Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 89

Author Topic: Mission 18: The final sunset  (Read 170792 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 18: The definition of Insanity.
« Reply #645 on: December 02, 2014, 11:06:01 pm »

((+1 lols on putting yourself directly in firing line, well after my firing action. +1 Con doesn't count for anything on hilarious team death. I might hit the mound. C'mon 6's.... ))
It's a game. Have fun.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 03, 2014, 07:46:47 pm »

Take quick stock of supplies, and estimate how much farther we have to go.
You take stock. There's about 12 chem logs left and the battery on the heat gun is almost out.
Can I retroactively leave my generator with the other group to charge Vincent's heat gun?
Sure

((I'm pretty sure your heat gun is running off the generator now.))
((Oh, hey, I missed that comment, I guess I'll be updating my action then))
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #647 on: December 10, 2014, 06:10:06 pm »

((My, don't I look foolish now? I mean, more foolish than usual.))

"I could have sworn... Team Chief, status?"

Ask Team Chief via radio. Consider the likelihood that these spheres are tunneling towards the Eater.

It's possible they are, though these tunnels appear rather old and cool. They seem to have been made quite a long time ago.

Fetch a smaller stone from the place and put it in my toolbox so that a comparison can perhaps be made later in the labs. Get over to that 45 degree downward tunnel and check it with the camera+light+rope probes.

Do the tunnels have the same technicolor mineral patterns as the chamber we found?

"I could have sworn... Team Chief, status?"

"Nobody dead yet. Heard sound like giant metal worm shooting through tunnel, passed us by. Much mystery down here, very interesting. Network of tunnels, look volcanic, colorful. Lots of very smooth stones. Eater has wealth of roads, seems like."
Sample acquired. The tunnels all have the same appearance, that of being forcibly melted and technicolor. The 45 degree tunnel extends beyond the length of your rope without any difference or change. Wherever it leads, it's very deep

"Oi, can I grab a chem-log? Yeah? Thanks."

Grab a chem-log, ignite it and throw it on top of the mound where the Eater is. Then run back to my previous "safe" firing position. Fire a bit of a burst of laser rifle fire at the mound on 100%, lowest dispersion, heating up my side of the mound for good measure.

"Hopefully that'll keep the prick a bit warmer once he pops up for air. Actually, hopefully the prick stays buried. He's starting to shit me. Either way, my side's the hot side, so it might fuck off in the other direction when it does come up."

"Steve, mate. Hasn't really been an option up until this point, but I'm gonna see if we can shepherd this bloody thing around with heat. You might wanna record this shit. Could be handy to know. Hopefully it goes down and burns the other poor pricks. Or at least the hell away from me."
You throw a log on the sand pile. The log immediately starts burning. Huh. You scamper back away and take up another firing position.

Crawl to the junction, check each tunnel with lights and see what awaits. Is there anything that could have caused the rumbling? Watch the ceiling for eater presence.

"I have a few tunnels, one going straight down. I'm gonna check and see if I can find anything related to the rumbling."
You crawl into place and look down the tunnels, most are the same but the one off to your left, basically no bigger then your shoulders, has faint light coming from it, and a gentle breeze.

I-I don't think a gauss rifle was the best weapon to pick on this mission... The laser would be a better alternative against the eater...

Regret weapon choice whilst backing away from the mound of semi-molten sand. No, scratch that, cautiously advance and peer into the semi-molten glass if possible from a "safe-ish" distance.

((Completely forgot, but did Steve give me back my cutting torch from a while back? It may be useful as a makeshift heat source... Otherwise, I suppose could remove the solenoid coil from the rifle and make a makeshift radiator from it... Running a constant current should through it should produce a fair amount of heat. Should have thought of this sooner, but oh well..))

About all you can make out is a faint inner glow.

Chill in the dark, watch out for Timmy.
You twiddle your thumbs, happy not to be with the rest of the team.

Use baton/shield to crack the top off of the mound so that the eater can melt itself out a bit so we can actually drag it rather than being stuck with a big lump-o-glass, jump back if the eater does anything or heat unbearable
You charge in and start slapping at the mound with your shield and baton, coating them in molten glass, trying to get the eater out before it entombs itself. Your tools start to melt from the heat.

Start heating the mound while waiting for eater to surface, heat eater again once surfaced, also check battery, as well as the fuel for the generator
Battery is at 0, but the generator is providing power and has about 4/5ths it's tank left.

The sounds coming from the mound are quite extraordinary, but the mound itself, despite all the heat being thrown on it, seems to be cooling down and solidifying as the sun rises. By the time the sun is actually visible the mound is a black to very dark red mass with a flickering yellow glow encased within it. The sounds are quieting as well.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 10, 2014, 06:43:40 pm »

"Soooo, it's trapped itself in a glass.... Probably a sphere.... Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" Continue heating until the group has decided the next move, maybe be prepared to duck and cover vitals incase of glass sphere explosion
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 10, 2014, 07:32:32 pm »

It's a thing that I don't like one bit. Get it out of there!
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 10, 2014, 07:39:13 pm »

Return to the intersection and mark the way back with an arrow so I don't get lost. Then investigate the largest branching tunnel.
Rescue Chief and Han if the usual happens.

