Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 109

Author Topic: Mission 12: The Defense of Hephaestus: Don't taunt the dice.  (Read 212147 times)

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 12: The Defense of Hephaestus: Don't taunt the dice.
« Reply #1260 on: April 23, 2014, 11:48:35 am »

Team A

Continue with plan 'wait for shit to hit fan, use grenade if shit hits fan'. In this case, throw one (with a dynamic charge) at the furthest sod from the car

If nothing continues to happen, switch dynamic bonus over to using the manipulator

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: April 23, 2014, 12:23:04 pm »

Team H, Starfleet History Corps - Anton Chernozorov
>It's far from the first, but it is the largest and most coordinated I've heard of. After the Altered wars, many of the UWM's constituent planets wanted their freedom back. They didn't want to be bound to a large and, as they saw it, now obsolete military governing board. The first few hundred years of the UWM's rule was spent actively putting down these attempts to break free, either through political or military means.  After those initial attempts, further attempts were rarer, but did happen. The Red Moon Rebellion was the largest, but individual colonies sometimes attempted it as well. I never backed any of them, of course, because they were doomed to fail. Undermining a power structure this large requires not only a sufficient amount of manpower, but intimate knowledge of how it works, so that precision sabotage and attacks may be meted out. I can provide one, but not the other. And I only had one chance at this. If I backed the wrong group, there would be no second chance.
Anton raises en eyebrow.

"Would the UWM be that likely to detect your interference? I mean, it's probably a good thing you didn't let your opinion of the UWM impact your judgement of them back then, but so far I've gotten the impression that where it doesn't come to stomping enemies into the ground, the UWM doesn't exactly display stellar competence. They're good at dealing with problems, all kinds of dealing with problems, but they don't seem the type to dig into a deeper cause for things when a more apparent cause is available. I mean, they did kind of miss the true purpose of this whole HMRC business, which is fairly obvious if you really think about it." He sets his arm on the armrest of the chair, holding up a hand to count the elements of the situation on his fingers. "A fleet of starships, each carrying people with good reasons to hate the current government, who are tasked with carrying out important missions and are given access to surprising amounts of firepower, all under the command of one artificial intelligence with faster-than-light communications, great potential for multitasking, access to a whole lot of insider info, and a dark sense of humor."

He reclines back in the chair, smiling. "I'd imagine the moment whatever passes for higher command of the UWM gets wind of ARM, they'll spend ten minutes standing in a stupor, trying to figure out how the hell they missed this happening for so long. Задним умом каждый крепок... Hindsight's twenty-twenty, so the saying goes I think."

Keep talking to Steve. Keep keeping an eye on the sensors.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:27:30 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1262 on: April 23, 2014, 06:05:04 pm »

TEAM AD

Team D, "Dead Dirtbags in a box" - Thaddeus - Disguised Grunt - Ship Alpha

Holy shit it worked. So...I say we kill them off, just to be on the safe side

If the team doesn't want to kill off the sods, play along with plan. If they want to kill them off, laser shotgun the sod in front of Thaddeus, then target sod farthest away, use amp to heat a one foot sphere centered on the sods head by 150 degrees Celsius. Repeat with second farthest sod, then second closest sod

Team A D - Ship Alpha | Flint Westwood - Disguised Soldier

Holy shit it worked. So...I say we kill them off, just to be on the safe side
"Of course it worked. Told you everything would work out fine, didn't I?"

"Anyway, I say we just get out of here. We don't know what caused them to stop. We don't know when they'll come back 'online' so to speak. And I don't want to trigger any sort of defensive response by them. All we know is that they're stuck for now, so we should take advantage of that and leave the area as soon as possible."

Drive the hell out of here as quickly as possible. Head towards the bridge.

Team A

Continue with plan 'wait for shit to hit fan, use grenade if shit hits fan'. In this case, throw one (with a dynamic charge) at the furthest sod from the car

If nothing continues to happen, switch dynamic bonus over to using the manipulator

Team A+D, "Dead Dirtbags" - Milno - D Leader - Ship Alpha - Plan Fuck-You-In-A-Box

"All options are risky." Milno points out through the comms. "Either trying to kill or get past them could make them leave their state of stupidity. Standing around waiting until they get back to doing their stuff isn't an option either."

