Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 109

Author Topic: Mission 12: The Defense of Hephaestus: Don't taunt the dice.  (Read 212158 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 12: The Defense of Hephaestus: Don't taunt the dice.
« Reply #780 on: March 27, 2014, 11:28:34 am »

Anton Chernozorov, temporarily performing actual engineer duties

Oversee the overhauling of the Southern Cross. Get the two missiles from the Party Wagon installed on it if they weren't already. Brainstorm potential solutions to making it more of a "rapid" response vehicle. Adding more engines on it is unlikely, but is there anything we could strip from it to lighten it without making it flimsier?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 27, 2014, 11:28:41 am »

Team G

A translation error.

Everyone, activate lamps and go for the other side that's opened. We need to get out of here now.

Drag out everyone who's still sleeping. Make them suit up. Follow everyone after they get out and turn on lamps.

((Does Renen have a lights amp or night cam? I really think not.))
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #782 on: March 27, 2014, 01:54:27 pm »

TEAM AHHHHH

Team A - Ship Alpha- Large Corridor | Flint Westwood - Soldier

EDIT: I thought whatever made the noise was very close. However Kriellya in his action acts like it's a safe distance away. If I'm wrong and it's not dangerously close and it's not approaching dangerously fast, ignore the below and just comply with Skylar's action, with the addition of me taking point and asking Steve what the other teams are doing.

"Oh, shi-"

Activate bullet time, turn around, grab Skylar, push him down so that he presents a smaller target and I can see what's behind him. Identify the source of the sound while jumping away, preferably to cover. If no cover is available, just get down on the ground and try to make myself and Skylar as small as possible.

Conditional actions based on identification of object (shooting can happen while I'm jumping away, if I have identified the origin of the sound. Shootdodging, basically):
If it is nothing important, get up and start moving towards the bridge, trying to forget this embarrassing incident. Check corners with spoons and have HEP ready to fire. Ask Steve what's going on with the other teams on this ship.
If it is a grenade, try to shoot the floor in front of it so that it falls inside the hole and its blast is hopefully minimized. Duck and cover. Be ready to defend myself after the explosion happens.
If it is a sod or other form of security measure (e.g. robot), shoot to kill/destroy.
If it is an armed crewmember, shoot to disable (hit weapon wielding arm and/or weapon). If succesful, approach quickly and relieve him of any weapons and communication equipment.
If it is an unarmed crewmember, point my gun at him and tell him not to move. Get up, still pointing my gun at him and attempt to restrain him (with my rope) and relieve him of any communication equipment.
If it is none of the above or a variation or combination of the above that isn't adequately covered by the above actions, pause and await new action if possible.

You take point.
>Pretty much the same thing you are.

Team A | Ship Alpha -- Skylar | Support

Shit... vehicle?

Get low. If there is some cover in the direction of the bridge, get into it.

If the bridge is in the same direction as the other team, get ready to move quietly that way. Otherwise, stay in cover or low against a wall and get ready to attack whatever is coming this way.

((Wait, I'm confused. Is Thaddeus injured?))
When I was doing the last turn, the wiki said he was, but I think it was incorrect. So just assume you're fine.

(( Apologies for that, I will more clearly label any snarky status updates next time ))
You stay in the cover provided by the hall that ajoins to the main thoroughfare and peek out. The source of the noise rounds a corner a few dozen feet away  and turns onto the main hall, coming your way. The source of the noise is a small, electric cart, a flat bed thing with two seats upfront occupied by men in space suits. They're not the right size or shape for Sods and their suits are bright orange. The flatbed of the cart has a large metal tool chest on it along with some loose tools. They're driving in your direction, but don't appear to have noticed you.

TEAM BEEEEEEES

Team B "Wild Weasels"

Each pod has multiple door opening systems. The unused ones should still be functional, if only for a single shot. And it will be cheaper to replace the lenses and batteries than buy a new cutting laser.
Salvage all the pod's cutting lasers.
Alright, but you're gonna get negatives for using them, since they're gonna be quite awkward to hold and fire.

Team B: Wild Weasels

"Xan, you're even creepier than before. Just don't make any little versions of yourself. I don't want this to turn into a repeat of the biohorror expedition. Hrmm. I wonder how many bulkheads are between us and the control room. I mean, a straight line is the fastest way there right?"

Continue down the corridor, looking for anything that might help us identify where we are. Peek through any doors I find along the way.

((No, I didn't expect to be able to move it, I just wanted to make sure. I was hoping to maybe shove the plug back in, and hope they think we're still inside.))

You walk down the corridor a bit and find a door. It leads out into a larger hall that has several painted lines running along the floor but no visible signs. There's a red line, a green line and a blue line. Hmm. Still no sign of the ship's crew. It seems like this entire area is depressurized though.

Team B - Close Enough :D

Clamber out of the pod and head down the corridor in the direction Morul's going, ready to chop.

*mandibles clacking*
Are you now Mantis dad? 

*Explicative chirping about the octo-dad reference*

You follow morul, flexing your claws over his shoulders in a rather disconcerting way.

