Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 298796 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #735 on: April 17, 2020, 03:52:24 am »

Doesn't the pixels hurt your eyeminds?
They give us square thoughts, like the elders intended.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #736 on: April 17, 2020, 06:55:10 am »

Doesn't the pixels hurt your eyeminds?
They give us square thoughts, like the elders intended.
This is hilarious.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 24, 2020, 02:18:30 pm »

Just why the hell Sims 3 modding, or rather, bigger and more "open" sites (but not uniquely), is so garbage? Those strictly adhere to "one thing = one file (okay) = one mod (WTF?) = one page" rule. Want to download a mod for outfit of four parts? Download it in those four separate parts from four separate pages. There is also 12 more pages for color variants (i also don't understand why anyone (and game itself) would do literal palette swaps for things in separate files, since you can swap all palette you want in game). Because because. Packaging? Me knows nothing about ain't no packaging, download all things separately. It's not like it's impossible to make one mod to contain many "things", it totally is not. But they still do this. Why?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 24, 2020, 03:33:23 pm »

Just why the hell Sims 3 modding, or rather, bigger and more "open" sites (but not uniquely), is so garbage? Those strictly adhere to "one thing = one file (okay) = one mod (WTF?) = one page" rule. Want to download a mod for outfit of four parts? Download it in those four separate parts from four separate pages. There is also 12 more pages for color variants (i also don't understand why anyone (and game itself) would do literal palette swaps for things in separate files, since you can swap all palette you want in game). Because because. Packaging? Me knows nothing about ain't no packaging, download all things separately. It's not like it's impossible to make one mod to contain many "things", it totally is not. But they still do this. Why?

Are you referring to simshare or whatever it's called?
I know Modthesims lets you have as many downloads on a single mod page as you want. Haven't used sims 3 though, sims 2 and 4 exclusively. Can't comment on if there's a ton of palette swaps.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 24, 2020, 06:27:41 pm »

Are you referring to simshare or whatever it's called?
I know Modthesims lets you have as many downloads on a single mod page as you want. Haven't used sims 3 though, sims 2 and 4 exclusively. Can't comment on if there's a ton of palette swaps.

Ranting and exceggerating without checking things first, of course.  :P Site that infuriated me last time i installed mods appears to be thesimsresource. No separate palette swaps, some packages even, probably no separate pieces, and the stuff is actually split in categories, didn't noticed it back then. Okay. What got me this time was someone on loverslab getting in a kind of a bad habit. It was not a palette swaps, nor even color schemes swaps, legit diffirent things. But, i kid you not, the man created no less than 15 threads for nothing but variants of shoes on really high heels. Same thing with other sets\non-set pieces of clothing, each haves a separate thread, regardless of author. Big clutter. Need for making a separate thread for every set of clothing is merely questionable, but for the love of god, get your shoes together! Mods proper, on the other hand, are seemingly as neatly packaged as mods outside of modpacks can get.  ::)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 25, 2020, 09:11:10 am »

Continued from How'd you last die, where we were talking about the old game Endgame:Singularity

I'm back to playing Endgame:Singularity, in which you are an AI trying to research how to better yourself, while also making enough money to afford server fees so you can continue to exist. If you do too much stuff, people start noticing, and you lose when people are too suspicious (or detect your last server).

Each time I play, I'm losing sooner and sooner. I'm mainlining stealth first, but I'm wondering if other techs that I'm not getting soon enough open up the tech tree more.

I just beat it twice in a row on Normal and whatever Normal+1 is with the same strategy-

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Late game." (click to show/hide)

The one thing stock manipulation is good for is powering everything down temporarily to avoid detection rates from getting too high. You'll still earn interest on the money you already have, which can keep you from going broke while wait until the heat dies down.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 25, 2020, 11:41:08 am »

Songs of Syx got crowdfunded up to its kickstarter goal today with 9 days left.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/songsofsyx/songs-of-syx/posts/2819199

That game should enter on steam early access around september (from what i read on his kickstarter it should stay in early access for a long time), i just hope he'll consider gog too as i don't use steam.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 25, 2020, 07:05:01 pm »

Continued from How'd you last die, where we were talking about the old game Endgame:Singularity

I'm back to playing Endgame:Singularity, in which you are an AI trying to research how to better yourself, while also making enough money to afford server fees so you can continue to exist. If you do too much stuff, people start noticing, and you lose when people are too suspicious (or detect your last server).

Each time I play, I'm losing sooner and sooner. I'm mainlining stealth first, but I'm wondering if other techs that I'm not getting soon enough open up the tech tree more.

I just beat it twice in a row on Normal and whatever Normal+1 is with the same strategy-

The one thing stock manipulation is good for is powering everything down temporarily to avoid detection rates from getting too high. You'll still earn interest on the money you already have, which can keep you from going broke while wait until the heat dies down.

The problem is that the techs that generates interest is that the return is ridiculously low unless you get them when they cost a negligible amount. The first tier costs 200CPU and nets you .1% interest. With a menial jobs, that 200CPU is worth 1000$... and with the trivial-to-get basic jobs, that becomes 4000$. Admittedly, it's more valuable at higher difficulties when you're going to have more downtime, but even up to Very Hard, I didn't find it worthwhile getting them at any point beyond when it would've taken me more than a few days of time.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 26, 2020, 08:52:34 am »

Help Will Come Tomorrow... Did you enjoy Dead in Bermuda/Vinland and want some more, except this time in Russia with a slightly more annoying interface? Here you go!

