Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4655 4656 [4657] 4658 4659 ... 10996

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13575414 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #69840 on: February 14, 2015, 06:14:33 pm »

I like how you can say both that I have no taste and that aristocratic ladies are undesirable in the same breath.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69841 on: February 14, 2015, 06:20:13 pm »

Mmhh, aristocratic higher daughters with a hidden rebellious side...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #69842 on: February 14, 2015, 06:22:37 pm »

It depends on whether you want brazen or subtle sauciness. That's all there is to it, and each man has his own say on the matter.

It's a really divisive topic.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #69843 on: February 14, 2015, 06:30:45 pm »

Oi. The women get their say, too. If the lady adventuress wants to take home the entire brothel, that's her prerogative.

Well, her and whoever has the cure disease spells, assuming she doesn't.

E: Though, in retrospect, your average adventurer could probably just tank whatever penalties they rack up from venereal diseases. Still, "Defeated the Dark Lord Aidymalh'c after contracting seven different kinds of clap" doesn't sound all that good for the bard songs.

E2: On the other hand, "Her warts slew five orcs on the way to the fortress of doom." actually sounds kinda' catchy. You might be able to work with that. I'm not entirely sure you'd want to, but you could.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:43:03 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69844 on: February 14, 2015, 06:31:29 pm »

It's a really divisive topic.
Well obviously - the harlots in question would either be very saucy or hardly saucy at all if no spreading was involved at all.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69845 on: February 14, 2015, 06:41:57 pm »

I might count as two of your brethren, as long as we can do that without bisection. I kinda like the various functions performed by my lower body.
Wait, wait, you're 10 feet tall and 450 lbs!?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #69846 on: February 14, 2015, 06:44:56 pm »

Is this the Crazy Helgo Quote Day? :P

Huh, I always wondered what Valentines day was about.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #69847 on: February 14, 2015, 06:47:07 pm »

I've begun reading The jackal of Nar. At first I thought it to be a fantasy version of the Afghanistan War. It even had a sort of Expy of Osama bin Laden who had studied in the fantasy equivalent of the West before becoming a religious fanatic.

Cue my WTF when I discovered that the book was published in 1999

Never heard of the book, but it may well have been intended as an allegory to the British occupation of Afghanistan or the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. Afghanistan gets taken over a lot.
We were funding Osama Bin Laden years before that book was written.

While it's true that the US was funding Islamic resistance groups in the region, Osama was not part of any of those groups so far as is known.
Wikipedia gave me the impression that he was.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69848 on: February 14, 2015, 06:48:58 pm »

Two of your smaller brethren who are starving? Surely there must be some ~1m tall dorfs in hunger-stricken regions...
The Bay12 postcard club

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #69849 on: February 14, 2015, 07:13:47 pm »

I've begun reading The jackal of Nar. At first I thought it to be a fantasy version of the Afghanistan War. It even had a sort of Expy of Osama bin Laden who had studied in the fantasy equivalent of the West before becoming a religious fanatic.

Never heard of the book, but it may well have been intended as an allegory to the British occupation of Afghanistan or the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. Afghanistan gets taken over a lot.

While it's true that the US was funding Islamic resistance groups in the region, Osama was not part of any of those groups so far as is known.
It's fairly complicated. The mujahadeen were not a particularly well-organized (which proved beneficial for the sort of guerilla warfare they were involved in), and the groups' memberships weren't exactly fixed. US arms (and Pakistani training) went to a large number of these groups, but not all, and the avialable unclassified information strongly suggests that Osama's groups were not affiliated with those reciving foreign aid (which makes a great deal of sense, as bin Laden was a wealthy man, and could easily obtain arms on the black market and avoid foreign strings on his weapons entirely) at the time those arms shipments were being made. It appears as if he grouped with them later on, but not at the time.

Of course, on second reading of the original statement (I misread the date as 1989, not 1999), Bin Laden was already a sworn enemy of the US, and had launched one attack (the bungled amateurish attack in 1993) on the WTC.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #69850 on: February 14, 2015, 07:16:20 pm »

ignore this post
It's FEF, not FEOF

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #69851 on: February 14, 2015, 07:21:41 pm »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #69852 on: February 14, 2015, 07:30:43 pm »

Of course, on second reading of the original statement (I misread the date as 1989, not 1999), Bin Laden was already a sworn enemy of the US, and had launched one attack (the bungled amateurish attack in 1993) on the WTC.

But not the Afghanistan war.

Granted, it could be inspired by the UK's version. Come to think about it, it likely is.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #69853 on: February 14, 2015, 07:42:56 pm »

I think I'm starting to see where the FATAL guys got some their ideas.
Wh-why can't the DM just decide what class of prostitute the party has met D:

Because sometimes the players throws action at the DM that the DM did not expect (like "I want to celebrate the defeat of the Dark Lord by contracting syphilis!") and instead of squandering to come up with something himself he can just roll on this table and get the basics of what kind of NPC the player finds.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69854 on: February 14, 2015, 07:46:44 pm »

Yes because project modern depictions of prostitution onto this setting :P

Nevermind that prostitutes in those time periods could have been incredibly influential or even members of nobility themselves.

I don't see the "WTF" factor here honestly. A generator that basically gets "personality" for a hypothetical "harlot" character... Seems rather useful especially since prostitutes are a good source of information.

I am sure they had generators for "soldiers" and "Guards" as well.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:48:27 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 4655 4656 [4657] 4658 4659 ... 10996