Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 89

Author Topic: Mission 18: The final sunset  (Read 171422 times)

lw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 18: They that dwell within the heat.
« Reply #165 on: October 04, 2014, 03:43:09 pm »

God damn you guys are equipped with kinds of useful stuff, Mir said while looking at his handlaser worryingly.
Um, Cecil? Can I ask you for a favor? You might find it kind of strange though.
We all know each other and often meet IRL. The league of Nikitian's friends.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 04, 2014, 03:44:48 pm »

Yeah what'd'you need? Cecil replies, looking down at Mir.

lw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 04, 2014, 04:24:07 pm »

I should really state once more that this is gonna be weird. But... um... Could you grab my face and pull it really hard?
We all know each other and often meet IRL. The league of Nikitian's friends.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 04, 2014, 04:37:03 pm »

Cecil stares at Mir for a hard second.

All right.

Cecil, using one of his "normal" arms, grabs Mir's nose and gives it a good solid tug.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 05, 2014, 07:16:38 pm »

After waffling on to his teammates for a bit, Sambo thinks for a minute, then says to Steve:

"Seems to me that there could also be a bit of support given by old kingy-boy as well. I mean, he's king, so even if we look at this place as dirt-poor-bumfuck-nowhere, he's the one with all the money. Since we're doing this for him personal-like, maybe he could show a bit of graceful gratitude when we're done killing the poor bitch. I don't know. He might have a spare grav-tank that he's not using, or a whole armoury full of weapons, or maybe just all the booze we can drink on our way out of here. Does he have a harem? Read a book once that said desert-kings and tons of sluts always go together."
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 07:24:31 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2014, 07:17:47 am »

"You're saying support, but it sounds like you're after getting paid twice. In the loosest sense possible."

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #171 on: October 06, 2014, 11:36:18 am »

"Looks like... an evil spirit. Yes. And more in the desert. But task is doable."

"Can we get some things from this place before leaving? Lamps, scrap, microwaves, other things? Are there limits to what we can get if yes?"

Ask Steve.

After getting a reply (hopefully), Chief turns to Sambo.

"You have infinite laser rifle. You can turn it down and make the beam wide, yes?"

EDIT: Also, I am wearing the MKI with the faceplate down. Can I still feel the heat?

>You'd have to check the markets and haggle with them. I could try and get you some currency but I doubt they'll give us much. We're in space suits and carrying laser guns, to them it would look very much like we're just trying to extort money, because we're clearly already kitted out.

Yes, rather distressingly, you can.

Well, that seems to be not a scapegoat, at least. And apparently no lighteater, either.

"What about navigational aids? Most deserts aren't nice enough to provide landmarks, and from the sound of it, we're venturing into a particularly nasty one."

Ask Steve.

>Apparently there are markers along the path, old but still visible. They're gonna assign someone to take you out to the first marker. If you really get lost just get into contact with the ship and I'll provide directions.

"Hrmmm. Think you could send me some translated versions of the myths and stories? Like you said, there could be some truth to them, and as time goes on, perhaps the more accurate ones will stand out as it develops, and we might be able to guess what comes next."

Continue with the Anti-Mindfuck barriers, and see if Steve can get me some translated myths about this thing, and a list of the most commonly mentioned powers or phenomenon related to it.

>They vary a lot. Let me cross reference them for repeated motifs and aspects of the creature...Hmm.  They state that the inhabited person's skin will turn some shade of red - it's described using a lot of different and colorful metaphors in the different texts but that's the gist of it - and they will begin releasing an unnatural heat. Apparently it jumps between bodies using shadow and can't stand sunlight when not in a body, at least not in this form.  In many of the stories it tries to manipulate people, though there's nothing about it directly influencing their minds. Beyond this it gets really...well disparate in terms of what it can do. It seems like it can manipulate and focus the heat it gives off, and that it can do unnatural things with the host body. Unfortunately there's also tons of clearly influenced stuff like it making women barren or summoning eagles or conjuring shades of the dead to attack the living.

((@piecewise, can Tek use his universal translator to talk to the woman, if needed?))
Considering you pulled that out of nowhere for the sake of translating your own speech, no. No getting yourself an implausible useful and powerful thing simply because your character talks funny.

That be the sort of thing the Heph council  breaks knees for.

((@piecewise, can Tek use his universal translator to talk to the woman, if needed?))
((Wouldn't it be a better idea to say that he just has a binary translator that makes him sound like Bane strapped to his face?))
So he speaks in weird muffled sometimes unintelligible British rather then binary?

"Mufddsgisdifsd for you!. Crumpet!"

"Sounds like just the thing. The more options we've got to keep her hot and the gribbly inside her asleep, the better. Are we talking like a thing that strips shit off the walls for a paint-job, or an actual gun here? What sort of battery life has it got?"

