Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1288170 times)

Megawott06

• Bay Watcher
  • A dorfy Dewott.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9255 on: February 09, 2019, 06:22:33 pm »

Reached Canada on my second attempt ever.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9256 on: February 09, 2019, 06:48:14 pm »

Met with Runemaster Babus and his royal knights and warmages, looking for someone threatening the Prince.  They were on top of a mountain, because this game insists on giving every enemy a height advantage unless you're literally in a swamp.

Marche, the protagonist:  "The prince?  Durr he's just a kid, also I want to destroy the world!" (paraphrased slightly)

Babus found offense in this, somehow.  Before any of his guard could move, he ran down the mountain and cast Demi on Marche (a silly spell that can't even kill).
Unfortunately for him, he was directly next to my whole team and alone.  It was over before his army got even close.  That counted as a victory, as he teleported away.  Presumably the imperial guard wandered off.

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9257 on: February 09, 2019, 08:55:49 pm »

Assembled a small, barebones mining ship. After a few mishaps that nearly resulted in both it and the main ship plummeting into a nearby planet, I took it out for a run. Slow as ass, and even worse with a load of cargo, but I was able to haul over 8k of nickel in one trip, whereas flying my spaceman back and fort yields only about 700 per trip.

It was over before his army got even close.  That counted as a victory, as he teleported away.

I cry for all the lost EXP(or FFTA's equivalents) for not killing off his supports.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9258 on: February 09, 2019, 09:18:54 pm »

Yeah, if this was Battle For Wesnoth or something I'd have restarted.  Fortunately FFTA has repeatable quests, and EXP is per action anyway (so easy to grind).

Though I probably missed out on unique item theft opportunities.  Good thing I'm not doing that!
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9259 on: February 09, 2019, 09:32:26 pm »

I am 2/6ths of the way to earning the title "Master of the Dark Arts", mainly due to a recent breakthrough in understanding how to use this fucker...…

Spoiler: Dark Arts indeed (click to show/hide)

So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9260 on: February 10, 2019, 09:58:08 am »

Finally got a map to generate where I can produce lacquer and lacquerware. Not only that, but the map has huge areas of land available for building, and plenty of viable trade routes - notably almost everyone else buys lacquerware, though I think I found one city that sells raw lacquer. Can't produce my own raw silk, but there's a couple of exporters I can buy the raw silk from and can still build weavers. Food production is actually surprisingly limited; I can only grow millet and rice(and hemp), and there's very limited space for fishing quays. However, I can sell a lot of rice to other cities, and plenty of import options.

EDIT: An Argentaevis-class ship decided to stop by and say hello. These ships are basically drone launchers. It got about 6km from where I'm building my base before sending a Gatling Platform in my direction. The drone zeroed in on me as I was returning from grabbing a lootbox, somehow closing the difference some despite me going the hard-limited speed in this game. I take cover behind an asteroid, into which the drone collided with, apparently "stunning" it. This gave me time to rush out from cover, and ram my grinder into it.

Managed to disable one of the programming blocks before noticing the gun was still active. For some reason, the gun was very slow to track me, so I was able to grind it down past its working state. For a while, it starts dancing about, trying to retreat, and I have to back off because it was starting to get close to its mothership. A little while later, the Argentaevis despawns(dangerously close to my base, but still), and I'm left to loot the remains of the drone which stopped moving.

EDIT2: Hijacked a Mining Carriage after a few attempts. Actually pretty simple piracy, since it only has a single turret. Like all SPRT ships, though, it'll spawn a drone a few km away once you approach. I cut a hole into the side hull and crawl into it, and hack one of the gyroscopes - note: hacking in this game is grinding it down to the point where computer components are supposed to be used and then re-welding it. The drone locks onto the gyroscope, and break cover to hack the Carriage's turret and one of the ship's(for some reason, external) reactors. I also shut off the antenna(which controls drone spawning) while turret cuts the drone in half. After that, it's a matter of cutting open the door to the control seat, then hacking the control seat. Almost ran out of energy until I took over the seat.

