Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845599 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7455 on: November 03, 2019, 08:03:44 pm »

Grovel Cower and Beg is one of my favorite racial abilities. Its super useful to a cohesive party, and its a testament to the Kobold's ability to use their size as an advantage. Kobold has some of the best racial abilities in 5e but also some of the worst, and every time I've seen someone play one its been an absolute blast to play with.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: November 03, 2019, 08:13:42 pm »

I just realized Kobolds are the Waluigi of DnD and now I love them even more. (My reasoning is that the general community loves them, wants them to be better/more included, but the company involved really seems to dislike them and refuses to listen to what the community wants for them (kobolds: better, Waluigi: Included in Smash/Getting his own game))

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: November 03, 2019, 08:23:01 pm »

I don't think WotC dislikes kobolds so much as they understand the actual appeal of them and that no one would be properly served by a kobold player race that was just straight-up good, versus one that could be good if deployed with the right tactics. Kobolds are kind of like Magicarp, but at less extremes on the higher and lower end.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: November 03, 2019, 08:24:41 pm »

Kobold talk - it really showed what WotC thought of the race. In a world where every single race gets a total of +3 to various attributes and some neat abilities, kobolds get +0 and they can cower real good. Oh, and sunlight sensitivity, a thing that pretty much only drow had til that point.

oh luxury

Back in the day, kobolds only got half a hit die.  1-4 hp.

I just realized Kobolds are the Waluigi of DnD and now I love them even more. (My reasoning is that the general community loves them, wants them to be better/more included, but the company involved really seems to dislike them and refuses to listen to what the community wants for them (kobolds: better, Waluigi: Included in Smash/Getting his own game))

Actually kobolds got a ton of stuff in 3.5 (because, you know, everything did).  They were one of the major races detailed in Races of the Dragon.  Which also intro'd dragonborn who were a lot different back then.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: November 03, 2019, 10:04:22 pm »

I do think its kinda sad that once the new Eberron book comes out, Kobolds will be the only 5e race with negative racial stats.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: November 04, 2019, 03:56:34 am »

Mammalian kobolds > Reptilian kobolds

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: November 04, 2019, 04:07:58 am »

They should be weirdo proto-mammals.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: November 04, 2019, 05:54:13 am »

They should be mine goblins running around poisoning iron. Occasionally go on the seas as the "house elf" of a ship. And speak in highly broken German.

If you use kobolds outside of these circumstances you are impure
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: November 04, 2019, 09:13:10 am »

Amusing as the imagine of sneak attacking using a maul would be.

I'm remembering when sneak attack was a multiplier on the weapon instead of +d6. You could really rack up the damage that way, especially considering enemies had ~half the hitpoints.

And kobolds are great, because you're too busy with their traps to do anything about them plinking away for a few damage with bows or shivs and then running away. They're great guerrilla fighters, not good at standing fights.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: November 04, 2019, 09:36:42 am »

And kobolds are great, because you're too busy with their traps

I'd have liked an ability related to that but the latest and greatest in 5e kobold PCs aren't particularly good at traps. That's relegated to monster kobolds.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: November 04, 2019, 09:54:35 am »

We just did a homebrew kobold thats basically a halfling, since the 5e stats are so lame.   I kind of hate kobolds, they have a very certain, uh, appeal, and going by the fluff descriptions wizards is aware and catering to it. 

Which is whatever, do your thing you know, its just weird to be reading the book and it offhandedly mentions they don't have a gag reflex.   I'd like to see kobolds as just little dog people.   Like corgis, shetland sheep dogs, pugs, little anthropomorphic dog people.  They dont talk, they just scurry around digging holes, not for any particular purpose.  Some wizard's experiment gone awry
Shoes...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: November 04, 2019, 12:04:33 pm »

We just did a homebrew kobold thats basically a halfling, since the 5e stats are so lame.   I kind of hate kobolds, they have a very certain, uh, appeal, and going by the fluff descriptions wizards is aware and catering to it. 

Which is whatever, do your thing you know, its just weird to be reading the book and it offhandedly mentions they don't have a gag reflex.   I'd like to see kobolds as just little dog people.   Like corgis, shetland sheep dogs, pugs, little anthropomorphic dog people.  They dont talk, they just scurry around digging holes, not for any particular purpose.  Some wizard's experiment gone awry
what exactly are you implying here...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: November 04, 2019, 12:50:23 pm »

KOBOLDS DON'T HAVE GAG REFLEXES
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: November 04, 2019, 01:15:50 pm »

The only bad racial ability kobolds have is sunlight sensitivity, and while that is a stickler, it at least can be solved with at least one magic item.

That said sunglasses have existed since at least 12th century china, and snow goggles to reduce the light entering the eye have existed since prehistory... so I don't think it's an unassailable obstacle.

I do think its kinda sad that once the new Eberron book comes out, Kobolds will be the only 5e race with negative racial stats.
Not true: orcs are also crap with -2int, though they still have a net increase of +1 to their stats overall.
They're still worse than half-orcs though.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: November 04, 2019, 01:46:37 pm »

I know about orcs, but that doesn't mean my statement is false. The 5e Eberron book coming out in 2 weeks will have a new version of orcs without the -2 Int penalty.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 623