Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 778

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 855421 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: THE CLAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW edition
« Reply #2610 on: February 27, 2017, 08:33:47 pm »

idk.
I went to my first party last spring at the behest of a friend. It was...

She got me really really drunk, which was not good. Especially because this was the first time I had ever drank heavily. I threw up like, 6?ish times that night.

It was a really crazy thing. Some people were dropping molly in the back yard? At this point I was too intoxicated to be making good decisions, but I think my friend kinda realized that. She kept me out of the worst situations there and away from anymore alcohol. She was pretty drunk too though, and we ended up making out? (i'm still not 100% on the chain of events that lead up to this.)

Anyways, we made it out alive somehow.

I used to be pretty good friends with her, but in the almost year now since that party we talked maybe once. I haven't been to anymore parties since, because fuck that shit.

I mean, it was an experience. I don't want to do it again, but I don't necessarily regret going. I do regret that I lost a friendship from that though.

All that just to say that the culture does exist. There are some people that do that kind of thing every weekend. Also, remembering this did make me mildly sad.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: THE CLAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW edition
« Reply #2611 on: February 27, 2017, 08:42:00 pm »

(Honestly I think the legal age for any drug should be 21 all 'round...You know, at roughly the point where it doesn't get to play havoc upon developing brains.)
Oh, that's a horrible idea. You know what's great about letting kids drink? Their parents are still around. So you start by sharing a beer or two that somebody smuggled away from his parents, then you start having a couple beers a night, but no liquor, since that's hard to get... Usually one of your friends has permissive parents, so you'll get the stuff before you're legally allowed to buy it yourself. But whatever you try, a responsible adult is never that far away, and you're usually in a safe environment, so nothing really bad can happen. The absolute worst would be puking your guts out, but your parents' wrath will keep a check on that, too.

And so by the time you're on your own, living in a big town, buying your own groceries, studying or whatever, alcohol is just another thing. It's not a taboo to break, and getting shitfaced is not a way to prove your independence from your parents - it's just a way to embarass yourself in front of your friends, showing them you can't handle your liquor.

TL;DR: Alcohol is a cultural thing, so people need to learn how to deal with it. Being introduced to it slowly and under a degree of supervision is preferrable to ostrich tactics and college binge drinking.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: February 27, 2017, 08:43:25 pm »

That is possibly true, but not necessarily an all-round good idea, especially with how it can do Bad Things to one's brain.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: February 27, 2017, 09:06:13 pm »

I just stay as far away from alcohol as possible. I have no idea how I'll teach my children, because my upbringing gave me (and my sister, incidentally) a quite unintentional but visceral hatred of alcohol, drugs, and anything which might impinge upon my sobriety.

Seriously, I have no idea why I hate it so much, nor how I might hope to induce reasonableness in the next generation. I have absolutely no intuition of the subject whatsoever, and I feel like all discussion of alcohol ends up tracing back to how the participants in the discussion were raised and how they felt about it; essentially, entirely based on intuition rather than numbers or statistics about what's best for kids and teens.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: February 27, 2017, 09:13:31 pm »

It's easy to push that vision of 14-year olds nervously trying a few beers with parental supervision, but that's only a short stop away from shithead teenagers getting overdone on liquor given by someone's shithead parents and doing something bad in the way that shithead teenagers often do. And to be honest, as much as I hear about America having alcohol problems related to the 21 limit, I've also heard plenty about severe alcoholism being thought of as normal and expected in Europe. Let alone the parts of the world where there's basically no law enforcement on this sort of thing.

Most adults can't be responsible with alcohol, let alone most teenagers. There may not be a legal solution to this problem, but it's a problem all the same.

And yeah, you can put me down in the "visceral hatred for intoxicated people" column too. But I know exactly why I feel that way: It's because obnoxious bastards who think they've got the biggest dick in the world because they drank half a bottle of vodka in an hour are the worst kind of people and some of the most dangerous.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 09:16:48 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: February 28, 2017, 12:14:20 am »

to clarify the drinking and the sex are two different things, but i'll probably drink with my friend, because we like to drink and watch anime, and there's a, uh, let's call it 60% chance that i'll sleep with them

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: February 28, 2017, 04:13:11 am »

Wait, friends with benefits are also a thing?

