Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089414 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11820 on: October 18, 2015, 02:10:06 pm »

Locking when you were having fun sucks, but I think the most frustrating thing about alerts is that the server basically dies after one ends for a good half hour unless its prime time on a big server. If you come online at a bad time and there's only 10m before the alert ends, you might as well log off.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #11821 on: October 18, 2015, 06:13:36 pm »

Nah, stay on just to get the XP participation bonus. Then log off.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11822 on: October 18, 2015, 09:14:13 pm »

Was also wondering what a good medic rifle would be, and other misc recommendations. (I basically only play NC).
Default rifles are all pretty good, I do like the gauss rifle myself. However, if you're looking for a new gun then the GR-22 and the Carnage AR are the two main options you have. The DMR and A-Tross are for long range engagements or super high skilled players that can headshot things without even thinking (or for people who like the Gauss SAW). NS-11A is an okay gun but the problem is that it isn't good at anything.

As for whether to pick the GR-22 or the Carnage is personal preference depending on your playstyle. Most people will swear by the Carnage, but if you're not as skilled at shooting you might want to try the GR-22. Personally I like the GR-22 out of either choice. Beware that the reload time on it is fairly long, so you have to plan your reloads more than you would using the Carnage.

Another option would be the Gauss Burst. Apparently they buffed all burst weapons a while back, though I havne't gotten to try them myself. If the buffs they applied are still in place then the Gauss Burst is essentially a better SABR (one of my favorite TR guns). If you learn how to control 'oversampling' then you can fire the Gauss Burst at the same speed as the default Gauss Rifle, just with less FSRM (first shot recoil multiplier). To practice this, take out your secondary weapon and shoot, then immediately click and hold until the next shot it fired, then click and hold again, etc. If you have a battle rifle or the high damage pistols then it's easier to practice, and if you have a scout rifle or semi-auto sniper it's easier still. To apply this to burst weapons, the first round of each burst is what matters. Once that first shot goes off you click and hold until the first shot of the next burst goes off.

Misc recommendations for medic: Upgrade your medic tool at least to level 4. Level 5 is obviously the best but the cert cost may be steep in the beginning, plus you get some bonus points for healing people after they get up if memory serves. If you use the self-heal ability then grab some C4, it makes the medic one of the best all-around classes in the game (Medium assault). If you typically play with a lot of other friendlies around you could probably get away with grabbing the shield bubble tool and just rely on other medics to heal you (or lose out of anti-max/vehicle ability and get self-healing kits). You get lots of points for shielding your friends and they will thank you for it.

Ability slot, most people would say get grenade bandoleer for revive grenades. However if you don't like revive grenades you can get ASC (Advanced Shield Capacitor) to recharge your shield a bit quicker (duck out from a firefight you think you may lose), or flak armor to protect from grenade spam. (EDIT: Revive grenades are lighter/get thrown further than normal grenades, so keep that in mind when using them.)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 09:19:22 pm by OzyTheSage »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11823 on: October 18, 2015, 10:43:35 pm »

Nanoweave's also still a viable choice on Medic (unlike HA). It synergizes well with the Nano-Regen Device as NW effectively increases the defensive value of each HP, meaning both that you're less likely to need to pop your heal on during a fight and that the heal is effectively stronger if you do -- running NRD + NW increases your effective total health during a fight in a way that ASC doesn't. If you run ASC you're trading survivability for utility. It also works well if you run Regen Field instead, for much the same reason (albeit in different circumstances); unlike ASC, RF regens your shields even while you're in combat (though of course RF is worse than NRD for anything other than supporting a concerted effort to hold a choke point or building).

But yeah, in terms of weapon the stocks are all decent and Ozy covered most of the pertinent stuff.

If you're on a VS toon, get the H-V45. It's by far the best VS AR; the rest are mostly shit compared to their TR and NC role counterparts (except the Terminus, it's okay), and it's the closest you'll get as VS to Easymodo TR weapons. Get the H-V45 and don't fight at long range, period. The Equinox and Burst are meh, the Pulsar is rubbish, the Corvus is shit, the CME is a joke. If you really need a medium-range AR for your VS Medic, get an NS-11A, it's better than most of the faction options.

If you're on an NC toon, the Gauss Rifle is excellent in skilled hands. The Carnage is great. The GR-22 is "Why aren't you using a SMG?" The DMR is fucking fantastic if you can aim.

If you're on a TR toon, it doesn't matter what you use, just follow the two step guide. 1: Point shooty end at enemy and depress trigger until all rounds are expended. 2: Enjoy effortless kills. Seriously, though. T1 Cycler: Point and hold trigger. TAR: Point and hold trigger. Cycler TRV: Point and hold trigger. SABR: Point and click with those two-round bursts, murder M1 clicking if you get caught in close quarters. TORQ: Point and hold trigger.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11824 on: October 18, 2015, 10:49:05 pm »

In my recent play I've been doing Shield Bubble, max Triage, and scout radar flash for maximum Medic points-whoring. Triage is 100% useless but it's really good for certs if you can find a fight where you can get regular heal ticks (Subterranean Nanite Analysis comes to mind). The XP itself is trash but it rakes in heal ribbons, which are worth a cert each.

