Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702305 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7140 on: October 12, 2013, 05:18:41 pm »

A team of mages that act as an anti-terrorist unit.
That would be good.
Oh yes.
And accidentally be terrorists themselves, likely.
In a way that sounds like Magicka.
I'd play it.
I would too if I were not so busy IRL.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7141 on: October 13, 2013, 12:31:00 am »

I just designed an OP for a gemcraft based game. How does that tickle everyone's fancy?

Basically, monsters move from one segment to the next each turn, gems kill a number of monsters in the segments each turn, stopping them from advancing on your orb(s), and can reach multiple segments (depending on gem grade). Players have special abilities to distinguish themselves from each other, and as they aren't AS strong as the wizards the actual games focus on, only have access to 3 gems each. However, these don't have to be limited to the same gems as the games.

As it's turn based, it gives you more time to think about what to do, but there's set amounts of times between when you CAN act. And as a Roll to Dodge, there's a chance for things to go horribly wrong every turn. A gem may have a crack in it that makes it heal monsters every sixth or so turn, or you might destroy a gem when you were trying to improve it; on the other hand, you might radically improve a gem further then you meant to, or split it into three gems of the same power, or one that's already on the field might spontaneously gain a rank.

Anyone game for this, or should I let this sit on the back burner?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: October 13, 2013, 01:14:39 am »

Ok, I thought of a thing.

Wizards and Whiskey

The idea is that you play as a group of inept dwarven wizards, and you restore your mana by being totally drunk, but as you get drunk, you take penalties to your casting, making it more likely for you to blow yourself up in a miscast.

I imagine that it would involves many burned taverns.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7143 on: October 13, 2013, 01:25:02 am »

Sounds like the path RtD/R/D/D could have gone, had people not tried to spawn as dragons and humans and a virus.
And Xantlesnake.

Sounds pretty awesome, though. If it doesn't become a thing to just derail any mastahcheese thread to HFS. Seriously, guys, if he does this don't derail this one! Keep the derailing to where it is! Please!
The Cyan Menace

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: October 13, 2013, 06:46:32 am »

I just designed an OP for a gemcraft based game. How does that tickle everyone's fancy?

Basically, monsters move from one segment to the next each turn, gems kill a number of monsters in the segments each turn, stopping them from advancing on your orb(s), and can reach multiple segments (depending on gem grade). Players have special abilities to distinguish themselves from each other, and as they aren't AS strong as the wizards the actual games focus on, only have access to 3 gems each. However, these don't have to be limited to the same gems as the games.

As it's turn based, it gives you more time to think about what to do, but there's set amounts of times between when you CAN act. And as a Roll to Dodge, there's a chance for things to go horribly wrong every turn. A gem may have a crack in it that makes it heal monsters every sixth or so turn, or you might destroy a gem when you were trying to improve it; on the other hand, you might radically improve a gem further then you meant to, or split it into three gems of the same power, or one that's already on the field might spontaneously gain a rank.

Anyone game for this, or should I let this sit on the back burner?
This does interest me, having played the games it's inspired by. You'd have to plan out quite a few things in advance though.
Edit: Also no ones brought back the testing thread yet. ;p In addition to my previous statements, I'd recommend against allowing minimalists in it, since the lack of mechanics sort of defeats the point of testing. On the note of Monster hunter, I've started doing small tests offline. Might post results as I go along.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:52:53 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: October 13, 2013, 12:03:06 pm »

Well, I know I'd have to plan a few fields out, and the waves that go with; as well as any nests or tombs, and how experience works.
Other than that, I was planning on winging what I didn't already have in my OP.

Know what? I'll do it. Expect the thread to be up later today, after I've designed a couple fields.

Edit: Working on the table to generate waves of monsters right now. Got multiple 6x3 grids on my document, can generate up to 7 waves per field (Yes, this is far less then the actual games, but this is an RtD, needs to be quicker) in 5 different monster types.
Edit2: Alrighty, so the best case scenario if the first wave is giant monsters, is one monster with 4 hp and 2 armor. The worst case is 3 monsters with 8 hp and 6 armor. This is for rolls of 5 and 1 respectively.
I've got the first wave for each monster type completely ready for generation. I still need up to the 4th normal wave and the third wave for every other to make the first field playable.

Now, to make this illustrated or not? I don't have skills like FFS or Mastahcheese, but I could make the maps... maybe.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 01:15:52 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: October 13, 2013, 01:31:01 pm »

Edit: Working on the table to generate waves of monsters right now. Got multiple 6x3 grids on my document, can generate up to 7 waves per field (Yes, this is far less then the actual games, but this is an RtD, needs to be quicker) in 5 different monster types.
Edit2: Alrighty, so the best case scenario if the first wave is giant monsters, is one monster with 4 hp and 2 armor. The worst case is 3 monsters with 8 hp and 6 armor. This is for rolls of 5 and 1 respectively.
I've got the first wave for each monster type completely ready for generation. I still need up to the 4th normal wave and the third wave for every other to make the first field playable.

Now, to make this illustrated or not? I don't have skills like FFS or Mastahcheese, but I could make the maps... maybe.

This seems like a good fit for a gemcraft game map

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: October 13, 2013, 01:51:56 pm »

This seems like a good fit for a gemcraft game map

Cool. I'm trying it out and playing with it... but...
It doesn't really seem to fit with what I have in mind.
It definitely fits with some other ideas I've had, so I'll be hanging on to that, but I don't think it will be used in this project.