Same shit. Continue with plan. Activate EMM and pop up in case either shit happens or the plan works smoothly. Defend squishier people with the shield as needed. Orders still stand: kill sods as fast as possible, disable/knock out/temporarily kill humans as appropriate.

Flint sits still for an extra few seconds, looking at the frozen sods, before suddenly stomping on the gas pedal. The cart jerks forward into the nearest sod, slamming into him with all the power an oversized golf cart can muster. The lead sod staggers but quickly rights himself and jams his baton into the wheel well, locking up the front left tire as he jerks it up and to the side, attempting to flip the cart. As he does, Thad whips his rifle out of under the seat and leans out to get a good shot. The cart jerking into the air throws off his aim and his laser shotgun cooks a section of wall near his target. He groans in anger and jerks his hand out, trying to fry a distant sod with some mechanically assisted psychokinesis. He succeeds only on making the sod uncomfortably warm. The sods open fire an instant later, Gauss rounds ripping into the cart at the same moment Milno is bursting out of his box and Skylar is leaning around the corner, grenade in hand.

Milno slams his shield down sideways on the front of the car, embedding it there and creating adhoc cover for the two men in the front seat. He jerks into the air on a burst of rocket exhaust, hovers for a half second, adjusting his aim, and then opens fire with the integrated rifle in his gauntlet. The rifle fires in quick bursts of 2 or 3 shots, blowing volleyball sized holes in the sod's heads and chests, spraying the walls in fine bloody mist and filling the room with the smell of burnt flesh and smoke. He lands lightly in front of the cart, his rockets clicking off as his feet splash into the thin layer of blood coating the floor. All of maybe 7 seconds have passed between when Flint stepped on the gas and now.

Skylar just sort of steps out of the elevator, grenade still in hand. "Well...Guess I won't need this." He says, walking over to check on Flint and Thad. Thad took some shrapnel in the right leg and a painful grazing blow that carved a chunk of flesh from his side, but he seems alright. Flint seems to have taken the brunt of it, one shot basically severing his left leg at the knee and another catching him square in the right lung. He's just laying back in his chair, gasping and gurgling as blood pours from between the fingers clutching his chest.

TEAM B

Team B: Wild Weasels

"Okay, got the temperature, now to find out which room we need to heat...."

Is there a column for current temperature? If one isn't on the current tab/page/program, head back to the menu and search for something that might be it. If I find it, then search for the coldest rooms and use the other program to heat them up to about 325 Kelvin 
There are several rooms that appear to have low temperatures, though most of them are about the same temperature...there's one however that is a low temperature, lower then most, but warmer then the other low temperature rooms.  If you had to guess, you'd say that was probably this room, and the other low temp rooms are probably exposed to vacuum right now.

TEAM C

Denzel- Team C, Audax

"Careful about the 'distraction'. I'm not sure if it's lethal."

Charge with Auron and use my monoatomic sword and dynamic bonus to take down the Sods. Stay out of the line of Friendly Fire if possible.

Angel Team C

Copy that commander Steve, think we just sprung the trap, well, that solves that problem

Three sods left, time to bring those numbers down further, use laser rifle to do so

Auron, team C.

Run up to the sods and try stabbing them with my reiterpallasch, because why not.

If a sod manages to grab hold of me, instantly hit my jump rockets and boost him into a wall.

If all sods are killed this turn, place laser against roof and recover the distraction.

Denzel and Auron charge the sods with reckless abandon, Stabbing and slashing toward their opponents. Auron manages to connect, putting the point of his stabbing blade straight through one of the sod's chests, sneaking between the armor.  Denzel, however, finds his shot blocked, the Sod catching his wrist before he can bring the blade down.

And angel...angel can't really fire with her teammates just standing in the way .

