Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3759 3760 [3761] 3762 3763 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5917827 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #56400 on: November 13, 2021, 05:09:52 am »

He got the bones, somehow. I read on the wiki that butchers workshop needs to have corpses on the same z-level. I solved it. He made a turkey bone shield with a gem engraving on it.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #56401 on: November 13, 2021, 06:30:42 am »

Makes sense. I tend to only butcher tame animals from caravans - but recently we had some giant buzzards decide to die in our farm area and was pleasantly surprised to see them turn into meals.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56402 on: November 13, 2021, 04:02:32 pm »

I butchered almost all the dogs, now I have a good stock of bone. The funny thing is, I have been relying on dogs and cats for meat ever since, not the actual livestock.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56403 on: November 13, 2021, 04:07:44 pm »

Dogs and cats breed well, it's not surprising. Cat leather shoes and dog leather trousers are also a thing you'll find you're producing a lot of...

You need to keep the corpse and refuse stockpiles very close to the butcher, yes. I usually devote a z-level to butchery and corpses and refuse, and have the rooms on that level all have entries and exits placed diagonally, so that the miasma can't travel throughout the level and up and down z-levels. Doors and hatches are also necessary to keep in the stench. The result is a huge stockpile of bones, shells, hooves and horns for decorating the fort, and incidentally for moody dorfs to rummage through.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56404 on: November 13, 2021, 08:10:54 pm »

A web spitting forest titan arrived, burrows were activated, but then found to be massively flawed as a steady stream of dwarves began taking the outdoor route to store items in stockpiles. 

The web spitting turned out to be a blessing as the titan had to stop to spit the webs, which were low range, and completely inaccurate.  Then it approached a large group of dwarves, but locked onto 1 who was taking the trap hallway.  I thought for a moment I might be able to capture it in a cage and start easy silk production.

But Asteblikot Tellink, 1 of the newer recruits, but already a talented swordsdwarf decided to disobey the station orders deeper in the fort, and kill the forest titan literally 1 tile from a cage trap.  I'm happy that there were no losses, but also a little let down to have failed to capture a web spitting titan.  The wiki says they're almost entirely immune to traps, but I wanted to see for myself Asteblikot!

Spoiler: Blurry combat log (click to show/hide)

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #56405 on: November 14, 2021, 04:15:33 am »

A web spitting forest titan arrived [...]

Wonderful!  Let me paraphrase the story:

"A big scary snail is coming. Don't go outside!"  "Go outside, you say?"  The overseer tried to stutter a clarification, but it was too late.  The dwarves were walking around the surface like ants.

With a mighty slurch, the snail crawled over, preparing its sticky webbing to prank Urist with.  And it crawled closer.  Almost there.  Wait up, Urist, slow down!  Okay finally got there.  Just as the silken strands spurt forth, Urist bent down to tie her shoe, and she didn't even notice the webbing flying over her head.  Snail was miffled and gurgled up another sticky spittle.  But just at that moment, Urist resumed walking again, still oblivious to her peril.

In the tunnel, snail figured, Urist would not be able to dodge so expertly!  Those pityful cage traps won't work against the mighty forest titan, haha!  And as snail crept around the traps, closing in on Urist, the valiant swordsdwarf Asbestos approached.  "Ew, slimy!" and promptly stomped on the snail.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56406 on: November 14, 2021, 07:03:21 am »

My fort, Silverystocked, is on a two tile, savage forest island situated on a giant cove. I think its a tropical one, since I have dry and wet seasons here. I haven't observed any agression from the wildlife at all, most intimidating thing was a giant jumping spider frolicking around.

Werdly though, the migrant waves just kept coming, even though they probabaly shouldn't. At least I kept the max population at 100 using the newbie pack. But the fort really filled up quick. I am still in the process of giving them all rooms. Before I even started playing, I read that after two hardcoded migrant waves, they would stop if the conditions weren't available. They did. Caravans and diplomats also keep coming yearly. How do they cross the ocean, is a mystery for me.

The island is very close to the mainland, by a total of two or so map tiles. Now, since both migrants and traders can come here, I wonder if invaders can too. I didn't touch anything except the population cap, everything else is vanilla.

I don't have a militia at all.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56407 on: November 14, 2021, 02:48:51 pm »

Got not one, not two, but seven giant wild boars in cage traps. One even gave birth inside the cage.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56408 on: November 14, 2021, 06:29:06 pm »

Werdly though, the migrant waves just kept coming, even though they probabaly shouldn't.
[...]
The island is very close to the mainland, by a total of two or so map tiles. Now, since both migrants and traders can come here, I wonder if invaders can too.

Migrants and (your civ's) dwarven merchants aren't bothered by bodies of water - presumably their desire for fresh plump helmet and giant wild boar roasts is strong enough to make them swim the whole distance.

The two hard-coded migrant waves are only significant for a dead civ (in which case you'll never receive more migrants after that, no matter where you are on the map).

You can use 'c' and attempt to create a mission raiding some site on the mainland - if you can raid them, they can siege you. If not, you'll only get visited by forgotten beasts and megabeasts.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56409 on: November 14, 2021, 07:48:54 pm »

You can use 'c' and attempt to create a mission raiding some site on the mainland - if you can raid them, they can siege you. If not, you'll only get visited by forgotten beasts and megabeasts.

Do you think that your own civ would send hostile troops if you started a civil war with them?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56410 on: November 15, 2021, 01:45:56 am »

They dont, last time i did that. and they dont send diplomats to negotiate a truce either. So it ends up permanently locking you out of migrants, caravans, baronies, becoming the mountain home, anything that requires access to the home civ.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56411 on: November 15, 2021, 02:18:54 am »

Interesting. The wiki seems to corroborate that. Seems you'll have to embark near a different dwarven civ if you want siegers to arrive with steel.

Seems appropriate that dwarves don't bother to extinguish their renegade fortresses - just exile the lot of them and cut off all contact. Something about that is very dwarven.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56412 on: November 15, 2021, 01:09:36 pm »

A farmer went into a mood. He demanded alot. Metal bars, raw gems, leather, stone, wood, and most importantly fabric. I have some spare fabric, but they are either cave spider silk, or wool.

I concluded that he wants plant fabric. I am now trying to figure out how to process kenaf into that.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56413 on: November 15, 2021, 10:08:20 pm »

I concluded that he wants plant fabric. I am now trying to figure out how to process kenaf into that.

You'll need to process plants at a farmers workshop. The dwarf who does it needs a free farmers workshop and the threshing ability to be active. I process a lot of plant fibre, and make pig tail cloth regularly, it's fun to think the clothing they are wearing grew in our fort.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56414 on: November 16, 2021, 12:38:21 am »

Yeah - the surface might have hemp or kenaf or that sort of thing. For others, in a desperate situation, enter the caverns and gather some pigtails - plant-based cloth is easy to be overwhelmed by, but is usually available in every fort.
Pages: 1 ... 3759 3760 [3761] 3762 3763 ... 3838