Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: The forum is changing in a bad way?  (Read 8921 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: The forum is changing in a bad way?
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2008, 03:36:27 am »

...like there's something to wreck.

But that's just it.  The normal places where the term "Internet" is applied have spent so many years being hammered into the ground that they're already screwed up.  There isn't anything wreckable there, because it's all already been wrecked.

And then you've got the Bay12games forum.  It's this innocent little flower growing in the midst of flaming rubble, and seemingly the only reason it hasn't also been consumed is because nobody's managed to see it.

Bay12games is connected to the Internet, yes.  But it is not a part of the "internet".  Did that make any sense?

Yes, technically Bay12 is linked through a vast array of servers to 4Chan and YouTube and Gaia.  But it's not like them.

Why?  Because the people here have been so respectful, mindful, and pleasant.  That's the only reason this forum is different from the rest.  That dark background and bearded ASCII image have no intrinsic power for holding this place together, we have to do that.

This new "fun" is the same kind of "fun" I've seen just a few too many times.  I do not like seeing it here, because I know what it can lead to.  You just need a few guys who get a bit tired with the standard routines, and start goofing off in slightly dumb ways.  Eventually more people jump into the pool because, hey, the water's nice.  The dumb activities spread to a larger group, and people feel more confident about what they can suggest or attempt.  Things get dumber or angrier still, because it's till all just good fun.  Right?

And then more people hear about it, and come in from the outside.  Sometimes you get one of the bad ones.

They'll keep amping up the rage and stupidity in the playtime club, and eventually they'll twist it into something completely different.  Something disgusting and impossible to salvage.

Seem strangely detailed for another net-rage fueled mindless argument?  That's because it isn't.  I've seen this happen.

Here's the result:  http://www.spamgrounds.net/

That all started out as (mostly) good-natured jabs and impressions of stupid people. 

They eventually got so out of control that the subsection was split off and made into a separate site.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2008, 04:22:27 am »

Yes, some of us remember 4chan when it made a mockery by pretending to be racists, retards, and pedophiles.

Somewhere along the way it actually became racist, retarded, and filled with pedophiles.

However, that isn't to say that this forum will go down the same path, or that it was originally "innocent".

Hell, I, like many others on this site, lurked around and joined because of a story we read called "Boatmurdered". It was silly, it was stupid, but damn, it was pretty awesome.

So Something Awful did something good, I guess I can forgive it for moot breaking off to spawn 4chan.

Sometimes I'll go into 4chan's /tg/ where I'll see huge threads about DF. They love the game there, and it only popularizes it further.

If it weren't for the "internet" in all it's semi-retarded glory, we wouldn't have DF or the playerbase to support Toady.

EDIT:
And then you've got the Bay12games forum.  It's this innocent little flower growing in the midst of flaming rubble
Did you just call a forum where we regularly burn, drown, and smash innocents while butchering kittens an innocent little flower?  :D

Bay12games is connected to the Internet, yes.  But it is not a part of the "internet".  Did that make any sense?
Fuzzy wumples would like a word...

Yes, technically Bay12 is linked through a vast array of servers to 4Chan and YouTube and Gaia.  But it's not like them.
I don't know about youtube and gaia, but the playerbase of DF always struck me as the quintessential channer. See above two points.

Why?  Because the people here have been so respectful, mindful, and pleasant.  That's the only reason this forum is different from the rest.  That dark background and bearded ASCII image have no intrinsic power for holding this place together, we have to do that.
Agreed.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 04:31:31 am by KaelGotDwarves »

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2008, 08:16:09 am »

I don't know about youtube and gaia, but the playerbase of DF always struck me as the quintessential channer.

No.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2008, 09:56:08 am »

Yeah, it looks like the forum's going down the gurgler.  And the main culprit?

This thread.  ::)

But it ain't all bad...

You are all wrong and have bad hair.

...apparently on this forum I have hair!  Woot!
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2008, 10:24:47 am »

You are all wrong and have bad hair.

...apparently on this forum I have hair!  Woot!

No one said anything about hair on your head.   :P

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2008, 12:03:08 pm »

Huh, thanks for the constructive feedback.  ;D
So this thread is bad [why shouldn't we talk about these things again?], but trolling and spamming is ok.  ::)

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2008, 01:44:32 pm »

Huh, thanks for the constructive feedback.  ;D
So this thread is bad [why shouldn't we talk about these things again?], but trolling and spamming is ok.  ::)

You keep talking about trolling, and I understand why you don't want to name names but honestly without examples it's hard to gauge whether there is legitimate trolling going on that is being overlooked, or whether you're assuming conflict in certain areas is trolling. Not all heated arguments arise from someone intentionally stirring the pot. "Troll" does not mean "Someone who honestly disagrees with me and is a jerk about it". "Troll" implies malicious intent to create conflict, and I just don't see that here. I've seen the fuse of disagreement lit by arrogance and explode into one mess of a fight, but I wouldn't call any of that trolling.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2008, 02:16:53 pm »

You keep talking about trolling, and I understand why you don't want to name names but honestly without examples it's hard to gauge whether there is legitimate trolling going on that is being overlooked, or whether you're assuming conflict in certain areas is trolling. Not all heated arguments arise from someone intentionally stirring the pot. "Troll" does not mean "Someone who honestly disagrees with me and is a jerk about it". "Troll" implies malicious intent to create conflict, and I just don't see that here. I've seen the fuse of disagreement lit by arrogance and explode into one mess of a fight, but I wouldn't call any of that trolling.
I provide a Name for a troll! Tormy!