Vincent taps the backpack battery (if I don't have the backpack, I'll scrap this message and just ignore my previous message)

"Battery powered, but should be hot enough to have at least some impact, as it was one of the ones given to us in the arctic mission to dig with. I haven't recharged the battery, but I didn't use it too much, so it should be good" Vincent checks to see if he can find something to show how much charge is left on the heat gun battery backpack, and if he does so, notes how much is left
It's got about 85% charge left.

Gorat is unsure what to make of the heat gun. Is it or isn't it a good idea, he wonders, but decides to say nothing. Instead, he types away at his wristpad.

Quote from: Gorat 'Chin' Ivanos, to Steve
So far, what little evidence we have suggests that rather than a singular lifeform, we are dealing with a species of Eaters that can survive in vacuum for some time. Has that mysterious meteor been examined, or should we add that to our agenda? Has the meteor's trajectory and point of origin been determined? If so, have any celestial bodies been identified for examination based on this?

Ask Steve the above via wristpad.

>The meteor has not been examined, but it probably would have fragmented when it hit. As per the meteor's location...let me reference some data about when these stories came to be and where the planet was at the time.  Here's something. The planet intercepts a cloud, something like the asteroid belt in the sol system though its pieces tend to be smaller. It intercepts it every 67 years, because of rotation difference, but if we extrapolate back it  seems like it was about the right time for the old stories. And it just intercepted it recently as well. We may have to get someone out there to look into that; a probe is nothing else. 

Does Vincent's heat gun look like it is compatible with the antiquated backpack generator?
It looks like you could at least recharge the battery pack using it.

ready for movement of host to sacrificial pit

Spoiler: Message for Steve (click to show/hide)
>I don't know. You could try decapitating her and throwing the body into the pit. Though it might not work. We have no data; I can't tell you one way or another.

After waffling on to his teammates for a bit, Sambo thinks for a minute, then says to Steve:

"Seems to me that there could also be a bit of support given by old kingy-boy as well. I mean, he's king, so even if we look at this place as dirt-poor-bumfuck-nowhere, he's the one with all the money. Since we're doing this for him personal-like, maybe he could show a bit of graceful gratitude when we're done killing the poor bitch. I don't know. He might have a spare grav-tank that he's not using, or a whole armoury full of weapons, or maybe just all the booze we can drink on our way out of here. Does he have a harem? Read a book once that said desert-kings and tons of sluts always go together."

>Does anyone have a mono-razor or some sort of cutting implement I can borrow?

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 06, 2014, 12:34:59 pm »

((Aww Yiss, I brought the backpack)) "85% charge, If I only use it when it gets dark, we should be good for a while"
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 06, 2014, 12:35:21 pm »

Cecil stares at Mir for a hard second.

All right.

Cecil, using one of his "normal" arms, grabs Mir's nose and gives it a good solid tug.

Looks like I got missed.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2014, 02:21:12 pm »

"Hm. How high is sun? What is... the season, yes? Is the planet strange in its rotations, or is it not strange in any way?"

Ask Steve. Does he have handy astronomical data from which we can estimate the length of daylight hours versus the night? He should, since he's all up in this space shit usually. What's the length of a full daily rotation? Is there only one sun? Any other peculiar catches that need to be mentioned there? And if it's basically Earthlike, then, once again, how much daylight do we get?

Also, any markets nearby?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2014, 02:24:02 pm »

"How many groups will be trying to kill us or at least stop us?"

Ask.

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 06, 2014, 02:42:24 pm »

"Alright, take care I'm going shopping. You have my number give me a ring if you need me."
Go find a market to barter at. Looking specifically for a generator.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2014, 02:44:25 pm »

"Alright, take care I'm going shopping. You have my number give me a ring if you need me."
Go find a market to barter at. Looking specifically for a generator.

Follow this man, but keep an eye out for an iron monger or something of that nature - person that sells basic tools, probably someone who sells lights as well.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2014, 03:07:02 pm »

>Does anyone have a mono-razor or some sort of cutting implement I can borrow?

I've got a cutting torch, if you want to borrow it.

Err... W-why are you asking?
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2014, 03:25:40 pm »

"Well, check one and two. Jumping between shadows is worrying. Most myths surrounding things like this have them be the shady manipulator type, and I'm not gonna believe for a second it can't mind control us. It being able to focus the heat is also worrying. And as for the really weird shit, I think assuming it can until we can prove it can't is a good idea, because honestly, I can jump dimensions and kill things with my mind, and I'm just human. Who knows what this can do. And I think he wants to teach someone a lesson."

Continue with the mental barriers, and ask for a rough estimate of how long it will take to arrive at the pit, accounting for one or two days worth of fuckups.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 89