Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845504 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #7740 on: January 29, 2020, 05:59:43 am »

I figured the trinkets table would be the easiest/best solution, just need to find a use for the trinkets in question... Although GM design is of course perfectly acceptable and welcome. While infuriatingly enigmatic, I like to imagine that the entity is in fact honest (inasmuch as it considers honesty as a concept), and that the items sold do in fact have an important usage.

And while a bag does lend itself to portability, I personally feel that it lacks a bit of the mystique of conferring with a door in the back of the carriage that doesn't reasonably lead anywhere, and getting something back from it.

But if we're meeting the fellow in a dungeon, might as well just have the door down there too.

Maybe some sort of compromise? Mirrors are always fun, or perhaps an ornate box or model house or something? Bring your own door or carpet to cover a wall and form the gateway?

EDIT: Also, in the last panel, the customer's normal hat has changed to a brighter color and now has a puff on the end. So either he traded in his old one for a party hat, or his old hat was directly partied up by the close interaction with The Manager.

EDIT2: Actually you can see the yellow party hat on a shelf in the background of panel 3. Presumably he just traded his old one in to help cover the expenses.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7741 on: January 29, 2020, 06:08:22 am »

I can only see two party hats in that last panel. *shudder*

Thankfully he is wearing two and the melon one.

...Or possibly the melon is wearing three and there is five party hats. AAAIGH! NO! NON-EUCLIDEAN HATOMETRICS! My mind... it can't take it!
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: February 07, 2020, 03:10:54 pm »

I have a weird, probably stupid, idea for a Shadowrun campaign. Well, several, but one that's on my mind.

In Shadowrun, you are cybered- or magiced-up mercenaries try to use your above-average skills to solve problems and get through missions to make money, but you never really do enough exploring of the world or the themes (probably true with most systems). I'd like a campaign where you make one or two skill rolls to see if you succeed at the mission, or how well you succeed/fail. Then you actually play the downtime between missions. Mostly stupid mundane BS that you'd deal with living in a huge city as a (legally) non-person in a terrible apartment (because you can't rent a nice place if you don't have ID or credit), but maybe getting up to stuff as wild as getting the rigger's van back after it gets towed. I'm not sure what the plotline would be (even for the background plot between the missions your character is running off-screen), but it feels like an interesting idea.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: February 07, 2020, 03:17:18 pm »

I have a weird, probably stupid, idea for a Shadowrun campaign. Well, several, but one that's on my mind.

In Shadowrun, you are cybered- or magiced-up mercenaries try to use your above-average skills to solve problems and get through missions to make money, but you never really do enough exploring of the world or the themes (probably true with most systems). I'd like a campaign where you make one or two skill rolls to see if you succeed at the mission, or how well you succeed/fail. Then you actually play the downtime between missions. Mostly stupid mundane BS that you'd deal with living in a huge city as a (legally) non-person in a terrible apartment (because you can't rent a nice place if you don't have ID or credit), but maybe getting up to stuff as wild as getting the rigger's van back after it gets towed. I'm not sure what the plotline would be (even for the background plot between the missions your character is running off-screen), but it feels like an interesting idea.
I would think that you wouldn't have plotline, you'd just have a list of random events.
You roll, see which event happened in your mundane life, deal with it with roleplay, maybe do a few mission rolls to get more money, maybe do a bit more roleplay, repeat.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7744 on: February 07, 2020, 03:33:50 pm »

Just make sure your players are well-acquainted with the idea first, if everyone wants to do that then it's good, but I wouldn't.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: February 07, 2020, 03:39:25 pm »

BBE: The landlord. *Shudder*

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: February 07, 2020, 04:06:35 pm »

Just make sure your players are well-acquainted with the idea first, if everyone wants to do that then it's good, but I wouldn't.

Absolutely. Slice-of-life dramedy starring people who are almost supers is not for everyone. I think having a source of income to keep upgrades coming would free the game up for more of a Cowboy Bebop "having adventures without caring how the story ends, as long as the characters don't die before the end" feeling to it.

I would think that you wouldn't have plotline, you'd just have a list of random events.
You roll, see which event happened in your mundane life, deal with it with roleplay, maybe do a few mission rolls to get more money, maybe do a bit more roleplay, repeat.

I'd probably have half of the "random" events actually leading to some kind of story. Someone trying to clean up the image of a neighborhood and get rid of the current residents to put up expensive condos or something.

BBE: The landlord. *Shudder*

Look, why do you think we call the evil guy you have to get stop "the boss"?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: February 07, 2020, 05:13:34 pm »

My first reaction is to wonder if a Blades in the Dark hack of some kind might work well for this. I guess maybe you'd need to expand downtime with more rules and randomness and give it rewards.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: February 08, 2020, 10:00:15 pm »

Well, as I write this we're getting absolutely bodied in my third-ever Pathfinder game. Three of us are unconscious, the rest are surrounded by 10+ goblin commandos.

I ain't even mad, because I've been imagining the mounted goblin warchief as looking and sounding like Macho Man Randy Savage. Things might have gone a bit better if our halfling ninja hadn't received "super tetanus" from repeatedly triggering a chest trap shortly before.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7749 on: February 09, 2020, 09:07:34 pm »

I don't know how viable it is, but I just noticed the Rot Warden druid archetype and really want to play that someday. The idea of playing a druid who focuses on protecting bugs sounds fun, and it can throw swarms of flesh eating cockroaches at people from level 3.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: February 10, 2020, 01:02:46 am »

Imhotep approves.
Love, scriver~

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: February 10, 2020, 04:22:44 am »

Also, vermin are valid choices for animal companions, meaning you could have a druid that turns into a spider, summons spiders, and travels with a giant spider pet.

Now if only you could come up with a short, catchy name for such a character...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7752 on: February 10, 2020, 05:53:57 am »

Sure you don't wanna pull out the 5e UA Ranger archetype, where you can shoot badgers at people and fly on a buzzing cloud of crabs?

Also, re: Shadowrun "Behind the scenes edition", I just re-found one of the things that concept reminded me of.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: February 11, 2020, 09:25:37 am »

My first reaction is to wonder if a Blades in the Dark hack of some kind might work well for this. I guess maybe you'd need to expand downtime with more rules and randomness and give it rewards.

The major issue with using Blades in the Dark is the core resolution mechanic. It's good at telling the story of how the players lose, but not about them succeeding. 50% chance of success on each die roll is bad if you're rolling dice for anything important. Especially if you take into account iterative probability: succeeding half of the time means you succeed 1/4 of the time if you roll twice, 1/8 if you roll 3 times... It's got some good ideas, and ideally you'd want a simpler and better balanced Shadowrun-like game, but you also want a way for the PCs to be better than the opposition so they don't lose to probability.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: February 12, 2020, 10:27:05 am »

You know, if you count alcohol as poison, paladins are so good at drinking contests, if they cheat.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 10:31:11 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 623