Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 73

Author Topic: Latin American Politics: Moralism  (Read 95269 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Press F to pay respects
« Reply #585 on: January 02, 2019, 10:57:03 am »

I don't get your joke kagus....

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 02, 2019, 11:09:14 am »

I'd say it is a combination of these SMBC themes.

1)
2)
and perhaps..
3)

EG, the joke is that there is a predominantly misogynist population that accedes that there is some potential for contradiction there, but it is OK, because that brand of contradiction reinforces their own biases, which they view as obvious, and thus truth-- Whereas if the candidate were female, well--- that's just straight out wrong. Obviously.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 02, 2019, 12:08:42 pm »

Meh. Sure, one party in power forever is bad, but... a fascist is not that great either.
Oh, it's actually pretty much independent from who the president is, every time a new president is elected he starts with approval around 80%.
It's tradition here in Brazil, and they always leave government risking being lynched by a mob if seen outside, with approval ratings well under 20%(Temer has the record I think? 3% at the lowest?) . The only exception so far has been Squid and Dilma's first term, but he is in jail and her name is in the gutter now.

That said, they did hold the presidency for very long, but no party has ever had a majority in Brazil's government legislative, due to they way we run our elections that force variety and proportional representation. That was supposed to hold on extremism and other undesirable policy, but ended up incentivizing inter-party vote buying via bribes and cabinet positions.

I still haven't got over how many people voted for Pocket in the first turn, there is simply no excuse for all his actions, views and statements, and everyone who voted in him is either ignorant or complicit.

But I do hope he will do a great job, after all, it's my home country, it's where I live!
We all hope. Seriously, it was fun laughing at america, but schadenfreude only works when it's the amiguinho getting boned.

EG, the joke is that there is a predominantly misogynist population that accedes that there is some potential for contradiction there, but it is OK, because that brand of contradiction reinforces their own biases, which they view as obvious, and thus truth-- Whereas if the candidate were female, well--- that's just straight out wrong. Obviously.
There are many in Brazil who think Dilma's impeachment was due to misogyny since she didn't actually committ any crime, and it probably has some to it, but I think it's more likely that she was impeached as a appeasing move to the mobs and as a way to get someone willing to dissolve operation lava-jato, since she refused to do it. Too bad, president Fear didn't do it either, so they got screwed anyway.
In a time before time, I had a name.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 02, 2019, 02:26:01 pm »

Squid

Pocket

president Fear
I just love how you put their names in English...

Meh. Sure, one party in power forever is bad, but... a fascist is not that great either.
I sure have this fear, but I have this belief, that even if he actually tries to do something like that as a law or something related, he doesn't rule alone, and there are people up there who really wan't to see the country get better, and fascism is not the option, so these people will vote against projects that may have such impact. Sure it couldd totally be me being Naive, but I like to believe it...
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 03, 2019, 08:15:48 pm »

I just love how you put their names in English...
I'm still mad at Dilma for not giving me something easy to work with. At least my state got governor Milk.

Did anyone saw the clip of the new minister of human rights in Brazil talking about "It's a new era in Brazil, boys dress blue and girls dress pink!"
It's incredible. There is even a very enthusiastic idiot waving an Israeli flag.
And this is after the stuff about Jesus climbing a guava tree.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 03, 2019, 09:36:29 pm »

boys dress blue and girls dress pink!"

Female minister says that while dressed in a blue dress
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 03, 2019, 10:34:54 pm »

I give Brazil 1 year before full dictatorship. The Amazon Rainforest was good while it lasted.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 04, 2019, 12:55:42 am »

boys dress blue and girls dress pink!"

Female minister says that while dressed in a blue dress
Oh god the irony.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 04, 2019, 03:57:42 am »

I give Brazil 1 year before full dictatorship. The Amazon Rainforest was good while it lasted.
We must save those poor savages from their own territory and culture.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 04, 2019, 04:13:33 am »

We must save those poor savages from their own territory and culture.

More, "Our terrible agricultural practices necessitate MOAR logging! The exotic hard woods of the rainforest command a high international price point, and we have to expand our economy AND feed our citizenry!  How else do you expect us to pay for all the erosion control projects we need!" (because our agricultural practices result in truly horrendous levels of topsoil erosion and outright landslides, once the biomass holding it in place is removed)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 04, 2019, 04:21:02 am »

Sure, but that doesn't sound quite as marketable as "Bringing God civilization and freedom to the heathens natives!"

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 04, 2019, 06:04:35 am »

Bolsonaro's gorvern is bringing me fear, and some of tha names along him are complete idiots (see female minister above), but on the other hand, there are a few names I'm quite optimistic about, like, the Science and Technology minister, Marcos Pontes, c'mon, he's a brazilian ASTRONAUT! He's gotta be smart...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 04, 2019, 08:05:35 am »

Bolsonaro's gorvern is bringing me fear, and some of tha names along him are complete idiots (see female minister above), but on the other hand, there are a few names I'm quite optimistic about, like, the Science and Technology minister, Marcos Pontes, c'mon, he's a brazilian ASTRONAUT! He's gotta be smart...
Being an astronaut does not mean he's a good administrator of a continent-sized country's research efforts.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Boys wear Pink, Girls wear Blue.
« Reply #598 on: January 04, 2019, 09:13:12 am »

While completely true, it is also true of every single education in the world, even including a degree in administration of a continent-sized country's research efforts.
Love, scriver~

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Boys wear Pink, Girls wear Blue.
« Reply #599 on: January 04, 2019, 09:24:04 am »

Well, a good dose of normalcy then, every government should be worthy some "cautious optimism" if it is anything near respectable.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 73