TEAM E

Team E - Lerman

Locate corpse/large heavy thing, throw onto plates and bolt away to cover.

Team E

Strap the frag grenades onto the thing that Lerman finds (go look for one if there's nothing) and rig them to all blow at the same time. Prime the grenades just before he tosses the bomb in and take cover!

Lerman finds himself a corpse to use, but Bishop is having problems getting the explosives all rigged to explode at once.

TEAM F

TEAM G

Team G

Throw some chunks of debris at the turrets until they all take enough damage to malfunction, then try to cut the nearest one before retreating.

You're probably gonna need to make some larger, heavier pieces of debris then the  ones you've got sitting around if you're gonna effectively destroy or damage turrets with them. Ones you have don't have the mass to do damage at the speeds you can thrown them.

TEAM H

Team H, Starfleet History Corps - Anton Chernozorov
>It's far from the first, but it is the largest and most coordinated I've heard of. After the Altered wars, many of the UWM's constituent planets wanted their freedom back. They didn't want to be bound to a large and, as they saw it, now obsolete military governing board. The first few hundred years of the UWM's rule was spent actively putting down these attempts to break free, either through political or military means.  After those initial attempts, further attempts were rarer, but did happen. The Red Moon Rebellion was the largest, but individual colonies sometimes attempted it as well. I never backed any of them, of course, because they were doomed to fail. Undermining a power structure this large requires not only a sufficient amount of manpower, but intimate knowledge of how it works, so that precision sabotage and attacks may be meted out. I can provide one, but not the other. And I only had one chance at this. If I backed the wrong group, there would be no second chance.
Anton raises en eyebrow.

"Would the UWM be that likely to detect your interference? I mean, it's probably a good thing you didn't let your opinion of the UWM impact your judgement of them back then, but so far I've gotten the impression that where it doesn't come to stomping enemies into the ground, the UWM doesn't exactly display stellar competence. They're good at dealing with problems, all kinds of dealing with problems, but they don't seem the type to dig into a deeper cause for things when a more apparent cause is available. I mean, they did kind of miss the true purpose of this whole HMRC business, which is fairly obvious if you really think about it." He sets his arm on the armrest of the chair, holding up a hand to count the elements of the situation on his fingers. "A fleet of starships, each carrying people with good reasons to hate the current government, who are tasked with carrying out important missions and are given access to surprising amounts of firepower, all under the command of one artificial intelligence with faster-than-light communications, great potential for multitasking, access to a whole lot of insider info, and a dark sense of humor."

He reclines back in the chair, smiling. "I'd imagine the moment whatever passes for higher command of the UWM gets wind of ARM, they'll spend ten minutes standing in a stupor, trying to figure out how the hell they missed this happening for so long. Задним умом каждый крепок... Hindsight's twenty-twenty, so the saying goes I think."

Keep talking to Steve. Keep keeping an eye on the sensors.
They weren't quite as passive or stupid as they are now at the time. It's taken them several hundred years of stagnation to become what they are; at the time I had less influence and they had keener eyes.  You'll simply have to take my word for it, but for one reason or many, earlier revolutions were not favorable.

Hasala Nabin - Team H Sod Controller

Strongarm what Order 118 means out of the commanders. Use non-lethal violence (breaking arms, hitting nerve clusters, etc.) if they aren't cooperating. Interrogate them one at a time, and keep them seperated afterwords so they don't collaberate on lying about it. Use the hallway or a sideroom or something.

If Order 118 doesn't mean 'stand down', find out what does.

They all tell you it means some variation of stand down, give up or don't act.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 23, 2014, 06:42:25 pm »

Team A - Ship Alpha | Skylar - Support

Milno, go check the door, I'll patch Flint up.

Team H controller, hostile's down. Think you can get any other information out of their controllers regarding what's left between us and the bridge?
We may also want to play that message to other Sods under their control, starting with a group far away from the bridge, just to confirm that they're correct.

