Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 778

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 855488 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #7170 on: March 26, 2020, 01:02:36 pm »

OH GAWD I'm technically a people in their late twenties now. It shows no signs of stopping. :'(   

Also yeah, probably. I'll wait and see how possible it is to fix this before deciding whether it's a conspiracy.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: March 26, 2020, 01:24:02 pm »

I drank some tea. I am now sweating. This is unpleasant.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: March 26, 2020, 01:38:30 pm »

You can make a much better tea replacement with nearly-boiling water, your flavorings (cloves, honey, lemon whatever you normally put in tea to make it drinkable), and whiskey (rum in a pinch). If you're running short, the water and flavorings are optional.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: March 26, 2020, 01:40:45 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:03:58 pm by dragdeler »
let

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: March 26, 2020, 03:05:59 pm »

That is what I feel too. -phobia is appropriate for the aversion towards being associated with gayness (which is in itself not a fear of homosexuality but a fear of being ostracised/losing social capital(/social standing? I'm out on thin ice with these words, ironically enough ;) )), but not the antipathy/hate that the phobia fuels.

I honestly and sincerely think is a distinction that it is important we make, because I think the phobia and the antipathy needs to be met with different condemnation, and addressed with different methods. I feel like grouping them together strengthens the hold the phobia has on culture.
I don't know what you're talking about. "irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals" is the definition of homophobia. It is not about fear of being gay only, and while I'm less sure, I believe that this has been what it has meant for a while.
In any event, what would you prefer that the hatred of homosexuals and homoromantics be called?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: March 26, 2020, 03:28:18 pm »

That is what I feel too. -phobia is appropriate for the aversion towards being associated with gayness (which is in itself not a fear of homosexuality but a fear of being ostracised/losing social capital(/social standing? I'm out on thin ice with these words, ironically enough ;) )), but not the antipathy/hate that the phobia fuels.

I honestly and sincerely think is a distinction that it is important we make, because I think the phobia and the antipathy needs to be met with different condemnation, and addressed with different methods. I feel like grouping them together strengthens the hold the phobia has on culture.
I don't know what you're talking about. "irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals" is the definition of homophobia. It is not about fear of being gay only, and while I'm less sure, I believe that this has been what it has meant for a while.
In any event, what would you prefer that the hatred of homosexuals and homoromantics be called?

From a language standpoint, it has the same problem as "workaholic" and most words starting with "cyber" ("cybernetics" being the exception.)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: March 26, 2020, 03:49:49 pm »

Well, we all have basically the same concept of what "homophobia" is, so arguing about exact etymological accuracy seems pointless.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: March 26, 2020, 05:04:22 pm »

If you have a phobia you possess an irrational fear. A homophobic person, this implicitly suggests, therefore holds an irrational fear of gay people. Or, often, hatred. Indeed, there are such people in the world. My problem with the term is that it has come to be applied to anyone who disagrees, however rationally and calmly, with the political or social goals of homosexual people.

A priest reads scripture and concludes that he can't perform a gay marriage is a homophobe.
A conservative politician votes down a bill letting lesbians adopt children, citing the importance of the traditional family model in the raising of a child. He is a homophobe.

These are hypotheticals. The views aren't necessarily something you'd personally support, but they are based on reason (or at least something unrelated to whether same-sex people gratify one another) and not irrational fear. I feel that 'homophobe' has simply come to be seen as a word which can shut up people who disagree with or refuse to implement a wide range of political, religious and social values which LGBT folks believe are central. These people don't hate gay people or try to stop them from being gay. They simply disagree with them.

To use a personal example, I'm of the strong opinion that priests/ministers/churches/whatever should be able to refuse individuals marriage if they want to, especially when their faith holds that they should. This includes gay people. Am I therefore a homophobe, frothing and dangerous? Who knows.  ;)

Something loosely similar is happening with the word 'racist'. For instance, Meghan Markle. Britain has been labeled racist for not welcoming her. The irrational fear here is against black people. Because she is black, it must be racism.
In reality I've never heard or seen anything remotely racist directed towards her, even in casual conversations, never mind the media. But she's a black woman who broke up the royal family and is currently leading the nation's darling, Prince Harry, around by the nose.

Is the nation racist, or does it simply not agree with Meghan's ambitions?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: March 26, 2020, 05:26:40 pm »

"Hatred of homosexuals" sounds good enough ;)
Love, scriver~

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: March 27, 2020, 12:44:23 pm »

Experiment time! I'm drinking another cup of tea, with more sugar, to see if the effect is increased, which would suggest that the sugar is the culprit.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: March 27, 2020, 12:48:01 pm »

How about homohatred?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: March 27, 2020, 01:31:23 pm »

*puts on sunglasses*

Stupid.

YYYEEEAAAHHH

Edit:
But she's a black woman who broke up the royal family and is currently leading the nation's darling, Prince Harry, around by the nose.

eh?

How did she break up the royal family?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 01:35:17 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: March 27, 2020, 01:45:57 pm »

How about homohatred?

That's also good!

I am also a strong fan of "homo-antipathy", or homeopathy for short
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: March 27, 2020, 02:09:47 pm »

You realize of course that if we change the word to something other than "homophobe", then I won't be able to use my stupid "I'm not actually a homophone, I just sound like one" joke anymore?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: March 27, 2020, 02:11:08 pm »

Edit:
But she's a black woman who broke up the royal family and is currently leading the nation's darling, Prince Harry, around by the nose.

eh?

How did she break up the royal family?

There was a fight between family, and she and Prince Harry left the country. The Friendly Europe jokes thread might have more information (and are more serious than the thread title implies).
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 778