When I don't want to heal people I go Advanced Shield Capacitor, AoE heal, and whatever gun I want to work with. (Because healing people blows.)
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11825 on: October 19, 2015, 10:42:39 am »

I tend to plop down the regen field at any ole corner, in some situations it rakes in loads of xp.
I have been running nanoweave with regen field so far, mostly out of misunderstanding about how everything works, but I can certainly afford to cert into other things.

I also sort of didn't realize there's actual skill to shooting stuff in this game, rather than "did you start shooting first? if yes, you win, if no, you're dead" :P Thats probably just because I suck.

Healing tool is currently at level 5 already.

Another question would be, when should I be having my pistol out instead of my rifle?
And are there any good guides on using revive grenades properly?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11826 on: October 19, 2015, 10:49:32 am »

If you're on a VS toon, get the H-V45. It's by far the best VS AR; the rest are mostly shit compared to their TR and NC role counterparts (except the Terminus, it's okay), and it's the closest you'll get as VS to Easymodo TR weapons. Get the H-V45 and don't fight at long range, period.
Thr H-V45 is like a medic version of the excellent gun the engineer gets in VS. I don't remember what that one was called but it acts more or less the same.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11827 on: October 19, 2015, 01:02:34 pm »

By the way, when you say "gauss rifle", which gauss rifle do you mean? :P

For some strange reason I already own the GR-22.

E:
also, fuck flying reavers.
i spawned 2 reavers and both got shot down without me ever seeing an enemy airplane. wow, so fun. great investment of 700 nanites >.>

E2:
I should probably look for an outfit instead of hopping in random squads and hoping for the best, but i dont know how im supposed to do that :v
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 02:07:12 pm by miauw62 »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11828 on: October 19, 2015, 02:36:03 pm »

Another question would be, when should I be having my pistol out instead of my rifle?
And are there any good guides on using revive grenades properly?

You never typically use your pistol when your rifle is available. It's mostly used for situations where you're out of ammo but still have things to shoot, and reloading would take too long.
As for res nades, use them whenever you want. If reviving someone takes too long/is too risky, or when they're out of reach, or when there's a lot of dead people and not a lot of time to get them back on their feet.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11829 on: October 19, 2015, 03:22:14 pm »

Especially in biolabs. Just chuck the thing towards the sound of the fighting, you'll hit at least one dead guy.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11830 on: October 19, 2015, 03:58:48 pm »

I did end up using them effectively in a particular fight. Five minutes until the indar alert ended and everybody from the TR and NC was in a single facility, the only one that could still be flipped and the one that would decide the alert. I got like ten revives, holy shit. They were all promptly mown down by a MAX, naturally, but everybody knows that team games are really just about personal gain.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11831 on: October 19, 2015, 07:31:44 pm »

There's only 2 times. 1 is when you're out of ammo and don't have time to reload, and 2 is when you're a bolt action sniper.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11832 on: October 19, 2015, 08:48:49 pm »

Or when you're a stalker cloaking jerk, but that's pretty much a given since it's your only choice aside from knives and grenades.
If you mainly bring a shotgun (which I still despise their existence in this game) and an NS pistol as your sidearm you can use the NS pistol as your long range handcannon.
By the way, when you say "gauss rifle", which gauss rifle do you mean? :P
I mean the "NC1 Gauss Rifle". It's the default one, not to bee confused with poorly named "Gauss Rifle Burst" or "Gauss Rifle S".
As a side note I have every NC Assault Rifle auraxium'd except for the Gauss Prime...
i spawned 2 reavers and both got shot down without me ever seeing an enemy airplane. wow, so fun. great investment of 700 nanites >.>
Don't worry, your 700 nanites will regenerate in... pfff, 2 minutes. Resource revamp needs to come sooner rather than later, tanks have to matter more as individual units and not as huge zerg columns (but I have no idea how they'd do that) and ESFs should not be anti-infantry farming units. So much stuff needs to be changed, but it's only a matter of what their priorities are and if they can make changes without breaking something somewhere.
I should probably look for an outfit instead of hopping in random squads and hoping for the best, but i dont know how im supposed to do that :v
Whenever you log in and look at the squad screen take note of what squads have clan tags next to them and remember the clan tags of those who you enjoyed playing with. If you can consistently have fun with the same group of people then you know you have found your outfit.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11833 on: October 19, 2015, 09:04:02 pm »

Whenever you log in and look at the squad screen take note of what squads have clan tags next to them and remember the clan tags of those who you enjoyed playing with. If you can consistently have fun with the same group of people then you know you have found your outfit.

This.  This deserves repeating.  I did that myself long long ago and never regretted it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11834 on: October 19, 2015, 11:16:50 pm »

I just played for the first time today in a long time... and wow, despite all the crap people like me give it it's still damn fun when you've got the right group going. Too bad I don't have much time to play these days.
Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 826