Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845444 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5925 on: October 24, 2018, 03:14:29 pm »

vampires are almost always smarter than humans but are, crucially, weighed down by their hubris as a whole (long lived, apex predator, nigh unkillable) and oft underestimate

granted, the masquerade exists for a good reason: they are all aware that if they went public humanity COULD eradicate them like they almost did in the middle ages, so a good portion of vampire society is dedicated to making sure no one breaks the masquerade and if it is broken, killing witnesses and perpetrators.

otherwise the relationship is effectively sheparding cattle with some of the not-awful vampires wanting more to protect humanity than rule it, etc.

anyway nwod sucks because it throws out the metaplot of 90% of wod and replaces the themes of Oh God The World Might End, Soon with... ehh??? the god-machine is a dumb concept and it replacing the actually pretty good writing of demon the fallen sucks ass
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: October 24, 2018, 03:16:30 pm »

vampires are almost always smarter than humans but are, crucially, weighed down by their hubris as a whole
SSSHHHHH! Don't let them know that we know!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: October 24, 2018, 04:19:16 pm »

There's actually a book for Slashers.  If they die but you take your eye off the body, they can come back :-X
It's basically "Humans can't generally reach 0 morality.  what if they could though"

It's sorta like a vampire reaching 0 humanity and surrendering to the beast, except there is no beast, it's just a human so evil they gain traditional horror movie powers.
No, Slashers are Hunters who have gone bad, and they can even have a positive Integrity if there are lines even they won't cross. Regular mortals can hit 0 Integrity, but they'll just be irredeemably evil and deranged, no stronger than usual.

I wouldn't make him a vampire. I'd make him some sort of body-snatching spirit that possesses someone else in the state whenever he dies. The protagonists can temporarily inconvenience him, but cannot easily defeat him completely: as long as there is a Florida, there is a Florida Man.
Run it. I'd play.
Yiss
I could retry running a game if there was enough interest and the times matched, but that's a difficult goal to reach.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: October 24, 2018, 04:31:17 pm »

No, there was definitely an entire sourcebook on Slashers as horror movie villain humans, people who went so bad the WoD seeped into them and gave them powers. The term was just also used for hunters who went off the deep end.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: October 24, 2018, 04:33:25 pm »

I wouldn't make him a vampire. I'd make him some sort of body-snatching spirit that possesses someone else in the state whenever he dies. The protagonists can temporarily inconvenience him, but cannot easily defeat him completely: as long as there is a Florida, there is a Florida Man.
Run it. I'd play.
Yiss
I could retry running a game if there was enough interest and the times matched, but that's a difficult goal to reach.

I'm always interested, and iirc if you're Finnish and I'm Swedish so there's a good chance of compatible timezones.
Love, scriver~

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5930 on: October 24, 2018, 04:38:50 pm »

No, there was definitely an entire sourcebook on Slashers as horror movie villain humans, people who went so bad the WoD seeped into them and gave them powers. The term was just also used for hunters who went off the deep end.
That sourcebook is named World of Darkness: Slasher, but it is in fact a supplement for Hunter: the Vigil and explicitly names the movie villain -type slashers as Hunters who've lost it worse than usual. Though I suppose the same event that drives a mortal into taking up the Vigil could also be the event that drives them to take up an Undertaking.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: October 24, 2018, 04:57:43 pm »

Now I'm imagining all hunters as pro wrestlers. Great.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: October 24, 2018, 05:11:23 pm »

I don't suppose anyone has a handy list of WoD material, do they? I have a...source...of RPG rulebooks but the WoD section is absolutely massive and I have no idea which are game books, or if there's a basic core book that all the different games run off of, or what.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: October 24, 2018, 05:26:44 pm »

I might have to ask you for that source.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: October 24, 2018, 05:38:15 pm »

Hey now, I asked first.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: October 24, 2018, 05:56:49 pm »

If you're seeking ill-gotten booty obtained on the high seas, keep it to PMs please. No links in the thread.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5936 on: October 24, 2018, 06:14:03 pm »

I don't suppose anyone has a handy list of WoD material, do they? I have a...source...of RPG rulebooks but the WoD section is absolutely massive and I have no idea which are game books, or if there's a basic core book that all the different games run off of, or what.

I've played WoD literally once (Genius the Transgression no less).  For what was new world of darkness (still is?), I have a 2004 book just titled "The World of Darkness".  Blue black and white cover of a impressionist-style guy on a rainy street or something.  Its a core book that just details the basics of making mere mortal characters.  As I understand it, making other various "X the Y-ing" characters involved making half a mortal character and partway through adding the relevant template to them.  So Vampire the Requiem gives you a vampire template that gives your character so-and-so traits and replaces such and such attributes (like morality), and then get some cool vampire powers or whatever.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: October 24, 2018, 06:18:52 pm »

If you're seeking ill-gotten booty obtained on the high seas, keep it to PMs please. No links in the thread.
Don't worry, I wasn't intending to throw up links to anything like that in public.

I just don't know where to begin. My source has clanbooks and core books and sourcebooks and I-don't-even-know books a-plenty, and it's overwhelming for someone who's only experience with the World of Darkness is a playthrough of Bloodlines.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5938 on: October 24, 2018, 06:19:37 pm »

here's the bamboozle

there's two lines, owod and nwod, and each is splintered into a handful of gamelines themselves that cover splats for each individual game. in owod there's
hunter: the reckoning
vampire: the masquerade
werewolf: the apocalypse
mage: the ascension
demon: the fallen
changeling: the dreaming
mummy: the bad game
opheus
and wraith: the oblivion. this is just owod and there are extra books for each! i'd recommend looking up whatever one catches your eye the most.

also theres kindred of the east but frankly i have no fucking idea what that one is even about

if you're looking to play vampire, grab masquerade, read through, and once you've decided on a clan that interests you grab their splat
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5939 on: October 24, 2018, 06:25:47 pm »

4chan saves the day.

Also you can tool around on RPG Geek. Ignore Mind's Eye. Once you pick a family (oWoD/nWoD) and then a related RPG (Dark Ages, frex), you can tell it to only show core books for that line.

Vampire 5th seems to be a new thing outside of the o/nWoD split.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:33:15 pm by Mephisto »
Pages: 1 ... 394 395 [396] 397 398 ... 623