For those unfamiliar with DiB/V, it's basically a spreadsheet simulator in the trappings of a survival game. You have four characters with semi-randomized traits and personalities, and you're trying to survive until you can do whatever the endgame objective is that I haven't quite managed yet.

The game itself is day-based with limited actions per person... spend action points, see them get exhausted, next person, etc. Every day, you need to manage their needs ranging from something as mundane as thirst (melt some snow) to an infected gut wound (should've listened when it said to bandage it...), except there's never enough resources to do everything you want to, between gathering resources, expanding the camp, and making sure your four new best friends from diverse backgrounds aren't about to kill each other. Each night you have dialogue options that flesh out the characters, reveal traits, and give them reasons to incite rebellion.

DiB's difficulty came mostly in the form of a forced constant resource shortage-- there was literally no way to have a sustainable camp without constantly exploring for one-time resources/events. (I believe DiV is the same, unless you're playing in the endless mode which sidesteps it by respawning the map.) HWCT is kind of more realistic about that in this regard-- the resources you can gather have varying probabilities, and the most valuable ones tend to be further way and have a higher risk of negative events when scavenging.

Oh, and there are people trying to kill you.

Yeah, if it wasn't for that, it'd probably be easier to survive. No, I'm not at all annoyed that my camp was finally turning out to be nice, then I get four lousy rolls in a row and all of a sudden two people wounded and a tree fell on my medical station.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 26, 2020, 03:58:27 pm »

The problem is that the techs that generates interest is that the return is ridiculously low unless you get them when they cost a negligible amount. The first tier costs 200CPU and nets you .1% interest. With a menial jobs, that 200CPU is worth 1000$... and with the trivial-to-get basic jobs, that becomes 4000$. Admittedly, it's more valuable at higher difficulties when you're going to have more downtime, but even up to Very Hard, I didn't find it worthwhile getting them at any point beyond when it would've taken me more than a few days of time.

To earn $4,000 from the 0.1%, you would need to earn it over a combination of days and value of 4 million. Considering at some point, you'll be wanting to build $800k small warehouses, you know for sure that you'll earn the money back (it takes 5 days of having 800k, or 10 days of working to earn that amount if you've got linear earnings, for the interest to pay off. Having the interest earlier is just a bit of free money sooner). Unless you're short on money, the interest shortens the game by allowing you to spend less time working, and more time researching. If you are short on money, the cash from working is better, because you can afford a better computer with more CPU, which gains you more research and money. It's actually a pretty-well balanced tradeoff between the short-term and long-term.

I am doing better when I take the intrusion -> personal identification (better jobs) -> stealth route, instead of stealth first. It can get me into a bad place when I've been caught more often early, but if I get lucky, I'm better off financially, and can get into datacenters pretty early.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 29, 2020, 10:53:08 pm »

The whole general aesthetic of Gears of War doesn't seem like this board's cuppa tea, so I'll put this here.

It's pretty good.  If you were put off by the new XCOM, this might be a better fit.  That's not to say it's XCOM 3 either.  It makes some changes to the formula as well, but the basic combat gameplay cleaves very close to NuCOM.  You get three action points per turn and you can use all three on shooting if you want, or mix shooting and movement in any way you want, as well as switching characters without ending a character's turn.  Overwatch gives you a shot for each action point you have left, but only works in a cone whose size depends on the gun.  Overwatch might see even heavier use than XCOM.  Enemies can overwatch and do it pretty much whenever they don't like their shooting odds, a lot of firefights boil down to a sort of puzzle game scenario where you have to crack the overwatch network with minimal damage.  You've got a mix of main characters and randomized grunts, the grunts can die but you fail the mission if the important guys die.  It uses the Gears of War system where your guys go down and can crawl around and be picked back up.  Enemies can too sometimes and using a special execution move on downed enemies gives the rest of your team a bonus action point.

No overmap missions as far as I can tell, it's just a series of story missions.  Lots of the particular Gears of War aesthetic you've come to love or hate, roided up dudes yelling inane bullshit in the ruins of baroque architecture, lots of gore and chainsaws.  If their goal was to transplant Gears into a new genre while retaining all the gameplay and story elements that characterize the series, they succeeded.  It basically feels like playing the shooter top-down and turn-based.  I'm enjoying it.
Shoes...

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 30, 2020, 01:26:38 am »

The whole general aesthetic of Gears of War doesn't seem like this board's cuppa tea, so I'll put this here.

For anybody confused, I think this is for Gears Tactics... I did not misunderstand the advertisements for Gear of War for the last fifteen years and skip a high profile turn-based tactical.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 30, 2020, 09:08:23 am »

I've been playing some Knights of the Old Republic crpg after finally getting it to work (it's from 2003).

I'm starting a playthough that I'm willing to share, if there is any interest.

Is there an appropriate place to advertise for this sort of thing?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 30, 2020, 10:21:00 am »

I've been playing some Knights of the Old Republic crpg after finally getting it to work (it's from 2003).

I'm starting a playthough that I'm willing to share, if there is any interest.

Is there an appropriate place to advertise for this sort of thing?

Play With Your Buddies is where people post their Let's Plays.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 168