Edit: Alright, playing with Paint.net has yielded this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I present, the first field, in image form. Rather simple, but exactly what I was thinking of. The first field will for sure require the players to work together, but future fields will allow them to split up, if they so desire. This one has no beacons, nests, or tombs, and in fact the only special sections are the split, the orb, and the two with mana shards.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 02:46:35 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7149 on: October 13, 2013, 02:55:20 pm »

My latest idea...

Wolver - A Game of Predators In A Frozen Land

Heading for the dawn
Of our way of life
You're welcome to give it your best try...
Look me in the eyes, oh, wolver
This ain't your fairy tale...

The ones who seek justice,
Will pray for it all their lives...
They can and they will skin us all one day...
Oh can you hear them cries?
As far as the man can run from us we're following the trail of blood
So hunt my young ones,
The pack they have always feared is back
-Sonata Arctica

Wolver follows the exploits of wolves in a country similar to 19th century Russia. Play will occur in phases, the first being vignettes of action and adventure that can mark turning points in the pack’s fortune and the second phase filling in the rest of the year through the easier times.

Many of the action sequences will occur in winter, the most desperate time, and will involve confrontations with human civilization. When the big game disappears, and even the mice are buried under 3 meters of protective snow, the human and their livestock may be the only food available. But anger the men at your peril lest they hunt you with dog and gun.

This is intended to be a story told at the generation scale, if your wolf is killed you can continue playing as it’s offspring. Speaking of offspring, winning a mate will be important, you want the strongest one available but so does everyone else. Offspring will have stats influenced by those of both parents. So yes if the game continues long enough you can breed yourself a stronger character.

The game will use a point spend system, giving the players direct but limited control of their bonuses to rolls. Combat will be short and brutal, reflecting a narrativist style in which the intent of actors should be resolved in their favor most of the time. At least if you have the points to pay for it. If you want to rip out the throat of the peasant who is staring you down it’s probably going to happen. But he wants to stab you with his hunting knife if you lunge. That’s probably going to happen too.

Potential NPC female mates will only pay attention to the most impressive physical specimens available. Rivals for affection can battle for dominance. This is generally bloodless, involving lots of displays of size and some wrestling to prove strength. The loser of this contest must retreat from the field or the violence will escalate, probably not ending well for them. This may be a problem as there are generally slightly more males than females in a pack. Most pairs mate for life and are monogamous.

Prototype Stats

Size - Roughly reflects durability, also counts double for impressing mates
Strength - Used for hurting things
Agility - Used for escaping harm
Running - Used for tests of speed or endurance.
Senses - Find and notice stuff

Perhaps 6d6 points would be given to players to distribute amongst these statistics setting the size of the point pool. When a player must make a skill test related to one of the categories they can spend points from the pool for bonuses.

Starting players are assumed to be 2 years old. Each year they get 1d6 more points until they are 5 years old. At which point they start losing 1d8 per year. Wolves only live about 10 years in the wild.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:57:09 pm by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: October 13, 2013, 03:07:30 pm »

I would play it, but the pool system is not clear enough: you have a pool of points in those stuff, but they don't give you a permanent bonus, but you decide wether to use it or not? And how would you restore your pool? It can work for some things, but stuff like size, for example, shouldn't have a pool-based system.

The mating part adds a nice flavor.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7151 on: October 13, 2013, 03:24:03 pm »

You're right, size isn't actually a skill you can spend, that was more like a feature that has to exist as a logical part of mate selection and such.

Basically rolls for things that could fail are intended to work like the Gumshoe system General Abilities.

The roll is 1d6, and for a standard test you need 4 or better to succeed, but it can be easier or harder. Each point you spend from the related pool gives you +1. For example overpowering prey would use the Attack pool. So players can blow it all for an important roll, or try their luck spending 1 or even none.

Points would refresh either at the end of a action 'chapter' or when the character rests/eats during gameplay. I haven't decided yet, and it partly depends on how big the pools are.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: October 13, 2013, 03:34:48 pm »

OK, speedy waves and normal waves fully fleshed out to the seventh wave.
Because this is an RtD, I can't have 20+ waves per field or we'll never see more than one field.
But then I have to explain why there's so little. It's because you are somewhat novice wizards that are cleaning up what was left behind by more skilled wizards. You will have the chance, eventually, to be facing down larger numbers of waves per field, but the game will have to go on longer than the first perplexicon game did, or something like that. ;)

Still need to make the swarm waves, the armored waves, and the giant waves; these tables are taking much longer than I thought - the fields themselves (except for art) are as quick or quicker to make than I thought.

Depending on how long I leave signups open, I think I can post the OP now, though.

Edit: Sign ups are open Now on correct board! heheh
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:56:29 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

nightcrafter27

• Bay Watcher
  • Extrapolator Extrodinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: October 13, 2013, 11:51:59 pm »

So I've worked on the Go Fish to Dodge idea some more, and wrote up some rules in an OP for it. I'll put it here for anyone who wants take a look. Some feedback on what looks like it will or will not work would be much appreciated  :D
I'd love to GM this, once I do have some free time, but if somebody wants to take it and run, go ahead.

Go Fish to Dodge!

The wizards had been sitting around the tower for at least an hour now, grumbling about what to do. Nobody could come up with entertainment that wouldn't get them exiled from the kingdom. Again. In frustration, one wizard threw his deck of summoning cards across the room, shouting "We can't even play a regular card game with these!" As the deck crashed into the golem case, one of his companions had a moment of brilliance. "In fact, we might be able to make this work..."

Spoiler: Main Theme (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Deck and Go Fish (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Actions and Turn Order (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: A Few Last Words (click to show/hide)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: October 14, 2013, 06:58:36 am »

Sounds interesting.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 661