Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448723 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile

Yeah, it seems like parachutes can't handle more than one thing. I'm not even sure if they work on ejected boosters.
It works, just activate the parachutes before you eject the boosters.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile

I love space and physics, but I suck at math for the time being (public schools are completely useless on some countries. Mine included), but anyone needed to study something before doing missions like going into orbit, etc?

I'm thinking about something to do, like making orbit with a rocket, and storing enough fuel to break the orbit with a liquid fuel engine, just for training.

I liked the idea with parachutes on rockets, didn't know they could even attach to rockets. Haven't played around with the game yet, just enough to make that weird orbit yesterday that ended up killing the crew.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

I love space and physics, but I suck at math for the time being (public schools are completely useless on some countries. Mine included), but anyone needed to study something before doing missions like going into orbit, etc?

Here's the beginner's guide to Gettin' Into Space, almost no math required.

For Orbit: Try to reach an altitude of 40km going at least 600m/s, then crank it eastward until your compass is on the horizon and let parabolic physics do the work for you.  Ideally, you can achieve a stable and only slightly elliptical orbit be reaching a speed of between 2000m/s and 3000m/s at an altitude of 100-200km.

Getting to the Moon: Achieve orbit as described, then head all the way around the planet.  The moment you see the Moon come up over the horizon, gun it at full throttle (making sure you're pointed dead at the horizon on your compass.  Periodically check your Orbit Calculator (which does all the work for you) and kill throttle when your orbital track cross the Moon's path.  Technically, you can do this any time from orbit, it's just that if you line it up with the Moonrise, you'll come pretty close to intercepting it and orbiting around.

Other than that, just experiment like crazy.  You'll need to, to make rockets big enough to achieve things.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

welp, I'm gonna ore order the game as soon as my new graphics card gets here.

also, does the game run faster in 0.13 or whatever version it is?

to me .13 runs better, and 13.2 even more.

for some reason, the building scene runs worse, way worse than when in game.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #1294 on: February 03, 2012, 12:52:02 pm »

Yes, 0.13 was purely a bugfix and optimization update, so the performance is significantly better than in previous versions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #1295 on: February 03, 2012, 01:54:27 pm »

Yes, 0.13 was purely a bugfix and optimization update, so the performance is significantly better than in previous versions.
Yay! that means when I get it, I can actually build more monstrous space station things!
Using mods, OFC, the vanilla game doesn't let you make very good space stations. Or ways of getting whole station parts into orbit.
Plus they're gone on your next launch. No docking with previously-launched stations yet.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: February 03, 2012, 07:30:29 pm »

Yay! that means when I get it, I can actually build more monstrous space station things!
Using mods, OFC, the vanilla game doesn't let you make very good space stations. Or ways of getting whole station parts into orbit.
Plus they're gone on your next launch. No docking with previously-launched stations yet.
Next update, hopefully...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

So hey, if nobody noticed (which judging by how dusty the thread is, you probably haven't), Kerbals In Space updated to version .14!  It's still in the experimental release stage, but more importantly, you now have to preorder/donate at least $10 in order to get the newest version.

Updates?  Updates:

-Multiple rockets!  No shit.  I'm still figuring out how it works, but the important thing is, you can leave a craft in flight, and launch other ones, and switch between them.  They can't really fly themselves, but if you leave them in a stable orbit, they'll stay there.

-Landers!  Lander legs anyway, that fold down and kinda work.  Stacks have a tendency to separate on landing, but they're in the cards at least.  Builder symmetry improvements help too.

-New Kerbonauts?!  Yep, to accommodate the multiple craft thing, there's now a roster of crewmen (apparently), with suitable names.  Bill, Bob, and Jebidiah are retired, but will live on in legend forever.  (I'm pretty sure they new guys map up to the old personalities by window slot, but I can't really tell.)

So yeah, it's experiment time.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

-New Kerbonauts?!  Yep, to accommodate the multiple craft thing, there's now a roster of crewmen (apparently), with suitable names.  Bill, Bob, and Jebidiah are retired, but will live on in legend forever.  (I'm pretty sure they new guys map up to the old personalities by window slot, but I can't really tell.)
NOOOOOOOO!

But oh man, new version. I'll have to scrape some dollars together.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Nah, they aren't retired, they just got promoted to mission control for all of their great work.

And you only had to pay $7 for the pre-preorder before, so woo for me saving 3 bucks :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I accidnetally the everything before I realized that my 5 year old flight sim yoke wasn't calibrated properly because it had been sitting on its side for most of that time.  Flew like a true hero.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

First problem I've noticed?  The lander legs are too short, considerably shorter than any of the rocket motors, so you can't have engines on the bottom when landing.  This is fine for in-atmosphere because you have parachutes (judging by the default craft, that's how it was tested), but it makes them useless for a lunar lander.

Nah, they aren't retired, they just got promoted to mission control for all of their great work.

And you only had to pay $7 for the pre-preorder before, so woo for me saving 3 bucks :P

I thought so too.  Apparently, they reneg'd and you'll have to donate three more dollars for it to still count as preordering.  That, or either them or I fucked up somewhere.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Well, theres two fixes to that problem:
1. Tell them that they're too short
2. Mods!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

I was like, OHMIGOSH UPDATE!, until I realized I couldn't find it.
Yeah, I found it now :P

Anyways, trying it out, woo!

EDIT: How does one get the lander legs to deploy?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:06:26 pm by Twi »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

EDIT: How does one get the lander legs to deploy?
G key
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 848