Plug the holes in Flint. Use a charge of the advanced kit if necessary.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 23, 2014, 06:43:11 pm »

Team G - May

Melt the Turrets around the corner using the MFM.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1265 on: April 23, 2014, 06:53:50 pm »

Flint grabbed Skylar's shoulder. *cough* "Sorry for... not warning, I couldn't-" *cough* "couldn't control it. Like something was in my mind." He made an effort to point at the box. "MK2. Might help... new guy." With that, he let go, laid back and closed his eyes. "Watch your..." *cough cough* "your mind..."
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:55:35 pm by Parisbre56 »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 23, 2014, 07:38:34 pm »

Team B: Wild Weasels

"Found it. Let's turn up the heat, shall we?"

Crank the heat in the room to around 325 Kelvin (~50 Celsius).
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 23, 2014, 07:51:07 pm »

Team B

Meeeehhhh

Stick around outside of the room while I wait for Morul to finish stuff.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 23, 2014, 07:54:26 pm »

Ship Beta: Team F: Grate: I Blame You And Your Cesspool Even Though They're Mostly Unrelated To My Muting (Which Had To Do With Replying To Really Old Posts About Civilization V)

Examine the control panel. Open the door to the Bridge if the way to do so is fairly obvious. Enter the bridge. Run away if I get shot, attacked, and/or killed.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:58:47 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 23, 2014, 08:45:25 pm »

Denzel Gaunt- Team C, Audax

Keep fighting! Use that +1 1/3 uncon bonus and 1/3 decomp! Use it!

((On another note, don't we have a wounded comrade? We should probably do something about that.))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: April 23, 2014, 09:54:57 pm »

((...I never posted?  Deeeerp.))

Brother Lars: Team F Chaplain

"May the shielding hands of Algis watch over us.  O Cog-Azaon, please grant us insight into this control panel!"

Mostly keep an eye out and my gauss rifle out, but also look over Grate's shoulder and try to help.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: April 23, 2014, 10:24:36 pm »

Auron, team C.

Stab the sod not attacking Denel.

((Yeah i should probably go back and loot our other teammate once we deal with the sods.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: April 23, 2014, 10:36:15 pm »

Team D, "Dead Dirtbags in a box" - Thaddeus - Disguised Grunt - Ship Alpha

((So, standard ARM procedure for injured allies? Loot everything and drag them along behind?))

Huh. My stuff is fairly minor compared to Flint. Mind If I borrow some of your stuff? Thanks bubs.

Loot the sods for anything useful, and move the bodies out of the way so the cart can drive around them. If the team wants to stay stealthy, drive the cart to the bridge. Otherwise, re-equip the Model C sub-exo suit, and if Flint doesn't need his Mk. II, put that on too. Help out with Flint however possible. 
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 23, 2014, 11:21:01 pm »

Flint grabbed Skylar's shoulder. *cough* "Sorry for... not warning, I couldn't-" *cough* "couldn't control it. Like something was in my mind." He made an effort to point at the box. "MK2. Might help... new guy." With that, he let go, laid back and closed his eyes. "Watch your..." *cough cough* "your mind..."

Might help you too, but you'll both live either way. For some definition of 'live'. Skylar pauses to root around for some medical supplies Hang on, the mission should almost be done, and we might need another one of your crazy schemes. Or at least a gun to point at that elevator while we root around in the bridge. Skylar suddenly smiles as he finds some cloth But I'll let the new guy know he can have your stuff. Now hold still...

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: April 24, 2014, 12:12:12 am »

Hasala Nabin - Team H Sod Controller

Team H controller, hostile's down. Think you can get any other information out of their controllers regarding what's left between us and the bridge?
We may also want to play that message to other Sods under their control, starting with a group far away from the bridge, just to confirm that they're correct.

"...Yeah. Yeah, sure."
Determine what else is between Team AD and the bridge, and most importantly what is on the bridge itself. Pass anything I get on to Team AD.
Get other command codes - and recordings - from the hostages, in the same method. Test their meaning on any Sods that don't appear to be close to the bridge, as appropriate. Get a code to accept codes from another person (me), if possible.

Promise no harm will come to them if they cooperate.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 109