friday to write out my application for a summer job, and I'm not entirely sure what to write as my strengths. I've listed some of my more uncommon ones, but what sort of cliché, common strengths do people really have, that I could write down to make myself look better? The job is in the local Bureau of Culture, described as "customer service, marketing and office work".

Edit: I found this glossy magazine in our house. When will people learn that uncanny perfection does not equal beauty? Seriously, I had to put it away before I could feel safe eating breakfast.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 01:53:16 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15729 on: March 02, 2016, 05:14:26 am »

I have until 15'o'clock on Friday to write out my application for a summer job, and I'm not entirely sure what to write as my strengths. I've listed some of my more uncommon ones, but what sort of cliché, common strengths do people really have, that I could write down to make myself look better? The job is in the local Bureau of Culture, described as "customer service, marketing and office work".

Edit: I found this glossy magazine in our house. When will people learn that uncanny perfection does not equal beauty? Seriously, I had to put it away before I could feel safe eating breakfast.
Oh god what

that is not attractive

why did they do that
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15730 on: March 02, 2016, 05:55:26 am »

As a glittersexual I am triggered by this insensitivity. 
Booze is Life for Yoink

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #15731 on: March 02, 2016, 05:57:34 am »

Honestly a good 90% of fashions aren't attractive but apparently it's the effort/money spent that counts more than the aesthetics.

As a g*****rsexual I am triggered by this insensitivity. 
Please don't mention the g-word around me, I find it very triggering. G*****r ate my baby last year and I have post-traumatic-g*****r-disorder.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15732 on: March 02, 2016, 06:19:37 am »

trigger

trigger

* Ultimuh 's eyes dilate and foam froths from his mouth in rage.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15733 on: March 02, 2016, 12:04:01 pm »

Honestly I think a lot of the problem is that the angular lines of the bones in her facial structure don't match how they tried to pretty her up. They tried to hide them with the forwards bangs, but the angular structure is still very apparent in her chin. I think that if the makeup artists had of taken that structure into effect, rather than trying to hide it, the picture could be a lot better. (She seems like she might be a good candidate more for that "elven" sort of unearthly beauty than the earthy perfect porcelain doll type they are trying out with a face structure like that).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15734 on: March 02, 2016, 01:24:32 pm »

* Ultimuh 's eyes dilate and foam froths from his mouth in rage.
M-M-M-M-M-M-MULTITRIGGER
Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 1419