You forgot my action. Perform this action.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 10, 2014, 10:25:56 pm »

"Uh Steve, we kinda borked the mission, well it is trapped in about a ton of glass or so umm you have a tow truck you can send?"
stop beating on the thing of glass, message steve
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:27:30 pm by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 11, 2014, 07:39:46 am »

Find Han, where'er he may be.

Failing that, locate Dubley.

And if that doesn't work either, go down the tunnel I'm currently in, but tread carefully. Observe any changes in the walls. Is it just the minerals being funny (in which case they probably should start looking different some distance down the line) or does the whole thing look more sinisterly magical than that?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 11, 2014, 11:32:40 am »

Carefully approach the glass mound. Consider reasonable ways to transport it. Retreat if cracks are starting to show.

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #654 on: December 11, 2014, 11:34:46 am »

Hmm... I wonder...

Attempt to dismantle the gauss rifle and repurpose the solenoid coil as a heat source, as stated in the ramblings in my previous post.
Spoiler: Previous Post (click to show/hide)

((Got a +1 bonus to Handiwork... I hope I can do this out in the middle of nowhere with few tools. If Kai survives this mission, I'll try to give him a proper toolkit for use on future missions. If he survives.))
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 11, 2014, 06:51:11 pm »

"Gorat! Couldn't you just get the bloody thing out with your rockets? I'll smash it open with my kinetic amp after that if you want. Should be a piece of piss."

Maintain firing position, charge Con bonus while preparing to give covering fire to crew members if the Eater emerges.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:53:15 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 11, 2014, 07:46:13 pm »

I'm just gonna keep guarding this here hole in the desert.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Nunzillor

« Reply #657 on: December 11, 2014, 10:01:50 pm »

"Tek supposes we could transport this thing if we broke it into a smaller piece of glass, perhaps using kinetic amps."

What color is the sky, anyway?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:03:38 pm by Nunzillor »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 12, 2014, 10:52:23 am »

"Gorat! Couldn't you just get the bloody thing out with your rockets? I'll smash it open with my kinetic amp after that if you want. Should be a piece of piss."

Maintain firing position, charge Con bonus while preparing to give covering fire to crew members if the Eater emerges.

"You're either thinking Fey'ri or Dubley. I don't have rockets."

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #659 on: December 12, 2014, 02:46:02 pm »

"Soooo, it's trapped itself in a glass.... Probably a sphere.... Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" Continue heating until the group has decided the next move, maybe be prepared to duck and cover vitals incase of glass sphere explosion
Your heat isn't enough to really do anything to the glass, you're kinda just wasting energy at this point.

Return to the intersection and mark the way back with an arrow so I don't get lost. Then investigate the largest branching tunnel.
Rescue Chief and Han if the usual happens.

You forgot my action. Perform this action.
The largest tunnel leads away and then down into another near vertical shaft. There's only darkness below, but there are some unpleasant sounds down there. A crackling like cooling glass.

"Uh Steve, we kinda borked the mission, well it is trapped in about a ton of glass or so umm you have a tow truck you can send?"
stop beating on the thing of glass, message steve
>You've got tools, just cut enough of it away to drag the thing.

Find Han, where'er he may be.

Failing that, locate Dubley.

And if that doesn't work either, go down the tunnel I'm currently in, but tread carefully. Observe any changes in the walls. Is it just the minerals being funny (in which case they probably should start looking different some distance down the line) or does the whole thing look more sinisterly magical than that?

You reconnect with Han. Physically, at least. Emotionally, you don't know if you'll ever get over what he's done.

HE KNOWS WHAT HE DID!

Carefully approach the glass mound. Consider reasonable ways to transport it. Retreat if cracks are starting to show.

The easiest way seems to be slicing it down until you have a reasonable sized glass coffin with the eater inside and then dragging it.

Failing that, you could just wait till night. At that point it would probably melt it's way out, if the past nights are any indication.

Hmm... I wonder...

Attempt to dismantle the gauss rifle and repurpose the solenoid coil as a heat source, as stated in the ramblings in my previous post.
Spoiler: Previous Post (click to show/hide)

((Got a +1 bonus to Handiwork... I hope I can do this out in the middle of nowhere with few tools. If Kai survives this mission, I'll try to give him a proper toolkit for use on future missions. If he survives.))
[5+1]
You tear the coil out of the rifle like a pulp fiction villain tears the heart out of a screaming victim: in a very messy, damaging fashion that renders the original owner inoperable,so to speak.

Maintaining
I'm just gonna keep guarding this here hole in the desert.
Position.

"Tek supposes we could transport this thing if we broke it into a smaller piece of glass, perhaps using kinetic amps."

What color is the sky, anyway?
Right now? Sorta a light pinkish with tinges of fading dark blue from the night over on the opposite horizon. Though it's a light blue normally, during the day.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 89