Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1529 1530 [1531] 1532 1533 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2302365 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22950 on: February 09, 2022, 04:43:35 pm »

While attempting to power-level my entire army, I've discovered just how hard a curve on experience gain the game puts on characters at around level 7 or so. To gain a level, a character must accrue 100 experience points; the most they can gain in one turn is 48, and usually that only comes from doing a lot of damage and killing an enemy(or enemies, if it's Tao). At higher levels, that drops drastically. Ironically, the healers Lowe and Khris, who are hard to level in the first chapter due to lacking offensive power, are less affected by the curve since healing even one hitpoint with their basic spell gives a flat 10 experience. The third healer, Gong, doesn't count since he doesn't lack offensive power(he's actually one of the killiest guys on the team).

I replayed the first battle until everyone was level 5, which did not actually take very long. Now, it's halfway through Chapter 2, and most everyone is around level 7, except Arthur who just joined and Tao who is a walking tactical nuke. The most people are getting from kills are around 20-24 experience points. Figured that I'd be able to clear the circus battle easily. The puppets and bats were easy enough. I slowly approached the main boss. I sent the leader, Max, to loot some chests, and some guys to deal with the Marionette's bodyguards.

I forgot that Ice Level 3 has a targeting radius of 3, plus an AOE of 2(I remember that one). In addition to that, and infinite MP to cast it, Marionette is fast. In two turns, it one-shotted Hans, and nearly one-shotted both Gort and Max, dropping both to 1HP and forcing me to retreat. The latter was a damn lucky one, too, since losing Max loses the battle. Ken also took a lot of damage(but he's an HP tank), but not before looting an upgraded weapon for the now-deceased-soon-resurrected Hans.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22951 on: February 10, 2022, 12:43:21 am »

I lost to Mid-Boss!  Third encounter, and it was my own fault entirely.  I was relying far too heavily on Laharl and Plenair, and easy mistake.  This was still ~1/4 into the base story, long before any of the true item-world or reincarnation madness.  Laharl and Plenair almost level 20, with several other characters more like level 10.  In some games that level disparity would mean I only had two characters, but one can accomplish a LOT with 8 characters of "chaff" - and at this point they can even do low but meaningful damage.

In particular they can help the "heavy hitters" attack several times a round, potentially, using the team-attack system.  What a beauty of game design.  I wonder if I can describe it: You have the low-level character approach the enemy and schedule them to attack, then you move a core character or two next to them, and "execute".  The newbie attacks, and is likely assisted by the core character who deals their massive damage.  If the assault succeeds, the newbie shares in the XP!

The kicker:  You then "cancel" the core character's movement, and then maybe move them next to a *different* newbie.  With good strategy and a lot of luck, Laharl can "assist" 3-5 other characters in the same turn.  The odds are a lot better if they're his pupils.

It reminds me of Homestuck's Dave Strider flash-stepping.  It makes a complete mockery of linear time, and that's clearly the goal.  There's a good realtime flashgame out there which recreates the mechanics of spawning time-clones to fight with, but this does something similar in Turn-Based-Tactics.

anyway Mid-Boss's minions landed sleep and paralysis on both Laharl and Plenair lol.  The AI tends to go after weaker characters first (making them particularly useful as strategic chaff) so Laharl actually survived, and things got really close.  At the end it was just him and Mid-Boss, and it was down to one turn's worth of damage.  very close.

I respectfully enjoyed a very pleasant Aria over the end credits - bit of a secret ending, as Overlord Mid-Boss surveyed his Netherworld.

Disgaea 1 PC
(Disgaea 5 used to run fine on this laptop, but now it very much doesn't.  Concerning.  The thing is falling apart in many ways, it isn't the games' fault.  I suspect I need to clean out the air system primarily.  On the plus side, the upper-right portion of the keyboard has mysteriously restored itself!  890~)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #22952 on: February 10, 2022, 02:03:32 pm »

There was a sexy catgirl Orin boss (who is also playable with mods, i have seen), there is maleifyed Suika boss (with gourd!), i wonder who else there is.  :D Died trying to make a screen of this hilarity, but failed.

Nioh 2. And yeah, i know well its the other way around.  :P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 02:08:23 pm by MCreeper »

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22953 on: February 11, 2022, 03:46:55 am »

Had established an initial home into The Drake in Raven Creek, had looted the gun shop in north for piles and piles of 7,62mm and 5,56mm (but no gun for either o_o), had few decent wheels... Then; wild helicopter appears. Okay, time to arrange some stuff, take an indoors day, rest up... During sleep I hear explosions, wonder if I had forgotten some random mod on for such stuff to happen?

Nah. I had put stove on for some pasta. During night the bloody thing had caught fire and burnt it's way into the ammo storage. My guy wakes into a bloody inferno, explosions having been ammo detonations, and quite swiftly dies. At least you didn't turn into another zed, mate.

Zomboid

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22954 on: February 12, 2022, 06:41:12 am »

I unexpectedly got caught by the helicopter, bringing an army of zombies down on my position. In a panic, I dive into the nearest house, which, fortunately, I hadn't yet entirely scrapped the interior of, so there's at least narrow doorways for me to make a desperate last stand in.

Miraculously, they're all interested in the garage door adjacent to the house I'm hiding in... letting me listen to the nervewracking sound of them pounding on a metal door, knowing that as soon as it gives, they'll probably move to the next structure down the road... unless the helicopter leaves, and they'll just do their own absentminded wandering off. Of course, the door breaks.

