Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 73

Author Topic: Latin American Politics: Moralism  (Read 94999 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Press F to pay respects
« Reply #570 on: October 29, 2018, 04:12:34 pm »

I read it.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 29, 2018, 04:20:58 pm »

I read it too, but there is no point in discussing them, seeing as I don't think there is anyone here who agrees with them and we all know what the problem with them is.

I'm not going to continue the discussion here, it's not the place for it.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 29, 2018, 04:28:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure he was indeed mistaking you for FearfulJesuit, or rather that you were mistaking yourself for FJ.

As for something actually on-topic, really, the whole thing's just a bit too absurdist at the moment... I think people are likely still in shock at having to deal with the outcome. It'll bounce back a bit once he gets into office and starts officially fucking things up, but as for right now it's all just a little too alien to actually acknowledge that he won.

Guess we'll see how much he actually backs up his comments about imprisoning/exiling his political opponents, eh?

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 29, 2018, 04:32:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure I wasn't mistaking anyone for anyone so that's that.

What's supposed to be shocking about the outcome? This is after for the last two years the exact same scenario played out in both Europe and the US.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 29, 2018, 04:34:37 pm »

My NY times free articles ran out, so I can't read the article, but I worry what will happen regarding LGBT rights. Is Bolsonaro backed by the christian evangelical right?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 29, 2018, 04:42:30 pm »

My NY times free articles ran out, so I can't read the article, but I worry what will happen regarding LGBT rights. Is Bolsonaro backed by the christian evangelical right?
I'm pretty sure Bolsonaro is actually really for LGBT rights. I mean, he doesn't want any LGBT left, so he must want them to have rights instead.

But yeah, for a fellow making statements about how he'd rather his son die in a car crash than be gay, and how homosexual people lower property values, it's not looking too good for the GSRM.

Provided, of course, that he ever gets anything done. He apparently doesn't have much of a track record for actually doing things. Hopefully that won't change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #576 on: October 29, 2018, 04:55:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure I wasn't mistaking anyone for anyone so that's that.

What's supposed to be shocking about the outcome? This is after for the last two years the exact same scenario played out in both Europe and the US.
Pretty much. I expect Bolsonaro to get ousted after a corruption scandal in a few years, and then the cycle of liberality, corruption, authoritarianism, revolution, terror, authoritarianism, liberality, corruption and so forth will continue for generations to come. I wonder whether Bolsonaro is going to stand firm on his anti-China rhetoric though

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 29, 2018, 05:52:35 pm »

Fun fact: Bolsonaro's party only has like 10% of the seats in the Brazilian parliament. He can't deal with the left who hate him. So he will have to rely on a coalition of center right parties called the Centrão which are likely not exactly nice but aren't rabid fascists like Bolsonaro, so he will likely have to tone it down.

The really distressing bit is the amount of people willing to vote a man that voices supports for such barbarities.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 29, 2018, 06:02:50 pm »

Fun fact: Bolsonaro's party only has like 10% of the seats in the Brazilian parliament. He can't deal with the left who hate him. So he will have to rely on a coalition of center right parties called the Centrão which are likely not exactly nice but aren't rabid fascists like Bolsonaro, so he will likely have to tone it down.
Currently. This election (which was also for congressfolk, both state and federal, and also governor) means that his party will be the second biggest... after PT.

All the old oligarchs got booted out, to my actual surprise.

Meanwhile, mr Acting President Totally-Not-A-Vampire has basically said "I don't even pretend to give a fuck anymore" and spends his time saying platitudes as he whiles away the last months of his mandate.

EDIT: Also, I shall refrain from redacting for now. If things get worse I'll do it, but right now I'd rather not be a coward.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:08:35 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 30, 2018, 01:18:19 pm »

Poor Temer, spent years trying to become the most hated man in Brazil just for Bozo to come and take it from him in three months...
In a time before time, I had a name.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 23, 2018, 10:53:21 pm »

So...

Brazil has a spare, what, 25k doctors? Just milling around to replace all the Cubans that left?

Doctors must not get paid well if the supply is that good.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 27, 2018, 05:40:22 pm »

Well, pay is way lower in the inner cities, and nobody wants to work for the rural areas because of bad infrastructure, equipment, and frequent "calotes", that is, they simply don't pay the workers sometimes.
I wouldn't be surprised if the recent move to the rural areas is mostly for cultural reasons instead of sudden realization that the pay is good enough for them after all.
In a time before time, I had a name.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 02, 2019, 07:59:30 am »

To be honest, I'm quite optimistic about our new government. Sure, we're all surrounded by fear, but at least it's a change, we have been ruled by the same party for over 14 years, it would have been 16 years if it was not by the Impeachment. And overall, we've had MASSIVE changes in the congress, lots of new faces around, lots of old faces leaving. While I myself was never a fan of the left wing, Bolsonaro was never my first option(All hopes for João Amoedo in 2022). But I do hope he will do a great job, after all, it's my home country, it's where I live!
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 02, 2019, 08:06:23 am »

To be honest, I'm quite optimistic about our new government. Sure, we're all surrounded by fear, but at least it's a change, we have been ruled by the same party for over 14 years, it would have been 16 years if it was not by the Impeachment. And overall, we've had MASSIVE changes in the congress, lots of new faces around, lots of old faces leaving. While I myself was never a fan of the left wing, Bolsonaro was never my first option(All hopes for João Amoedo in 2022). But I do hope he will do a great job, after all, it's my home country, it's where I live!
Meh. Sure, one party in power forever is bad, but... a fascist is not that great either.

Hell, his innauguration speech was full of hypocrisy and bulshit. Such as (paraphrasing): "I'll respect freedom of religion. I'll also restore our christian-judeo tradition", or "I'll stop the spread of ideologies" followed swiftly by "I'll restore brazilian society to traditional conservative values" (because that's totally not an ideology, no sir). Also such gems like building a society free of prejudice despite having often spoken in public about how blacks and women and gays are inferiors. Also his gun fetish (despite having once being robbed and *gasp* not reacting at all! (and having his gun stolen as part of that)).

So yeah, I'm salty a fascist domestic terrorist (see earlier in the thread, or just google how he was removed from the army) with a fetish for torture is now the president.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 02, 2019, 08:09:55 am »

Meh. Sure, one party in power forever is bad, but... a fascist is not that great either.

Hell, his innauguration speech was full of hypocrisy and bulshit. Such as (paraphrasing): "I'll respect freedom of religion. I'll also restore our christian-judeo tradition", or "I'll stop the spread of ideologies" followed swiftly by "I'll restore brazilian society to traditional conservative values" (because that's totally not an ideology, no sir). Also such gems like building a society free of prejudice despite having often spoken in public about how blacks and women and gays are inferiors. Also his gun fetish (despite having once being robbed and *gasp* not reacting at all! (and having his gun stolen as part of that)).

So yeah, I'm salty a fascist domestic terrorist (see earlier in the thread, or just google how he was removed from the army) with a fetish for torture is now the president.

Look on the bright side... At least he's not a woman!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 73