Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 782

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 863872 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4290 on: August 26, 2018, 12:07:31 am »

Oh my god, please don't tell me you saw the horrifically bad movie...
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: August 26, 2018, 12:19:38 am »

I came across it, poked it with a stick then steered clear. Looked bad. And this goes both for the Get Smart remake and the Pink Panther remake. Or the Inspector Gadget remake - also note that Don Adams of Get Smart was the original voice of Inspector Gadget. I'm not touching any of those remakes because they're always really bad, a waste of time and just tarnish any memories you already have. Don't fuck with perfect.

Remaking classic comedy just doesn't work, it's the personalities that make it work in the first place, and trying to have someone else do it always comes across as doing a bad impression.

If you want to do it right, you take the original concept, make entirely new characters and let it go. Let the modern actors be themselves but in that same situation. For example, you could remake Peter Seller's "The Party" except you change the party, and change the characters too, if you want it to work, you don't have someone coming along doing a Peter Sellers impression and expect that to work.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:31:13 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: August 26, 2018, 04:10:21 am »

Oh my god, please don't tell me you saw the horrifically bad movie...
Ayup... It tried very hard to reference the original, but... No. As mentioned, it should have just tried to be its own thing rather than be a reboot of a classic.

I saw the rebooted Pink Panther as well. The first one at least, I think they made multiple... It's really just not that good. Like, I normally quite like Steve Martin, the guy's done some great work... But he's just not Clouseau. It's really quite jarring, actually.

I can't even remember if they bothered to have a Cato analog, that's how great of an impression it left.

Fun fact, there's another movie called "The Party", but it's a completely different beast from the Sellers comedy. Danish film, one of the bigger Dogme 95 titles, if you're into unorthodox movies and filming techniques. English version ended up getting renamed to "The Celebration" to avoid confusion.

I'd quite like for someone to take up the screwball comedy torch again, and not have the modern history of that genre just be the cesspit of "X Movie" dreck it currently is... But I suppose it's the wrong climate for such things. Meh.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: August 26, 2018, 05:31:46 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:25:23 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: August 26, 2018, 06:47:40 am »

Dogma was a mistake.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: August 26, 2018, 12:34:11 pm »

Apparently I've been lied to
I know, and it's difficult to come to terms with...  But FLEX TAPEŽ can't actually fix everything.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: August 26, 2018, 12:41:35 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:24:52 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: August 26, 2018, 01:13:22 pm »

Dogma was a mistake.

I'm still wondering if you're talking about Ben Affleck, I honestly can't tell.

Dogma is/was a cinematographic movement/school headed by His Supreme Overratedness Lars von Trier. It's dogms is basically a study in how to make a movie boring as fuck to watch and it has had severe, perhaps unrepairable impacts on Swedish cinematography and I very much dislike it for it.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: August 26, 2018, 02:14:17 pm »

It's also really interesting if you're into filmmaking, because it's basically the equivalent of switching on Hardcore Mode and then trying to reach a high score.

It's also also fabulously hipster, and not to be attempted without adult supervision.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: August 26, 2018, 02:43:08 pm »

Looking it up it seems Reelya was correct to call it Dogme 95. Here in Sweden it's almost only ever referred to as Dogma.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: August 26, 2018, 03:40:02 pm »

You must have me mixed up with someone else there, I didn't comment on Dogma.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: August 26, 2018, 04:19:28 pm »

Yes thanks! Don't humanize them, you won't get rid of them anymore and afterwards you have to sanitize the whole place! Tough he was a patriot if you consider that the hegemonial empire is in the best interest of all US citizens...

Humanizing humans, who could imagine such a thing.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: August 26, 2018, 04:26:20 pm »

Shooting must be done on location. Props and sets must not be brought in (if a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found).
The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. (Music must not be used unless it occurs where the scene is being shot.)
The camera must be hand-held. Any movement or immobility attainable in the hand is permitted.
The film must be in colour. Special lighting is not acceptable. (If there is too little light for exposure the scene must be cut or a single lamp be attached to the camera).
Optical work and filters are forbidden.
The film must not contain superficial action. (Murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)
Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden. (That is to say that the film takes place here and now.)
Genre movies are not acceptable.
The film format must be Academy 35 mm.
The director must not be credited.

Sounds terribly boring
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: August 26, 2018, 04:33:29 pm »

Oh good, I'm so glad we're not talking about the excellent movie Dogma, starring Ben Affleck aaaaaaaand.... Matt Damon, that's the one. A Masterpiece of not-so-modern cinema.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 782