Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845442 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5595 on: August 23, 2018, 07:49:48 am »

That's it, it's official. the stolen artifact is a flaming baby skull, that in addition to causing horrible nightmare visions of incomprehensible horror-- also shouts an endless stream of ethnic profanities to everyone in earshot.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: August 23, 2018, 08:00:05 am »

Wasn't that an episode of Black Mirror?

Anyways, yeah. No word yet on actually getting accepted into the group (or denied, for that matter), I should probably do some sort of follow up and ask about stuff. I'm gonna have to get my hands on the books somehow, and presumably it's encouraged to bring snacks or something. Also might be helpful to know where it's supposed to happen, if it does happen.

Hopefully I can find a suitably stupid gimmick character to make in 5e. I remember a lot of extremely excellent ideas I slapped together back when Wrex was fiddling with some homebrew stuff, like the beefy psionic who conjured psy-greatswords and flung them at enemies, or the asshole spellcaster who transformed into a wolf and made everyone fall over. I also remember the difficulties in choosing between Mr. Crab and Mr. Bear for level one +30 grapple check shenanigans, and making a horrifying four-armed rat surgeon who could sneak attack for obscene amounts of damage.

I really shouldn't be allowed within 20 paces of character generation systems.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: August 23, 2018, 08:08:03 am »

You could create a heavy metal bardbarian. Nothing in the rules stops you from using your bardic inspiration while raging. Then just homebrew an axe that is also an axe, pick a suitably metal race, practice your viking accent and you're set.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: August 23, 2018, 08:42:03 am »

You could create a heavy metal bardbarian. Nothing in the rules stops you from using your bardic inspiration while raging. Then just homebrew an axe that is also an axe, pick a suitably metal race, practice your viking accent and you're set.
Pretty sure everyone in the group is of nordic heritage, myself included. Not entirely sure how well pushing the pop-viking aspect would go...

Also, I do still try to make characters that can at least hold their own in some way... I'm not quite at the point where I'd do a strength wizard just for the sake of doing a strength wizard; who then would be incapable of defeating or surviving anything. I would definitely do a "strength wizard" focused around using actually useful/horribly thoughtless magic to make them beat stuff up though, like Tenser's and whatnot.

Really though, I only know one other character in the group, so I haven't the foggiest what type of niche might need filling. With a batch of 8 people, I can't imagine there are too many areas left uncovered.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: August 23, 2018, 09:06:04 am »

Pretty sure everyone in the group is of nordic heritage, myself included. Not entirely sure how well pushing the pop-viking aspect would go...
Make it a realistic viking, then. Or play it even further with a Swedish Chef accent.

Really though, I only know one other character in the group, so I haven't the foggiest what type of niche might need filling. With a batch of 8 people, I can't imagine there are too many areas left uncovered.
With 8 characters, there's bound to be overlap in party roles, unless you invent silly new ones or go for rarer archetypes like mounted combat. And since it's 5e, don't worry about party composition so much.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: August 23, 2018, 09:07:04 am »

Go for a Finnisher.
Love, scriver~

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: August 24, 2018, 02:15:32 pm »

If you start at least 6th level, how about a strength based blade singer;
or a strength based rogue at any level?
A rogue is actually surprisingly susceptible to being strength based. Nothing requires you to use dexterity to sneak attack.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: August 24, 2018, 02:41:00 pm »

Well, group's decided not to take on any new peeps seeing as they're already pretty big, so I'm off the hook in a sense. I know a couple other peeps who have semi-regular groups in the area, I suppose I could attempt to get out of my shell and actually ask if there are some openings.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: August 24, 2018, 02:49:21 pm »

If you start at least 6th level, how about a strength based blade singer;
or a strength based rogue at any level?
A rogue is actually surprisingly susceptible to being strength based. Nothing requires you to use dexterity to sneak attack.
Sneak attacks must use a ranged or finesse weapon, so while you can use str with a rapier, no great sword sneak attacks, alas.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: August 24, 2018, 03:24:25 pm »

But you can dual wield a lance and a whip with proper feat and a mount.
Though you don't start proficient with it as a rogue.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 03:27:10 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: August 24, 2018, 04:51:04 pm »

I'd like to suggest that you take up the mantle of GARY, MASTER OF THE MUNDANE!

I can find the exact class order if you like, but it's rogue (1), knowledge cleric (2), knowledge bard (however many are left), warlock (2). Get all the skills, be the best wisdom/charisma castery sorta whatever.  Chew the scenery with every sentence and totally overdo the entire thing. 8 people is too many for a functional party and you're probably going to get bored as hell, so make your moment in the spotlight matter.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: August 26, 2018, 05:52:53 pm »

My party came within 2hp and a mediocre roll of merking our nemesis an entire story arc early. Good, yet frustrating.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: August 28, 2018, 11:51:34 am »

I keep trying to find this thread in the "Other Games" board... Hasn't worked yet.

So, since the first group didn't work out, I'm gonna see if I can man up to ask around a bit more and see if someone else has an opening. In the meantime, I've been trying to brush up a bit on 5e knowledge, and to that end I've been browsing some kind of repository/wiki-type thing.

Anyways... I've always had kind of a fascination with warlocks, having never gotten the chance to play as one (either in PnP form or in any vidyer games that actually happen to have playable warlocks featured in them, which aren't many). Reading up on 5e warlocks, there's a mention of a "pact boon" that you can pick up at 3rd level. One of the choices for such a boon is a tome you can put three cantrips in, regardless of which spell list the cantrips officially belong to. These can then be cast "at will".

Now, presumably that means forgoing any sort of material cost or other limits to spamming the damn things... So, naturally, I immediately thought about stuffing a book full of goodness like Prestidigitation and Thaumaturgy and proceeding to just ruin everything by making rocks yell incessantly, opening and slamming doors repeatedly, or changing the flavor of someone's food right before they're about to eat it. Also the classic interpretation of Prestidigitation's "cleaning" effect to polish the fuck out of a surface and make it into either a fancy mirror or a frictionless death slab. Someone also brought up using Shape Water to form a bit of water into a small item, then freeze it into a solid so you now have a temporary whatever-it-is to do things with. Combine with Presti's flavoring and make popsicles on demand!

Seems like a big point towards being a warlock, honestly.

...again, I should never be allowed to design characters. Or play them, clearly.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: August 28, 2018, 12:06:50 pm »

I mean, if your group is okay with those kinds of munchkin shenanigans go ahead, but if they aren't then all a character like that does is wreck the game for everyone.  Not a judgment against you for wanting to play that way, just an observation of standard group dynamics.

Also, it can be amusing and educational about the system to come up with things like that.  Hell, I've experimented with some of the most asinine possible combinations of classes and races in a lot of different systems, it has allowed me as a DM to better deal with disruptive players.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 12:09:23 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 623