Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702215 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7185 on: October 24, 2013, 08:09:56 pm »

I just created a game where the players have complete unmoderated control and I'm responsible only for narrating their intentions. HELP!
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7186 on: October 24, 2013, 08:33:24 pm »

I kinda want to do a double-game, where the actions in the first game directly influence the second one...

The first has 12 players. Each player will be in charge of developing, testing, and producing an AG Racing ship (WipEout series) for each "era", or tournament class. A major tournament is held every three years, with a trial available once a year including tournament years for skirmishing and live testing.

Models will have a suffix on their name as to the class they are legal/non-obsolete in. Each company should produce somewhere between 3-6 ship types, though depending on the strength, actions, and placement of each company in the league, they may drop down to 1 or completely die off. Other players may offer to merge, and if no offers are made, it's game over.

Making ships requires a few things. Money is probably the most important. It takes hard cash to develop a good ship, and if the development stage is problematic, it will cost more than normal. You can also develop components- these are guaranteed things that you can add to any ship to make up for a bad roll- say, a reverse-wing airbrake system. Having that, even from older generations, can bring a failed design up from the grave. It does cost money to bring a system up to date, however, so very old designs might be better scrapped than kept around.

If I was trying to design a ship, with the plan "Maximize speed at all costs", I may go about it any number of ways in any level of extremity. I may have a tight cockpit and very light, weak shielding, or I could strip the craft of nearly everything, including steering, weapons, and speed control, and rely on air brakes and auto-acceleration. Players will need to explain what makes their ship what it is- how it looks, what it has.

Design does boil down to rolls, however. They also boil down to money.

Let's say it costs $200,000 to design a ship from the ground up. This is a mockup of all planned features, to aim for certain stats, and only involves a single roll for each of the four stats. Once that's done, I can try to fix design errors at $100,000 + n($50,000) where n is the number of times previously re-rolled. I can try to augment a design that I'm happy with, adding 1 point, for $350,000 + n($50,000) where n is the current number of augmentations on a certain design. I can try to add a unique feature to a ship for a base price of $100,000, no ship may have more than one. Unique features make a ship different from any other- such as mounted weapons as a permanent fixture, or the above "super-extreme" solution to maximizing speed.

You gain money from each good placement in races, which is semi random, and from sponsorships. Non-racing companies may like your ship and want to advertise. They'll give you a lump sum plus extra money for wins, though lose enough times and they'll quickly want to terminate their contract with you.

Since races are semi-random (A ship with more total points is more likely to win a race, there will be simulated tracks where certain stats are better than others, each simulated tournament has six courses total) some teams may just have hard luck. The goal here is to survive as long as possible.

Buying a player who's lost the ability to enter a new design isn't as simple as brokering a deal between yourselves. The buyer may have to pay anywhere from 1/4th to 1/2 the total worth (money spent) of the company they want, or a price set by the bank who now owns it.
----

Once the game is played, a group of pilots begin playing the next game, working their way through every tournament level, repeating history as it happened. The company they pledge to/are randomly assigned to is guaranteed to never fully die (as even those who are not bought are "bought" by NPC companies). They will have access to the ships YOU build.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: October 24, 2013, 08:56:34 pm »

What would people think of a TOTALLY NOT HALF-LIFE INSPIRED RtD set in a sprawling sci-fi research facility with all sorts of unethical experiments gone amok? The players would be scientists, security guards, soldiers, terrorists (I know there are no terrorists in the game which this is TOTALLY NOT INSPIRED BY, but they fill the role of the Black Ops here), and other TOTALLY NOT HALF-LIFE INSPIRED "classes".

Note: I have no problem if this comes across as really corny. That's intentional.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: October 24, 2013, 09:15:51 pm »

Sounds interesting. Would at least consider applying for.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: October 24, 2013, 09:21:31 pm »

I agree with that, I would sign up right away for that kind of stuff
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: October 25, 2013, 05:56:54 am »

Just testing the water for something I might run at the end of November.

MTF███
Based on the SCP wiki. The players are all operatives moving into the site of a containment breach. It hasn't been nuked because one of the keter class objects within would be triggered by that, possibly ending the world.

