Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441127 times)

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1050 on: July 25, 2016, 05:32:09 pm »

I will have to say, do not underestimate crew, mainly the engineer will reduce fuel cost by 10% every so often. I got one rather quickly and I haven't had to refuel since the one trip to the moon. At this point it costs me 6 fuel to go 1 vertical map distance.
Mine ups my fuel capacity, now it's around 3000.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: July 25, 2016, 05:43:50 pm »

I need someone to test out the server I have up. PM me for details. If it works out I'll hand out the details via PM to anyone who asks but I'd rather not post them public for fear of griefers.
I'd be up for a little vanilla action, haven't played it in ages.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: July 25, 2016, 06:45:19 pm »

(Tentacle planet where?)
It isn't removed entirely.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I will have to say, do not underestimate crew, mainly the engineer will reduce fuel cost by 10% every so often. I got one rather quickly and I haven't had to refuel since the one trip to the moon. At this point it costs me 6 fuel to go 1 vertical map distance.
Mine ups my fuel capacity, now it's around 3000.
Mechanic increases the fuel capacity, engineer increases fuel efficiency. At this point I can go anywhere on 6 fuel.

I did some more tests with crew and bringing them to a planet, they are effectively meat shields since their damage output is rather low even by npc standards. They do have alot of health and will appear back at the ship if they die.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:53:39 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: July 25, 2016, 06:58:32 pm »

So for someone who hasn't played this since we had a server with Avali on it (the fluffy space raptor guys, as twi's personal text said once) and doesn't want to dig through the complaining and the arg and the chucklefish nonsense, is this worth trying again, and how much different is it from back then?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: July 25, 2016, 07:47:35 pm »

Not terribly impressed with the hoverbikes. They get caught on every weird terrain feature and once you
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

you can move about as fast for a good while anyways.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: July 25, 2016, 08:15:18 pm »

So for someone who hasn't played this since we had a server with Avali on it (the fluffy space raptor guys, as twi's personal text said once) and doesn't want to dig through the complaining and the arg and the chucklefish nonsense, is this worth trying again, and how much different is it from back then?
I'd recommend giving it a shot. There's an introductory mission now, something actually resembling a plot, no more sector nonsense. You can upgrade your ship and find crew for it. You can get randomly generated quests from NPCs on planets and create your own colonies. If you like modding, there's plenty of that going on. There is even Steam Workshop support in case you hate the Chucklefish forums.

It's far from perfect, but it's a good time-waster and not at all the sign of the apocalypse that some have made it out to be.

(The Avali you mentioned are in the Workshop as well, they're pretty cool and even spawn as NPCs.)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 25, 2016, 08:56:17 pm »

I'd recommend giving it a shot. There's an introductory mission now, something actually resembling a plot, no more sector nonsense. You can upgrade your ship and find crew for it. You can get randomly generated quests from NPCs on planets and create your own colonies. If you like modding, there's plenty of that going on. There is even Steam Workshop support in case you hate the Chucklefish forums.

It's far from perfect, but it's a good time-waster and not at all the sign of the apocalypse that some have made it out to be.

(The Avali you mentioned are in the Workshop as well, they're pretty cool and even spawn as NPCs.)
Avali Triage appears to be having assorted little bugs though. I'll give it a shot once those are sorted out I think.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: July 25, 2016, 09:32:42 pm »

If you want fuel you have to mine it on an airless moon with a ghost that hunts you down because *shrug* I dunno they wanted it to be more grindy and less easy to get fuel?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 25, 2016, 10:12:23 pm »

I wouldn't really call fuel getting "grindy". Doesn't take that long to get enough.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: July 25, 2016, 10:12:56 pm »

I wouldn't really call fuel getting "grindy". Doesn't take that long to get enough.

More grindy than it is or needs to be.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: July 25, 2016, 11:21:19 pm »

I just buy my own. It's cheap enough. Kinda have to without the EPP.

Also, if you're having trouble killing things early on, hunting spears are freaking FANTASTIC at killing the mobs in the first mission. I mean, like wow good.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: July 25, 2016, 11:28:41 pm »

Got a flute and a microphone. Bay12 Band when?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 11:40:22 pm by BigD145 »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: July 25, 2016, 11:55:43 pm »

Disappointed I still cannot even start the game and the devs still have not commented on the issue.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: July 26, 2016, 12:56:37 am »

Disappointed I still cannot even start the game and the devs still have not commented on the issue.
Delete the install and reinstall it, something similar happened when the new version came out and it fixed it.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: July 26, 2016, 01:04:09 am »

I will be happy when I can finally pause in singleplayer. Beyond that...while I have a lot of nitpicks about the stuff the latest updates added/removed/changed/broke, this will pass just like all the things that bugged me back when this game was in early access.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 130