Resources are an okay-ish haul, mostly raw ores and ammo. Not sure if I'm going to strip it down entirely, or refurbish it. Refurbishing it could work as a tow/salvage ship, since it comes with several landing gears mounted on the front.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:50:51 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #9261 on: February 13, 2019, 06:42:51 pm »

Got my first win with the aid of 2 random players!

I can recall a particularly tense moment where I exposed myself too much and messed up a few grenade throws and both me (Bangalore) and my teammate (Caustic) were downed, leaving only the third guy (Bloodhunter? The guy with the crow...) left to face on the enemy (Pathfinder... I think. The robot.).

Bloodhunter shot him down, though, and after that, it was almost kind of easy.

I don't really know how to properly utilize Bangalore's smoke bombs... Or her Missiles... Or anything...

But hey, I somehow downed someone who was fool enough to run straight at me, so that's good, I guess?

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9262 on: February 14, 2019, 05:00:39 pm »

FFTA specifically is so easy to grind. Spoilered in case you don't want your game experience damaged by stupid amounts of XP!
Of course, you'll still be blocked by not having the right weapons to start training new skills yet, but farming juicy experience like this is delicious, delicious cheese.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9263 on: February 15, 2019, 11:13:45 am »

And unlike say, FF6, those early levels don't really screw your stat progression if you're careful. The basic classes are nearly on par, like a pure black mage gets nearly (or actually?) the highest magic attack stat.

The exception being speed of course, but speed-maxed ninjas have downsides too.

And the way clan level works, you can just recruit a level 50 of any class anyway! Just takes some time and late game items.
She/they

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9264 on: February 17, 2019, 11:25:09 am »

I may have blown up a few civilians, but I did stop an Alien Port attack at night while using only bought equipment, without losing an aquanaut.
I did have medikits, but my only unit that got wounded was the Coelatoth, so I did not use it.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9265 on: February 17, 2019, 03:04:33 pm »

I may have blown up a few civilians, but I did stop an Alien Port attack at night while using only bought equipment, without losing an aquanaut.
I did have medikits, but my only unit that got wounded was the Coelatoth, so I did not use it.

For everything else that is terrifying in TFTD, the port attacks were at least mercifully not as horrible as they could have been.

Tankers, on the other hand...

And since it's OldCom, dedicated grenade-spammers are incredibly effective early on. Shame you don't get a discount for buying explosives in bulk.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9266 on: February 17, 2019, 04:21:58 pm »

Grenades are indeed quite powerful. The next terror mission was an island attack by deep ones and gill men (I am now 1 autopsy away from researching aqua plastics), and I already had both gauss rifles and sonic pulsers.

The aliens did not stand a chance (though I still blew up some civilians, one of which died from walking on a particle disturbance grenade, which I threw, because I mistook it for a sonic pulser).

But the strange thing is, Sonic pulsers are not just better than regular Magna-blast grenades. They are better than magna-pack explosives as well.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 04:24:06 pm by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9267 on: February 17, 2019, 08:16:07 pm »

A daemon of Khorne demanded a sacrifice of blood. So, the Imperial Guard engaged the Necrons to feed the daemon. While vastly outnumbered, the Guardsmen killed many times their own number. The last kill required was made when a psyker used Strip Soul on a random Necron Warrior.

Everything I just said is incredibly wrong, but that's what happened.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9268 on: February 18, 2019, 01:12:21 am »

I have so many questions.  Starting with, is that the actual plot of the game?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #9269 on: February 18, 2019, 01:21:40 am »

I have so many questions.  Starting with, is that the actual plot of the game?

There's a side mission where you have to appease Khorne in order to gain an ability to do two turns at the campaign map. And yes, it can be done by all of the eight forces, including Loyalist Space Marines and Imperial Guards.

As for the plot, it's basically: there's a planet called Cronus in the Warhammer universe, and these eight forces (from Chaos to Tau) are duking it out for the control of the planet. Lore inconsistencies aside, it's a good game: One of the very few WH40K vidya products that are worth it.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 709