This alternate life style, it is not for me. Certainly intriguing, though :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2617 on: February 28, 2017, 07:11:11 am »

One of my wisdom extraction wounds has swollen horribly overnight. The symmetrical one has a sharp edge of bone pressing against the gum. The weather is too damn hot, and I feel art blocked, except for everything, not just art. Ugh. I'd better not be sinking into depression again.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: February 28, 2017, 07:34:25 am »

Seriously, I have no idea why I hate it so much, nor how I might hope to induce reasonableness in the next generation. I have absolutely no intuition of the subject whatsoever, and I feel like all discussion of alcohol ends up tracing back to how the participants in the discussion were raised and how they felt about it; essentially, entirely based on intuition rather than numbers or statistics about what's best for kids and teens.
Ah, be careful. My mum's like that, and her very stringent anti-alcohol stance made my relationship with the stuff a bit... complicated. Less would have been more in this case.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: February 28, 2017, 07:53:18 am »

I don't mind drugs in general, but the double standards behind alcohol are completely insane. Batshit insane.

(Honestly I think the legal age for any drug should be 21 all 'round...You know, at roughly the point where it doesn't get to play havoc upon developing brains.)
Oh, that's a horrible idea. You know what's great about letting kids take LSD? Their parents are still around. So you start by sharing a tab or two that somebody smuggled away from his parents, then you start having a couple dozen micrograms a night, but nothing too intense, since that's hard to get... Usually one of your friends has permissive parents, so you'll get the stuff before you're legally allowed to buy it yourself. But whatever you try, a responsible adult is never that far away, and you're usually in a safe environment, so nothing really bad can happen. The absolute worst would be a bad trip, but your parents' wrath will keep a check on that, too.

And so by the time you're on your own, living in a big town, buying your own groceries, studying or whatever, LSD is just another thing. It's not a taboo to break, and having a bad trip is not a way to prove your independence from your parents - it's just a way to embarass yourself in front of your friends, showing them you can't handle your LSD.

TL;DR: LSD is a cultural thing, so people need to learn how to deal with it. Being introduced to it slowly and under a degree of supervision is preferrable to ostrich tactics.

This is what most alcohol discussion reads like to me, except I know that alcohol is worse for you than LSD, because all actual evidence points to that.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: February 28, 2017, 08:24:09 am »

Tried to find someone to learn playing harmonica from, did not manage to.  :(

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: February 28, 2017, 09:07:59 am »

Tried to find someone to learn playing harmonica from, did not manage to.  :(

Diatonic? You can learn the basicss by yourself. Look up an online tutorial.
I learned the basics over Easter in 2004 (my second trip to London)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: February 28, 2017, 09:38:49 am »

Yup, big ol blister right below my toe joints and partially in between my big toe and the next one over. It seems to be deep under the skin and there's a lot of pressure. It's as if a pocket under my skin filled up with fluid. What a crazy thing. :'(
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: February 28, 2017, 09:39:41 am »

That's not good.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: February 28, 2017, 01:23:19 pm »

Oh, that's a horrible idea. You know what's great about letting kids take LSD? Their parents are still around. So you start by sharing a tab or two that somebody smuggled away from his parents, then you start having a couple dozen micrograms a night, but nothing too intense, since that's hard to get... Usually one of your friends has permissive parents, so you'll get the stuff before you're legally allowed to buy it yourself. But whatever you try, a responsible adult is never that far away, and you're usually in a safe environment, so nothing really bad can happen. The absolute worst would be a bad trip, but your parents' wrath will keep a check on that, too.

And so by the time you're on your own, living in a big town, buying your own groceries, studying or whatever, LSD is just another thing. It's not a taboo to break, and having a bad trip is not a way to prove your independence from your parents - it's just a way to embarass yourself in front of your friends, showing them you can't handle your LSD.

TL;DR: LSD is a cultural thing, so people need to learn how to deal with it. Being introduced to it slowly and under a degree of supervision is preferrable to ostrich tactics.

This is what most alcohol discussion reads like to me, except I know that alcohol is worse for you than LSD, because all actual evidence points to that.
If LSD use was wide-spread and an ingrained part of our culture, making eradication impossible, the above wouldn't be all that bad, no?

Example: Smoking opium in areas where that's a traditional thing is very different from smoking opium in a Western country.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 778