Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971257 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #1590 on: September 08, 2015, 06:16:50 am »

I'm reading Eisenhorn right now, by Dan Abnett, another of the Holy Trinity of the Black Library. You should check it out.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1591 on: September 08, 2015, 09:22:07 am »

>implying you can ever get rid off Tyranids
Well, at the fluff freeze moment they might not be really in deep shit, but considering there is a Hive Fleet as big as damn Galaxy coming at them, they totally should stick to their own sector and prepare as hard as they can.
BABY CARRIER MARINES REPORTING IN
Actually, both the Grey Knights and Ultramarines were pretty cool and awesome back in the days but we can thank Our Spiritual Liege for the nowadays hate.
yadda yadda dadda don't understand that Imperial Fists are true Vanilla Marines
Actually, the whole Pain Glove thing... it's similar to real life cilice. And they aren't exactly another "Emo" chapter, the whole mortification thing is more what you would expect a monk to do. They're basically repenting for failing (as in, not murdering things hard enough to defend Him on Terra) the Emperor and, even better, they use the pain as some kind of focus. They train their bodies to feel pain which makes them more resilient or something... to the point that Chaplain Merek Grimaldus (the main character of novel Helsreach (by Aron Dembski-Bowden, the Holy Child of Holy Trinity of Black Library), the one who saved Celestial Lions) simply refuses to die and it works.
SPACE MONGOLIANS WRYYYYYYYYYYYY
White Scars have no history yet because they haven't succeeded in putting Dreadnoughts on bikes yet.
FLESH IS WEAK
Imperium needs a loyal counterpart of Iron Warriors. Also the source of Chapter Master Smashfucker (that's the actual name).
HOW CAN YOU BE DISSAPOINTED
whipping out the bolter
The Black Templars may have ties with Ecclesiarchy, but they sure aren't going to murder other Chapters (Just like Minotaurs and Inquisiton do) just because they tell them to. They're more like real life Templars/Teutonic Knights/Hospitalliers who didin't agree with Pope all the time and were generally on their own.  They sometimes pioritize the targets Imperial Cult POLITELY asks them to and enjoy discussions about teology.
BOLTER BITC- SISTERS
The Sisters are pretty hyper-elite (as in, training), they just are constrained by not being Space Marines.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: September 08, 2015, 09:29:44 am »

I feel like sisters of battle are closer in skill to inquisitors than space marines, and truth be told, i'd rather fight a space marine.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1593 on: September 08, 2015, 09:36:25 am »

Black Templars being loyalist world eaters HNNGGG TOO STRONK

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: September 08, 2015, 10:03:59 am »

>implying you can ever get rid off Tyranids
>Implying that you cannot get rid of Tyranids.
It's been proven, both in DoW 2 and via Macragge, that killing hive fleets is definitely not impossible, if you have enough surgical kaboomy.
Which, far as I've been shown, causes an even bigger breakdown amongst the troops than the standard loss-of-synapse stuff. Once Tyranids don't have synapse, they don't replicate.
Making a feral tyranid population FAR easier to manage than an ork population.

-snip-
The Sisters are pretty hyper-elite (as in, training), they just are constrained by not being Space Marines.
I feel like sisters of battle are closer in skill to inquisitors than space marines, and truth be told, i'd rather fight a space marine.
My LGS chief-GW-apologist states that BS 3 is that endengered by a lifetime of training. Hence why guardsmen and fire warriors have it.
Space marines only have 4/5 because of their superhuman stillness and recoil control and whatever else.
Meaning that standard humans with a BS of 4 are special, and those with a BS of 5 are traditionally superhuman.

Making sisters seem way more hardcore.
But 'truth be told', Space marine would take out a sister and an inquisitor ingame 9/10 times.
That extra S/T/I really matters.
I mean, heck, I use Commisar Fucking Yarrick on the table, and his fuckoff power claw gives him S6. The best humans are still kinda sad, tablewise.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1595 on: September 08, 2015, 10:25:16 am »

Unless of course you have genestealers or mutated gaunts or they go into hibernation

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: September 08, 2015, 10:39:16 am »

Some 'nids like Hormagaunts also reproduce independently of the brood organisms, so they can become a problem for hundreds or thousands of years if you let them scatter into the wilds. They're only wild animals at that point though, so not a real threat to a city or decent sized town unless a new link to the Hive Mind wanders within synapse range of them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1597 on: September 08, 2015, 11:20:30 am »

>implying you can truly kill off something that's bigger than galaxy
While you're not wrong, you aren't right too. Sources state that they have been "destroyed", but I would argue that it was truly destroyed. It was described (and also seen on multiple maps) as being as big (or bigger) than the whole Galaxy (with Leviathan being even bigger), which means the Ultrasmurfs killed off only the "spearhead" splinter fleet. Even if they did kill the "main" Hive Mind, it seems that the whole force splintered (there is at least one splinter in Tau space that works without the Macragge Hivemind) so it proably means the Smurfs are fucked (since it's easy to surgical-strike one hive-mind, much harder to strike down thousands of them) anyway.
Also, AFAIK, the DoW2 Hivefleet was just a splinter fleet and it certainly didin't stop them to come back in Retribution.

