Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 844656 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7620 on: December 18, 2019, 02:22:24 pm »

Character suggestion: A tabaxi who is a human otherkin (To clarify, it is a tabaxi, but it identifies as human). Probably shaves its fur.

If tabaxi have breeds like real cats do and there's a tabaxi-sphynx, is this basically unintentional blackface?
I personally am of the opinion that if its unintentional, it's not blackface at all. Blackface is a caricature after all, so if you're not intending to mock blacks, not even subconsciously, it's not blackface.

But it would also depend on Tabaxi breeds having similar relationships between themselves to Earth humans.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 03:12:23 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7621 on: December 18, 2019, 03:09:30 pm »

Character suggestion: A tabaxi who is a human otherkin (To clarify, it is a tabaxi, but it identifies as human). Probably shaves its fur.

Brings to mind the Imga (iirc), the ape-men of TES that shave themselves to look human
Love, scriver~

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: December 19, 2019, 05:15:06 am »

Sounds a lot like the Wand of Undead Turning from Nethack.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 05:17:00 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: December 19, 2019, 05:32:21 am »

And here I was expecting it'd just rotate them 180 degrees

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: December 19, 2019, 05:56:27 pm »

For reasons I'm still not entirely able to articulate to myself, I really want to play in or GM for a game where the PCs are colonists/scouts from MtGs New Phyrexia sent to another plane to spread the philosophy and corruption of Phyrexia, but the machine that was used to send them breaks and strands them as the first and only wave of phyrexian invaders, forcing them to start and direct the process of phyresis themselves.

Something pleases me about the idea of a party having to find ways to spread their contagion in ways that either let it become publicly accepted or even endorsed to undergo completion, or that keep it secret so it isn't burned away before it can take root and grow.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: December 19, 2019, 07:33:54 pm »

I enjoy the idea of casting Animal Messenger every day to send a bird or squirrel or something to hurl insults at a very important noble, purely for the sake of bombarding the poor man with slurs he knows are coming but doesn't know when they'll come or what they'll contain, eventually sending him spiraling into madness and ordering the death of every small animal for miles around in order to get some respite from the constant degradation at the hands of wildlife.

Bonus points if you get to mimic someone else's voice while recording the message for the animal.

I mean, sure, you could do something marginally useful like setting up a password-activated glyph or weapon enchantment and then sending an animal in to pronounce the command word when your assassination target is present... But insulting someone Disney princess style seems much more entertaining.

On an unrelated note, since it can be used to emulate speech and doesn't have a verbal component, can Kenku just use Minor Illusion to speak complete non-mimicked sentences (thereby ruining the fun for everyone)? ...speaking of, can Kenku even cast spells with verbal components? How does that work?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: December 19, 2019, 07:41:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure that Kenku can still make non-speaking bird noises, right? Is so, the proper combination of those could probably be used for verbal components, because those are stated to be particular combinations of sounds more than specific words, and it's never stated that only humans can make the right vocalizations.
Probably.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: December 19, 2019, 10:29:04 pm »

I'd be willing to bet most nobles would know Animal Messenger is a spell that exists in the world, at least, in most of the D&D worlds I tend to run around in.

Most Kenku casters I've seen just have their character mimicking whoever they learned the spell from.

Minor Illusion would probably, work, but the same thing that makes Kenku unable to speak would probably apply to using Minor Illusion as well.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: December 19, 2019, 10:47:41 pm »

For reasons I'm still not entirely able to articulate to myself, I really want to play in or GM for a game where the PCs are colonists/scouts from MtGs New Phyrexia sent to another plane to spread the philosophy and corruption of Phyrexia, but the machine that was used to send them breaks and strands them as the first and only wave of phyrexian invaders, forcing them to start and direct the process of phyresis themselves.

Something pleases me about the idea of a party having to find ways to spread their contagion in ways that either let it become publicly accepted or even endorsed to undergo completion, or that keep it secret so it isn't burned away before it can take root and grow.

You want a cabal of thoroughly evil and ruthless scientists to spread an oil/ethos that makes people into cyborg zombies, so how long before the game turns into Cyberpunk: MtG?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: December 20, 2019, 03:25:45 am »

I'd be willing to bet most nobles would know Animal Messenger is a spell that exists in the world, at least, in most of the D&D worlds I tend to run around in.

Well sure, but that doesn't mean they know who is casting it. Hence the added bonus if you're allowed to mimic someone else's voice while doing it..

They know someone must be taking the piss, but the spell isn't particularly traceable if they don't recognize your voice. So they grow increasingly frustrated with the thought that some impertinent asshole is mocking their station, but they can't really stop them from doing so. Their power and authority mean nothing against the onslaught of sheer cheek.

...and if you're imitating someone else's voice, if they happen upon that individual they'll probably fly into a rage and enact swift vengeance for the innumerable slights on their honor. I can only imagine the flood of emotions when they get another one with the same voice the next day...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: December 20, 2019, 03:28:02 am »

No no no.

If you can disguise the voice, have the spell uttered in  *THEIR* voice.

With "Daily reminder!" as the message, reminding them to do various horrific and politically suicidal things.  Right there, in court. In front of everyone.

EG-- when the "Very important diplomat" is in the court, "Daily Reminder!" to remind the king that he "Needs to butter that turkey up real good before he sticks it to em, and invades without warning." 

Follow promptly with another "reminder" not to have his messengers remind him in court.
and then another, that he needs to keep "His condition" under control, and to "Drink his potion daily."

Etc.

If you are gonna fuck with royalty, you gotta make it absolutely sensational.  That way, the more he denies it, the more sensational it becomes.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 03:48:13 am by wierd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: December 20, 2019, 04:09:04 am »

"Note to self: Remember meeting with the baron's wife tonight; don't forget to take those potent herbs from the healer! We don't want another incident like last time."

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: December 20, 2019, 04:26:53 am »

On an unrelated note, since it can be used to emulate speech and doesn't have a verbal component, can Kenku just use Minor Illusion to speak complete non-mimicked sentences (thereby ruining the fun for everyone)?
Not easily, because they've also been cursed with a lack of creativity. Spontaneously coming up with a fresh sentence is difficult, though maybe something like making a previously heard sentence in someone else's voice could happen.

When I played a kenku caster, I had him be a retrograde amnesiac. This way, when he learned new spells, it wasn't be a matter of study as it is for many other casters, but of simply remembering previously forgotten things.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: December 20, 2019, 04:39:43 am »

"Note to self: Remember meeting with the baron's wife tonight; don't forget to take those potent herbs from the healer! We don't want another incident like last time."

Right idea, not salacious enough.

No no.. Not the barnoness,  no no.  Now, reminding him that he needs to bribe the baron's stable hand to get unfettered access to the baron's horse-- now THAT's salacious!
Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 623