Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848756 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5850 on: October 11, 2018, 01:28:31 pm »

I'm a fan of a good backstory as much as the next person but I'd never allow it to just arbitrarily give you skills, knowledge, and equipment like in the Henderson story. It's at that point where the rules of the system get thrown out the window and he's not even playing the same game as the other players anymore.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: October 11, 2018, 04:12:35 pm »

I'm a fan of a good backstory as much as the next person but I'd never allow it to just arbitrarily give you skills, knowledge, and equipment like in the Henderson story. It's at that point where the rules of the system get thrown out the window and he's not even playing the same game as the other players anymore.

That's why my oldest character, Charles Babworth the 60-something, ex-army, gentleman rogue would often say "back in Kandahar..." which entertained the group and was a way of saying "my character has lived, but no it isn't useful to the story".
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: October 11, 2018, 06:12:03 pm »

My first serious DND character was an old elf - 300 years old in fact.  Yet he was level 1, despite the world having been almost covered in undead for most of that time.

The DM and I worked it out, though.  There were already isolated pockets of life in the world, holding back the undead in various ways.  The city we started it used martial force and paladin magic.  An enclave of monks hid in an antimagic field.  The elves and feyfolk, it turned out, resided on a remote volcanic island in tune with the 4 elements.  It wasn't magically hidden, just so remote that the three lichlords didn't even know.  They barely cared about any survivors actually, more interested in their bizarre personal research/goals and keeping wary eyes on each other.

But anyway, my character was a diplomat to the fey from the elves.  It basically involved playing games and being pranked for 250 years.  Sounds sorta horrific, actually, but apparently he came away with a fanatic belief in the innate goodness of all creatures.  And like, no actual worldly knowledge.  Just a Vow of Poverty and a high diplomacy skill from his painful naivety.

Getting sent to check on the paladin city and its constant war for survival was a pretty rude awakening, heh.  And we almost had a party fight when our fighter murdered some captured Asmodeus cultists.

Turned out surprisingly well, though.  Around level 12, I think, we had a climactic battle with a demon we'd unleashed.  Our CN fighter sacrificed himself to seal it in Limbo, our LE bard (I know, multiclassed) left to study the Book of Vile Darkness, and my Exalted NG druid gave up his Exalted status as naive.  But remained NG, and became governor and protector of his home (the Everfree Isles), enlisting the aid of several unsavory sorts to help protect that very naivety.

After all, it's kinda his fault that the Lichlords learned of the Isles.  But a rocky alliance with a Machiavellian vampire... well, that's a long story, which we mostly experienced third-hand as a new party.

He did have to say goodbye to Duskwing, his celestial owl companion.  But she's waiting for him in Elysium.
I *love* retiring characters.

(His son, my next PC was a Satyr and had no mother, and eventually became an alienist heehee)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: October 12, 2018, 03:08:01 am »

Last week we had my Open Legend session (even though the premise is pretty much identical to that of Scum & Villainy, which in turn is literally "Blades in the Dark in space"). Gonna have to wait for another week or two until we can play again though. ;o;
Spoiler: "A report" (click to show/hide)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: October 12, 2018, 06:54:22 pm »

What's the rule of thumb for Perception checks in tabletop games? One per player, one per situation?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: October 12, 2018, 06:55:21 pm »

What's the rule of thumb for Perception checks in tabletop games? One per player, one per situation?
Cool guys don't roll Perception for AoE blasts.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5856 on: October 12, 2018, 06:56:43 pm »

Three per area, party-wide, for my group.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: October 12, 2018, 08:23:47 pm »

I roll that each character gets an individual Perception check after selecting marching order, then I apply LOS and distance penalties to either determine the distance the encounter begins and who acts in a surprise round, or if nobody beats the DC, the positions of the party for the ambush. New encounter, new Perception checks. Typically I'll get the players to work out the details of their order and checks while I draw the map, so it doesn't take too much time out of the game.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5858 on: October 12, 2018, 09:23:07 pm »

I'm more asking about Perception checks to find traps or clues. Like, one rolls and fails to find anything. Do I allow someone else to roll Perception? Do I let the entire party have a shot?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: October 13, 2018, 05:32:43 am »

In 5e, unless they're actively searching you just compare it to their passive perception, which is handy.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5860 on: October 13, 2018, 05:36:25 am »

I am always that guy who has to investigate EVERYTHING.

"Oh, an ORDINARY DOORWAY eh?  No-- I disbelieve that it is ORDINARY until AFTER I have detect magic'd it, checked it for suspicious drafts, examined it for unusual grooves, holes, mysteriously different flooring near or inside it, etc!"

because "innocuous looking objects" are like the "Death du-jour" of dungeon of doom interior decorating.

:P

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: October 13, 2018, 05:47:36 am »

Detect magic activates contingent teleport, weird is transported to a 10'x10' room filled with completely generic items.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5862 on: October 13, 2018, 05:51:27 am »

"SHIT! NOBODY MOVE! There's some SHIT going on here! I *KNOW* it!"

LOL!!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: October 13, 2018, 06:03:02 am »

My group alternates between obsessively checking everything and carelessly waltzing right into traps, depending on mood. My paladin prefers the latter. My god will protect me! I’m not too fond of dungeon crawls with a ton of traps, anyway - just feels like a waste of time going through the ’discuss-search-disarm’ cycle constantly.

I generally let as many players do Perception checks as they want. If there’s a trap or an ambush, their caution is likely rewarded. If there’s a clue or a hint, well, they’re better off seeing it so they can actually use it. I rarely use traps anyway - I feel like their existence channels players into an overcautious and slow playstyle that I don’t care for. We have limited time and opportunities for sessions and going slow keeps us in the same adventure for real-time months.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: October 13, 2018, 09:01:18 am »

I run similar to DH. Anyone can make perception checks, any time, but I rarely use more minor traps, instead preferring bigger more obvious one, and perception checks giving hints as to the nature (so for example an isolated plinth with a reward on top, or a mangled corpse in a hallway, perception check might reveal the slight depression of a pressure plate). Essentially I'll drop something in that might prompt a perception check. Though mangled corpses may equally be from monsters, and a perception check might reveal bite marks instead, so they never know quite what to expect.

Passive perception is a thing in some systems, though it always feels a bit odd to me using it in home game content as I already know who can and can't detect each trap.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 623