Tormy, you are accused of being a troll under the definition found here:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1764/what-is-a-troll

The Crime you are accused of is "Posting a controversial thread designed to bring nothing except conflict."
The evidence is found at http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25372.0
I Challenge you to refute this, or deliver yourself to the sentencing of the community as a whole.

Also, to refute your statement that elitism has nothing to do with this topic, I submit for consideration, that the rise in elitism equals exactly the rate of decline of the rehabilitation of n00bs to be functional members of the forum community.  Trolls don't care if someone tells them to go search rather than being provided an answer, people whom only registered to find out the answer do. It goes without saying that if you are given information, you have an obligation to provide it. By being forced to hunt for your information, the obligation of providing it goes away, since it was never given to you. This means the people who are the next helpful members of the community feel no tie of loyalty to the community. The only ones with ties then become those with history, or those who get kicks off of trollish behavior.

As such, Elitism IS the problem. The problem is never the symptoms, which would be the rise in trolls, the topics posted where they don't belong, the rate the avatar threads. Separating the cause from the symptoms in understanding the problem gives you the real problem. The cause of any declining forum is that the turnover from old to new doesn't correspond to a turnover of people who care about the content. If you honestly care about what goes into this forum, censor yourself. Ask yourself, does this set the example that you want others to follow.

Some people here (cough Kagus cough) need to seriously take a look at themselves, because my periodic checking has shown me an increasing level of elitism from them, which resembles more and more a behavior that would not be desired in a new person to the forum.

Increased moderation of a forum is never the answer; it is always a change of the base behavior of the "pillars of the community" that changes. Who has the big name recognition here? THEY are the ones that need to set the example. They are the ones that decide how the community works. They do it by mentoring new people out, the next generation of community members. By taking them in and teaching them how to behave, they increase the well-mannered people, which has the side effect of reducing the percentage of trolls.

(Modify: I forgot, I believe in America, so I can't convict without a trial of peers. "Convicted" changed to "Accused.")
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 02:19:44 pm by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2008, 03:27:49 pm »

Thanks for your reply Kogan, this was an interesting read, I must admit. First of all you can guess that the topic wasn't created from a trolling perspective of course. The topic wasn't designed to bring nothing except conflict. This topic is like a survey from my point of view. The problem is -and I realized this later on- that most of the older users are not even active anymore on the forum, or at least most of them are not posting. So basically Ive created a topic -in what I wanted to see the opinion of the older users- and mostly newer users are replying, and that is pointless. Newer users cannot have an objective opinion about this issue, since they weren't a part of the old community here.
..as for the other part of your post, I find it very good and constructive, especially this part:

"Increased moderation of a forum is never the answer; it is always a change of the base behavior of the "pillars of the community" that changes. Who has the big name recognition here? THEY are the ones that need to set the example. They are the ones that decide how the community works. They do it by mentoring new people out, the next generation of community members. By taking them in and teaching them how to behave, they increase the well-mannered people, which has the side effect of reducing the percentage of trolls."

This is a good enough advice.  :)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2008, 03:47:02 pm »

If dwarf fortress is growing in populatrity than, more dicks will join and we, the true bretherin, will be driven out and have to jon some other far off cult, maybe somewhere in Canada, yes, that would be nice.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2008, 04:19:13 pm »

Who are you again?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2008, 04:37:14 pm »

[sarcasm]I'm sure this calling out of names and elitism will end well.[/sarcasm]

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2008, 04:43:34 pm »

Let's get down to the meat of the situation: I am obviously the most elite of all here, so anything I say is fact.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2008, 04:49:28 pm »

Not so fast.  You treat your opponents with contempt for their refusal to see your side of things.  I on the other hand treat them with pity, as they are obviously of insufficient mental capacity to grasp my higher understanding.

Clearly, I am the superior elitist.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2008, 04:53:29 pm »

I am too elitist to even be involved with you worthless... wait...

This thread is changing the forum in a bad way. Yet a fun way at the same time. Though I've seen more entertaining aimless threads.
Gratuitous Peddlers?
Goblin Pianist?
Gopher Phone?

The moral? Don't troll about trolls.
Just like this, in fact.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9