Crunchy
Honestly saying, crunch (the stats of tabletop units) differs from fluff on regular basis.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: September 08, 2015, 01:10:13 pm »

From what I recall Behemoth smashed straight into Ultramar, might have roughed up a few other places first, but basically ran right into Maccrage and got completely annihilated there, at the cost of basically crippling the Ultramarines for at least several centuries afterwards. Sure the tyranids got killed, but they literally ran out of ammunition. Takes a lot to make a fortress world in goddamn 40k do that.

Hive Fleet Kraken, on the other hand, split up into a billion different splinter fleets that took goddamn forever to deal with, and then Leviathan came from below the galactic plane and could only be stopped by exterminatusing a shitload of planets to deny them other avenues to go and then luring them straight into a large Ork empire, which may or may not catastrophically backfire.

Then there's the speculation that those three were only the vanguard for the actual Tyranid fleet, which, well ... another hypothetical.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: September 08, 2015, 10:06:03 pm »

Which hive fleet hit Iyanden?
Have forgotten.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: September 08, 2015, 10:59:53 pm »

>implying you can truly kill off something that's bigger than galaxy
While you're not wrong, you aren't right too. Sources state that they have been "destroyed", but I would argue that it was truly destroyed. It was described (and also seen on multiple maps) as being as big (or bigger) than the whole Galaxy (with Leviathan being even bigger), which means the Ultrasmurfs killed off only the "spearhead" splinter fleet. Even if they did kill the "main" Hive Mind, it seems that the whole force splintered (there is at least one splinter in Tau space that works without the Macragge Hivemind) so it proably means the Smurfs are fucked (since it's easy to surgical-strike one hive-mind, much harder to strike down thousands of them) anyway.
Also, AFAIK, the DoW2 Hivefleet was just a splinter fleet and it certainly didin't stop them to come back in Retribution.

Crunchy
Honestly saying, crunch (the stats of tabletop units) differs from fluff on regular basis.

1. The Stark Report is the only thing that really have to go off of right? Unless i've missed some new fluff?

2. Yes, I meant lore-wise rather than stat-wise. I mean in an open battle Space Marines over inquisitors/Sisters of Batttle any day... But you could theoretically escape a space marine, it's almost impossible to escape an inquisitor. Which led to the idea that sisters of battle are the faith militant's space marines, but still badass with flamethrowers and heresy-rooter-outers not to mention other less battle-oriented training.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: September 08, 2015, 11:40:09 pm »

Mmmmm...I might disagree. Space Marine Scout versus Sister of Battle, Sister of Battle wins most engagements, I'd argue. They don't have genehancement, but they do have righteousness, faith in the Emperor, and purity of cause. And when Living Saints are a thing, that means something. Sister of Battle versus Space Marine one on one, Space Marine most of the time, sure. But still. Sisters of Battle tend to be more numerous than Space Marines, if I understand right. Don't need all that 'one in a thousand' or whatever chances of being able to actually take the gene-seed, after all.

I very much like the Sisters, and am sad that their lore has been so brutally mauled recently, it seems. Half the reason I like the idea of a Chapter that works alongside them all the time.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: September 08, 2015, 11:48:28 pm »

Have forgotten.
Eeeeeeeeerr, Kraken I think? I know Maugun Ra killed literally all of them on his own though.
I think it was a splinter fleet.
Sig! Onol

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: September 08, 2015, 11:57:39 pm »

Have forgotten.
Eeeeeeeeerr, Kraken I think? I know Maugun Ra killed literally all of them on his own though.
I think it was a splinter fleet.
Hold on a sec, are there non-splinter fleets? Are those basically giant comglomerations of Tyranids that have already eaten the previous galaxy?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: September 09, 2015, 12:09:00 am »

What I mean by a splinter fleet is a tiny segment of one hive fleet. This is what Hive Fleet Kraken did, split up into a million little shards of kek that went around eating planets faster than the Imperium could stop them and growing strong off the eatings they got from that.

This particular battle was only so distinctive because all the nids got killed by one guy.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 824