Actions are handled using a basic d6 system, nothing fancy, but encounters are completely unplanned on my part.
Quote from: Encounter System
Encounter Type
(1) - Trace
(2) - Noise
(3) - Victim
(4) - Encounter (Unaware/Inert)
(5) - Encounter (Aware/Active)
(6) - Encounter (Ambush)

Environment
(1) - Hazardous
(2,3) - Favours SCP
(4,5) - Favours Team
(6) - Containment

Choice Pool
(1,2,3) - Something that previously had a Trace,Noise/Sighting or Victim result.
(4,5) - From the SCP List
(6) - 1/3 chance of J-class, otherwise as (4,5)
Any blank entries on the list are a wildcard for me. Fun.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: October 25, 2013, 05:59:35 am »

Sounds cool, i would go for that
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #7192 on: October 27, 2013, 12:17:44 am »

EDIT: If you didn't know, this would be my first time running an RTD-any tips starting out?
1: GIVE THE PLAYERS A GOAL! If they don't have a goal, they'll get bored and quit. I've made that mistake... what, 4 times? Yeah, make sure the players know what their objective is.
2: Figure out the rules BEFORE you start the game, as editing rules in-game is a baaaad idea unless it's fairly minor or it won't have any noticeable affects at the current state. Because not only will it disrupt the players, but it creates extra work for you when changing things.
3: Figure out what crowd you want to attract: Little rules, and you'll invite the people who are just in so they can die horribly. Lots of rules, and you'll only get the HARD CORE RTD players, and would be better off in the Forum Games and Roleplaying sub-forum and not the Roll To Dodge sub-sub-forum. The middle point is what you're aiming for. Hit it and people of all kinds will flock to play.
4: Don't overburden yourself. The more you burden yourself, the more bored you'll be while writing a turn. Make your RTD as simple as possible without ruining the quality.
5: Make sure you give players enough optional crap to fill out because some of us just like to fill out stuff for the lulz.
6: Some players love to get themselves horribly killed or mutated. Keep that in mind.
7: Expect anything. Players are always Chaotic Evil insane psychopaths that will do the last thing you'd expect them to do.

Whew. Got all that?

I found this ancient wisdom while delving into the early days of this thread. It seemed worth pulling up to the present.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: October 27, 2013, 12:21:56 am »

Huh. Funny thing is it looks like piecewise followed those rules to the letter with Einsteinian Roulette... Except for maybe 4, I dunno how the dude is so dedicated. @_@
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: October 27, 2013, 12:30:12 am »

A general rule I seem to follow is that the lifespan of the character should directly correlate with how long it takes to fill out the character sheet.

If you never have to scroll back to the rule page to make your character, then you should be ok with getting them killed on the second turn.

Heck, in the beginning of my Roll to Die/Revive/Dwarf/Derail game, a person got killed as they were spawning.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: October 27, 2013, 12:36:00 am »

Woah, I made that post? I barely even remember it. And I've changed so much since then.

Huh. Funny thing is it looks like piecewise followed those rules to the letter with Einsteinian Roulette... Except for maybe 4, I dunno how the dude is so dedicated. @_@
I haven't read the RTD, but maybe he just enjoys it rather than is burdened by it? If you enjoy something, burden basically disappears.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: October 27, 2013, 12:41:48 am »

Uh, it's the one with like twenty to thirty active characters spread across three threads running concurrently that, at 50 ppp, have about 800 pages total. >.> That's why I say dude's got dedication. Whether or not he enjoys it, that's a lot of work to put into something. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: October 27, 2013, 12:50:33 am »

A general rule I seem to follow is that the lifespan of the character should directly correlate with how long it takes to fill out the character sheet.

If you never have to scroll back to the rule page to make your character, then you should be ok with getting them killed on the second turn.

Heck, in the beginning of my Roll to Die/Revive/Dwarf/Derail game, a person got killed as they were spawning.

Yeah, at that character creation was just picking a color. Before the first time it completed and was re imagined.
Least. Work. Ever. for creating a character.
Oh, unless all that was involved was saying "in".

Hmmm.... I should create a generator that uses the player's screen name and a few dice to create their character, so that they get a super interesting and complex character, but all they do to make it is say "in".
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: October 27, 2013, 12:52:22 am »

That would be pretty cool to see, flabort. ^^^

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: October 27, 2013, 12:53:32 am »

But then, following Tarran's 2011 advice, they wouldn't have enough investment to justify playing the character :P

All of those things he said back then were right, though. Experimentally verified!
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 661