But they don't come shambling over to eat my face; some twenty of them just pass by without seeing me observing from the far end of the house. Miracle of miracles, only two spot me, and they pound on the window until it breaks, whereupon I cheerfully greet them with the same axe that has claimed some 250 of their brethren.

With this, the helicopter has passed... and I settle to read a few books in the bathroom, to give the horde time to disperse again.

I pop out, there's no zeds around... I start hiking back to my safehouse, and spot a lonely zed in the middle of the street. I approach it, zoom in to get a better view to gauge distance... and fail to realize that in the tense time I was hiding out, I accidentally switch my mousewheel from ratchet to freespin. I overcorrect and zoom way out, my swing goes wide, and it gets a scratch on me that somehow landed on one of the few vulnerable parts of my body and infects me with a 7% success rate.

Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22955 on: February 13, 2022, 11:37:10 am »

Salt&Sanctuary
Having managed to beat the Mad Alchemist boss and reached level 20, i was starting to get confident in my character survivability and moved to the next area.

It was there i discovered the place was swarming with xenomorph-like monsters named "Retchfeeders".

At that point my character one shot them, so it's not their resistance that is a problem, it's their jump that grab you (they even managed to grab me that while i was jumping over a pack of them and unfortunately blocking does not stop a grab) and allow them to immobilize you on the ground for a few seconds (while hurting you too) , allowing the other retchfeeders to come close, and then one or more of them will start their "infinite claw strike combo" that just stunlock you constantly.

And with me always missing my roll key on my keyboard (i guess it's time to bind it elsewhere :D), that's often as a result a dead character :D

Damn them retchfeeders.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 11:41:02 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22956 on: February 13, 2022, 11:48:25 am »

I lost to Mid-Boss!  Third encounter, and it was my own fault entirely.  I was relying far too heavily on Laharl and Plenair, and easy mistake.  This was still ~1/4 into the base story, long before any of the true item-world or reincarnation madness.  Laharl and Plenair almost level 20, with several other characters more like level 10.  In some games that level disparity would mean I only had two characters, but one can accomplish a LOT with 8 characters of "chaff" - and at this point they can even do low but meaningful damage.

How did you get Plenair so early?

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22957 on: February 13, 2022, 04:39:49 pm »

So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22958 on: February 13, 2022, 05:16:27 pm »

Sure, but they did that before they lost the game to Mid-boss?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22959 on: February 13, 2022, 06:29:06 pm »

Sure, but they did that before they lost the game to Mid-boss?

Sure; you just need to lose to Mid-boss before you lose the game to Mid-boss again. :D

(On the other hand, Disgaea DS doesn't even let you get her until NG+... but it does have Prinny Commentary, which automatically makes it the best version.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22960 on: February 13, 2022, 06:39:26 pm »

This is a classic image from Disgaea PC, from when I was grinding in the item world:
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22961 on: February 14, 2022, 02:28:31 am »

How did you get Plenair so early?
Actually the Steam version of Disgaea 1 just gave me Plenair directly after the introduction, along with the three prinnies and Etna!  It's interesting that she's supposed to be unlocked.  I played a lot of Disgaea 1 on PS2 but this was my first time ever playing it on PC.  Unless it somehow detected my advanced Disgaea 2 cloud saves... surely not!

It's a fair question because she's pretty OP, despite starting at level 1 IIRC.  Good unique skills and a gun-user out of the gate.
This reminded me of a Disgaea 2 post I made a while ago: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83528.9150
That's the correct page, even though I couldn't link the specific posts due to the glitch.  I'm pretty happy with those screenshots.

This probably doesn't count, but I tried to load up Disgaea 5 again today and was COMPLETELY lost, lol.  On top of the performance issues on my laptop.  Bounced back to 2 and I'm only very lost.  I asked the prinnies for gameplay reminders and they called me mean names because I'm in the Land of Carnage  :'( owned  :'(
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22962 on: February 18, 2022, 04:59:55 pm »

I am two star sectors away from Eden's star system.  Pirates drag me out of hyperspace.  I try to get the hyperdrive back up, they offer to stop shooting if I turn off the hyperdrive.  I figure I can make it, so I ignore them.  My wounded crew decide fixing the ship is more important than getting the damn hyperdrive charged.

Eventually, the pirates penetrate my hull stabilizer.  I get the two crewmen into a shuttle and attempt to hide out in the nearby derelict.  It's full of the bad sort of alien bugs.  After a brief firefight, they knock out one crewman.  I have the second one try to pick him up.  He gets knocked out in the effort.

The aliens take my crew captive.  The Pirates raid what is left of my ship.  They decide the raid the Alien-infested derelict.

They manage to kill my crew (probably by accidental fire, I had told one of them to surrender) then get killed by the Aliens.  Now there are three derelict ships in the system.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22963 on: February 18, 2022, 08:02:35 pm »

Found the last "?" mark on my base's map, which required some digging and bridge building. It turned out to be a statue of the Evil God.

I stupidly decided to bash it down. I then even more stupidly sent my entire army down the staircase that the statue was hiding. Inside was a cave filled with tar and good intentions*. And a/the devil. While it was probably more due to the tar immobilizing everyone, the devil erased everyone. Six fully-equipped, fully-trained(as much as the starting stuff can) goblin warriors, a wizard, and a priest; not one survivor.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22964 on: February 19, 2022, 09:22:29 am »

Turns out certain types of undead in the latest version have spells that can paralyze you. I walked into a necromancer's tower expecting easy to pulp zombies, and my guy ended broken on the floor, going through several pages of combat reports before finally dying.

DF
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 1529 1530 [1531] 1532 1533 ... 1571