Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 73

Author Topic: Latin American Politics: Moralism  (Read 95242 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Latin American Politics: Border Block
« Reply #705 on: February 23, 2019, 10:40:21 am »

Okay, I couldn't find any articles about it in english due to bad website layouts making it hard to search for slightly older articles, but Venezuela has closed the Brazilian-Venezuela border. Refugees are still trickling in, but are having to slog through trenches or jungle to do so.

Apparently at the Colombian border, Venezuelan soldiers have left their posts, though it seems it was just a few of them.

BBC also has this live reporting page. Be aware of the site's biases and all, but so far its good info.

EDIT: Brazil's fascists government has said they won't invade Venezuela.

I think I saw an english article somewhere mentioning that Maduro closed the Venezuela-Brazil border, forget where though.

As for Brazil saying that they won't invade Venezuela, they said that months ago as well that the only involvement would be for humanitarian reasons. Though IMO, 'humanitarian reasons' could be applied pretty broadly, like Libya for example.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 23, 2019, 03:54:42 pm »

Escalating..... Maduro has cut off diplomatic ties with Colombia and is giving them 24 hours to leave, and is threatening the US in some way, the same rhetoric as before I guess.

editwhiletyping: And now, the Secretary General of OAS (Organization of American States) says that Maduro can't do that because he isn't legitimate. Doubt he'd be able to actually stop Maduro anyway.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 23, 2019, 04:00:23 pm »

Unfortunately in most of the world, whomever has the military is the de facto government of a country. Everything else is sadly secondary.

And Maduro has the military.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 23, 2019, 04:10:28 pm »

Escalating..... Maduro has cut off diplomatic ties with Colombia and is giving them 24 hours to leave, and is threatening the US in some way, the same rhetoric as before I guess.

editwhiletyping: And now, the Secretary General of OAS (Organization of American States) says that Maduro can't do that because he isn't legitimate. Doubt he'd be able to actually stop Maduro anyway.
Not that I want to defend this clown in any manner, but I recall the previous time the supposed threats against the US were actually a grossly mistranslated and spun phrase that then was subsequently bounced around English-language media
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 23, 2019, 09:08:58 pm »

No, the first time a few weeks ago was 24 hours too, then 72, then a week, then he didn't spoke about it again.

Fuck it darn it, they torched 3 trucks for a total of 60 tons of food, medicine and vaccines that would have helped so many people...

I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 23, 2019, 10:09:04 pm »

Damnit. The gov refusal of foreign aid is a terrible thing. Even diplomatic pouches aren't a guaranteed method of transmitting things, though hopefully it still works.

And I'm starting to worry that the US is trying to find a cause for military intervention.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:16:57 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 23, 2019, 11:35:09 pm »

Damnit. The gov refusal of foreign aid is a terrible thing. Even diplomatic pouches aren't a guaranteed method of transmitting things, though hopefully it still works.

And I'm starting to worry that the US is trying to find a cause for military intervention.
Considering how US senators went to the bridge that was never actually used (due to bureaucratic issues) and said it being closed was terrorism... yeah, I totally see that. Brazil is also trying to send a humanitarian convoy, but they're going through a path that is actually used (but currently closed, I think to stop people from leaving more than to keep stuff from coming in).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 24, 2019, 12:59:10 am »

No, the first time a few weeks ago was 24 hours too, then 72, then a week, then he didn't spoke about it again.

Fuck it darn it, they torched 3 trucks for a total of 60 tons of food, medicine and vaccines that would have helped so many people...

And all for the ego of one man.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 24, 2019, 01:41:58 am »

Not that I want to defend this clown in any manner, but I recall the previous time the supposed threats against the US were actually a grossly mistranslated and spun phrase that then was subsequently bounced around English-language media

Regardless, he's just doing the equivalent of an ant trying to roar at a lion and look strong.

Okay, maybe a rabbit, the ant would probably be the smallest, most inconsequential, country in existence.

Outside of humanitarian stuff that is.

Trumps admin is certainly leaving the option open. Maduro just needs to not be so stupid as to give us a reason to intervene militarily. At this rate it's going to be easier to base a loose causus belli off of something dumb Maduro did rather than create one. Hell, theres already a loose precedent with Libya, even though Ghaddaffi apparently wasn't actually about to commit genocide.

Of course though, the other problem is, would allies join in? I suppose Brazil and Colombia (or maybe Colombia intervening would make things worse*, given the history between them and Venezuela) might join in for humanitarian reasons, but South America would still be pretty pissed at the US for historical reasons I don't need to explain here. Maybe a bit less pissed if the reason was warranted, but still.

*LordBaal, would it be a problem if Colombia took part in a military intervention? I get that the two countries have had plenty of history between each other and wouldn't neccesarily call each other friends (not at this point in time, obviously), but given the circumstances and I don't know the general feeling the Venezuelan public has towards Colombia...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 01:59:46 am by smjjames »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 24, 2019, 10:36:38 am »

The bridge was indeed closed by terrorism. State terrorism. Not being in use is not the same as being actively blocked.

As for an intervention. Most likely it would be a coalition with Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Argentine and Paraguay doing most of the stuffs. And for this one, it seem the regime is actually eager to give US as much reasons to intervene and not the other way around.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 24, 2019, 10:55:51 am »

Such a coalition would actually have to be built first. Other than the US-Colombian partnership, I haven't seen any sign that anybody other than Colombia and Brazil would be willing to join in on such an intervention. Though that's based on what I know. I suppose any relations problems that Colombia and Venezuela have with each other would be mitigated somewhat if they were part of a larger coalition.

editwhiletyping: I had a thought, if Guyana joined into the coalition, things could get diplomatically complicated.

Given Trumps attitude towards allies, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to go it alone, though a desire not to get left holding the bag when it comes time to wind things down and reconstruct might give him enough pause to get others in.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:01:01 am by smjjames »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #716 on: February 24, 2019, 12:30:56 pm »

Maduro: Stop the medicine and food supplies from getting to the protestors, they are traitors using the supplies to rebel
Colombia: Why are they protesting?
also Maduro: Lack of medicine and food supplies

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 24, 2019, 12:34:00 pm »

editwhiletyping: I had a thought, if Guyana joined into the coalition, things could get diplomatically complicated.
In 1850 both Britain and Venezuela reached an agreement whereby they accepted not to colonize the disputed territory, although where this territory began and ended was not established.

Excellent. That is some peak governmenting.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 24, 2019, 12:51:37 pm »

I think is akin to the Somalia situation were the UN blue helmets did nothing, the US did nothing (I mean both they efforts went to waste) and finally the African Union had to step in.

Here we could simply skip the first parts and go directly to the last one. However the AU equivalent,  the OEA (or OAS as you migth know it) does includes USA.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 06, 2019, 06:12:27 am »

This video came down my recommended ones, about Venezuela. Thought it was worth sharing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeNCbXVHrR8
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 73