Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 62

Author Topic: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord  (Read 106939 times)

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
« Reply #540 on: April 09, 2020, 08:10:57 pm »

I've never cared for extremely short weapons. Anything shorter than 50 and you have to practically clip into the other guy's model to hit. Meanwhile they're backpedaling just enough to stay out of your reach and their weapon is doing enough chip damage to wear you down. I think 75-80 is the best length for close quarters, short enough not to catch on things but still long enough to reach out and touch someone.

It seems like throwing weapons have gotten the best treatment so far, with no-shield polearms coming in at a close second. Bills and rhomphalias are devastating, but throwing weapons are much more viable than they used to be. In the past, you had maybe five chances to kill a guy with a throwing weapon, and unless you had a high proficiencies or the skills to land a headshot you would need at least two hits to do the job. I was initially decieved by how weak the practice javelins used in the arena were, but the real deal can kill a guy from range even with leg hits. Top that off with the perks that let you carry more and throwing weapons are actually useful this time around.
I personally recommend harpoons. I haven't had too much trouble getting ahold of some, and they do tremendous damage. If it's good enough to kill a whale, it's good enough to kill a human.

All of the daggers I've found so far have had a throwable secondary function. That's neat, gives them some added utility, but then you have to consider that there are dedicated throwing knives that come in bundles and get the same benefits as other throwing weapons. Why would I take one knife that cuts okay and can be thrown in a pinch over a dozen knives that don't cut as good but fly better?
I guess they could work for a civilian outfit as a backup weapon, but you could just use the perk that lets you equip throwing weapons on a civilian outfit, and they just seem completely worthless on a battlefield. The only reason I'd consider taking one in that case is if it didn't take up an equipment slot, but even then that's encumbrance I could do without. I just don't see the point.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 09, 2020, 08:41:17 pm »

Yeah, never spoils. I do sorta feel like food stops becoming a real issue in the mid game....but I haven't tried supporting an army of 200 or something. Grain alone can sustain an army but if you want the morale bonus for food variety, there's limited stocks of stuff beyond grain and it can get quite pricey per unit.

Restarted my game and looked at the NPC Companion list in the Encyclopedia....NOW I'm seeing guys with Trade, Smithing, few of the non-combat skills starting to show up. Also brown people, which was definitely absent from all of my previous playthroughs.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 09, 2020, 08:43:21 pm »

In Warband I always favored heavy sabers. Long, but not too long, fast enough, decent hack and slash attacks, etc. I'm still looking for my new favorite weapon in Bannerlord.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 09, 2020, 08:44:34 pm »

Restarted my game and looked at the NPC Companion list in the Encyclopedia....NOW I'm seeing guys with Trade, Smithing, few of the non-combat skills starting to show up. Also brown people, which was definitely absent from all of my previous playthroughs.

Yeah apparently all of the companions were being pulled from the Sturgia pool for some reason.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 09, 2020, 09:04:14 pm »

In Warband I always favored heavy sabers. Long, but not too long, fast enough, decent hack and slash attacks, etc. I'm still looking for my new favorite weapon in Bannerlord.

My go-to weapon has been a fine steel cavalry [edit: broadsword] I took from some bandit lair boss. 117 reach for a one-hander. Humorously enough when sheathed at my character's side it's almost dragging on the ground it's so long.

On that note, I've noticed that not all weapons of X type are the same - e.g. I've found "Iron Spatha" swords with different stats but the same name. So probably worth taking a closer look at higher quality weapons even if you've seen them before.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 09:12:54 pm by Dostoevsky »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 09, 2020, 09:06:36 pm »

I think that was the case in Warband as well - a couple weapons/armor with the same name but different stats. That could have been a mod issue, though - not sure.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 09, 2020, 11:55:06 pm »

Yeah, never spoils. I do sorta feel like food stops becoming a real issue in the mid game....but I haven't tried supporting an army of 200 or something. Grain alone can sustain an army but if you want the morale bonus for food variety, there's limited stocks of stuff beyond grain and it can get quite pricey per unit.

The food thing is a bit of an oversight, but at the same time when you ARE running large parties (or gathering armies 400-1000+), food burns real quick anyways. In fact, I almost always gain tons of influence just by being the only lord in an army with enough food to feed the damn thing (and starvation destroys army numbers FAST).
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 10, 2020, 12:17:36 am »

Nothing like seeing a siege, heading over to it, see it's a sure thing, chasing some bandits instead of waiting, going back to the siege, joining, then almost immediately seeing your 10 days of food reserve turn into 1 day armies food.

Game needs a mission system.  You don't even get invited to armies.  Getting invites or request for food/troops would be nice.  Reward with influence and allow you to do the same thing.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 10, 2020, 01:57:53 am »

You can join a siege without joining the army sieging and giving them all your food. Just click on the city instead and you set up your own little camp (although you can't do things like build siege towers unless you're the leader of the siege, but that should go without saying)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 10, 2020, 03:29:58 am »

I never let my grain stocks fall below 100. It's dirt cheap almost everywhere, you loot it off of enemies all the time, and feeding your allies armies is free effortless influence.
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 10, 2020, 05:24:26 am »

this deserves a doublepost: I just realised you can kick/shield bash people from the battlements
Love, scriver~

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 10, 2020, 09:55:28 am »

this deserves a doublepost: I just realised you can kick/shield bash people from the battlements

yooooooo. Quick question: how do you shieldbash??? is it just kicking while blocking?

EDIT: also allegedly it takes 18 in game years for your children to come of age??? Bruh. That's ALOT of time.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:03:46 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 10, 2020, 10:40:07 am »

Yes, just hit the kick key while blocking. It also works while blocking without a shield. It's great against enemies who refuse to lower their shield, but it takes long enough to wind up that they can cancel it by hitting you if you're not careful. Best of all, you're not rooted in place like with kicking.

Sadly, both bashing and kicking have a delay now, so the multiplayer tradition of surrounding the last enemy and bullying them to death by mashing E is a thing of the past.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 10, 2020, 10:41:46 am »

Yeah, it's just kicking with a shield equipped :D

Sadly, both bashing and kicking have a delay now, so the multiplayer tradition of surrounding the last enemy and bullying them to death by mashing E is a thing of the past.

You just need to organise the bullying, time it appropriately
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 10, 2020, 11:43:46 am »

Restarted my game as I said, went for higher social type stats so I could get the first leadership Perk right out of the gate. Ended up with 25 Charm as well.

Start the tutorial, talk to the headman......

Immediately gained like 36 points of Charm upon completing the quest. :P I'm now sitting in the mid 60s having talked to literally one person.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 62