Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 96683 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #1020 on: January 14, 2020, 04:22:06 am »

The Jedi books aren't toast, Rey has them. You see them in a drawer at the end of TLJ and she reads them in RoS.
How do you know these were Jedi books and not some random Gungan smut, though?
"The Lusty Gungan Maid Vol. III"

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 14, 2020, 09:06:31 am »

Why can lightsabers be blocked by mere metal in books and games, but never ever in the films?

Lucas forgot this himself on occasion, but Vader's armor and Grevious's bodyguards' weapons are both shown blocking lightsabers in the movies.

Yeah, there are a few lightsaber resistant materials in the Legends canon that probably survived the transition to Disney.  Why everyone and their mama seems to have a weapon made out of it is a different matter since they were all supposed to be rare and nobody expects to face a Jedi.

For Vader and Grievous's bodyguards at least it makes sense.  I've read that canonically this is how Vader also blocked Han's blaster bolts in Empire Strikes back, but I always preferred the idea that he just did that through the Force.

Small grumbling aside, but if Jedi: Fallen Order is any indication, half of the wildlife in Star Wars has a lightsaber resistant hide...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 14, 2020, 10:20:08 am »

I subscribe to using the force to stop them too. It fits with what he was doing (he takes han's blaster with the force afterwards), he does it again in rogue one, and it fits well with the global theme of Force users looking down on blasters -not so much about a pacifist ethos as about how using them near them is pointless because they have so many ways to address the problem (precognition + reflexes, lightsaber or even force deflection if they are good enough),
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: January 14, 2020, 11:03:12 pm »

I subscribe to using the force to stop them too. It fits with what he was doing (he takes han's blaster with the force afterwards), he does it again in rogue one, and it fits well with the global theme of Force users looking down on blasters -not so much about a pacifist ethos as about how using them near them is pointless because they have so many ways to address the problem (precognition + reflexes, lightsaber or even force deflection if they are good enough),

Vice versa as well? See Han's comment about "hokey religions are no match for a good blaster" (paraphrase.)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: January 15, 2020, 03:57:44 am »

But Han did not get first hand experience about jedis et al until he meets Obi Wan and company. And the one time he tries dealing with one he gets pummeled.

Btw in my headcannon he's totally untrained-but-sensitive. Hence the good and bad feelings.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1025 on: January 15, 2020, 08:55:05 am »

using them near them is pointless because they have so many ways to address the problem (precognition + reflexes, lightsaber or even force deflection if they are good enough),
Tell that to all those Jedi during Order 66.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: January 15, 2020, 10:26:12 am »

Btw in my headcannon he's totally untrained-but-sensitive. Hence the good and bad feelings.

This wouldn't be unreasonable for the setting, though I'd prefer if it weren't true.  Star Wars already has a bit too much of the Force sensitive = you win problem in my opinion.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: January 15, 2020, 10:32:38 am »

using them near them is pointless because they have so many ways to address the problem (precognition + reflexes, lightsaber or even force deflection if they are good enough),

It's literal plot armor. When you can't keep up with the internal consistency of Star Trek (which is not a high bar to clear), just say a space wizard did it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: January 15, 2020, 01:26:46 pm »

It's literal plot armor. When you can't keep up with the internal consistency of Star Trek (which is not a high bar to clear), just say a space wizard did it.

o/ the novel explains it that clones have no negative emotions tied to the act of following orders, regardless of what those orders are. Therefore the Jedi didn't detect any ill will from them before they pulled the trigger. Because there wasn't any to sense.

Some especially sensitive Jedi, like Yoda, noticed anyway. But most of em got taken by surprise.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: January 15, 2020, 01:31:22 pm »

To be fair, many of them were overwhelmed by numbers and *did* get a danger sense from it; but it's generally accepted that Jedi get less warning from droids than they do from living beings since they can sense emotions...but because magic microchip -> no emotions to sense, they got less warning from the clones after Order 66 and it was pretty much like being attacked from behind by a lot of droids, except these were living beings that new how to put shots past a Jedi's defenses.

In short, space magic, explained after the fact, as is usual with the prequels and sequels, and to a lesser extent the OT as well.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: January 15, 2020, 01:40:19 pm »

There were a lot of things in the prequels that needed more explanation (Clone Wars cartoon helped a *lot*) but I thought Order 66 was pretty well portrayed. A montage of Jedi being overwhelmed by massed fire. Sometimes by surprise, but even the ones who noticed it coming failed to block everything.

These were gene soldiers performing ambushes, not some pilot with a pistol trying to gank space-Jesus.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: January 15, 2020, 02:13:29 pm »

It is one of the many reasons Jango was selected as the clone template, after all.
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: January 15, 2020, 02:18:08 pm »

Jedi precog generally gets overstated anyway, it's enough to survive a stand up fight against a few assailants at a time in favourable conditions and see basic ideas of short term danger or veeery vague long term stuff. It is not enough to magically dodge or deflect masses of blaster fire for any real length of time or predict future events down to the day.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: January 15, 2020, 02:29:04 pm »

No negative emotions tied to following orders? But... Didn't Clone Wars give the clones personality? And have some of them feel really bad about 66?

I suppose a direct contradiction makes as much sense as anything else in space-bibleland

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: January 15, 2020, 02:40:10 pm »

Regret ≠ Hesitation.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 81