Team B 'Wild Weasels' - Simus the Recently-Repaired

Simus gets up from her position in the pod, and retrieves her Phase suit and other gear from the onboard storage, putting it all on quickly. She then clambers out after Xan, dropping only a little less heavily to the floor.

As I was saying before my voicebox fuzzed out entirely, Morul will be my second-in-command for this operation. Now, does anyone know what ship we're on or where we are in it?

You grab your gear and get dressed before following Xan out the hole and over to Morul.

TEAM SEASALT AND VINEGAR

TEAM C: Audaxes: Thomas

"Bridge is that way. We're safe for now, they didn't have any sort of protection from space. Ears open though. Follow me, about 10 paces back. Auron, you're armored, can you take second? Also, does anyone want a gauss rifle? My rifle works well enough."

Thomas points down the hall, then heads down it,. As soon as he locates another area with atmosphere, he goes silent, drops down, and motions the rest of the team to do so.

You follow the signs, past several more bodies, before reaching a sealed bulkhead door. There are emergency lights flashing around it and the control panel next to it is blinking a "DANGER LIFE SUPPORT FAILURE" message. Seems like the ship automatically sealed off the depressurized areas.

Auron, team C.

check the body for anything useful like keycards or sidearms, follow the bridge line and keep an eye out for any active terminals i could hack into.

One of the bodies you pass has a maintenance keycard on them. You lift it from the body and continue to follow Thomas until he runs up against the sealed door. You're not sure if the control panel next to it is connected to the entire ship or just the door, but it's worth looking at.

Denzel Gaunt- Team C, Audax

Move up with my team, Keeping a cameye out for enemies. Charge an uncon bonus.
Charged Uncon, ready to murder corpses, should they pose a problem.

TEAM DERP

Thaddeus-Team "Dead Dirtbags"-Grunt

((Works for me))

Get out of the pod and put on my gear. Put Saints and Jacks pods into suspend mode. Borrow Saints Sub-exoskeleton Model C "Hope", his emergency kit, and Jacks laser rifle, extra battery and pain killer. Grab onto something sturdy for when Milno decides which wall to open up.

So boss, this sucks doesnt it? Any thoughts on any of this?

((@ Alarith and Syvarris, I promise I will give you guys back your equipment and refill anything if I use it))

You put your teammates in nappy mode and then steal their stuff. Standard ARM Protocol. You grab hold of a railing for when milno cracks this baby open.

Team D, "Dead Dirtbags" - Milno - Leader

So boss, this sucks doesnt it? Any thoughts on any of this?

"Get used to it."

After Thaddeus is geared: Milno tries the left wall, stepping to the side to wait to check for the results and the area outside with a mirror. In case the left wall was an obviously bad choice, try up.

As soon as contact with Steve is reestablished, ask the following:
"Any nasty traps or surprises I should be aware of in case I want to advance at full speed? Monorazor wire nets and lasers from the walls, anything as deadly as a defense system? Had to ask."

In case there are no obvious signs or marks indicating the way to the bridge, also ask Steve about it and in case Steve confirms there are no exquisitely crafted deathtraps around the ship, see if it is possible to move forward using the following system: a) hold fancy shield in front of Milno, b) carry Thaddeus along, c) use a bit of a moderate rocket dash and inertia to fly almost to the other end of the corridor, d) then land and use the mirror to check around the corner for hostile movement, e) move to the next hallway towards the bridge and f) repeat.

In case Milno's too weakened for that, he just advances a bit faster than Thaddeus with buzz mode and the shield in place, checks around the corners with a mirror and repeats the process.

If there are signs of possible imminent combat or if combat suddenly breaks out, activate EMM.

((@renegadelobster: In case Saint's exo happens to be a bit too heavy, you may want to leave it behind so Milno can carry Thaddeus around without trouble. In case Milno's unable to perform that method of moving forward, then I guess Thaddeus will need Saint's exo since he'll be doing a fair bit of running.))

The left wall leads out into what appears to be the remnants of a ventilation system. The room your in is small, maybe 8 feet on each side, with a shaft taking up most of the floor and ceiling. The shaft on the floor is covered by a grate, while the ceiling features a broken fan that is still trying to turn, repeatedly bouncing its damaged blades off part of the shell. There are several smaller ducts leading away from this chamber, each only just big enough to crawl through on your stomach, and even then it would be tight.

>You're on the Ship we've designated Alpha. And you're only about 20 meters away from Team A, at least horizontally. You're about 100 meters away vertically. And no you shouldn't have to worry about anything beyond automated turrets at certain intersections.

And The rest of the post seems like it might need reconsideration what with your current location, so I'll let you do that.

TEAM EYYYYYYYYY

Team E(xpendable)/Magilla
If my lower body is attached now, try to get used to it. Afterwards, grab my gear and put on everything I need.
Half man, half gorilla, half machine. All geared up and ready to get bananas.

Team E / Lerman Russ

Prepare to move out. 'Borrow' any weapons belonging to incapacitated people. If possible, join up with the main attacking force.

Ready steady go spaghetti. I've been inhaling too many fumes.

Team E

Try a different solid sounding wall. Keep trying walls until we get a suitable entrance that we can enter.

You eventually find a wall that leads out through he ceiling of a small room and into some sort of mechanical system; a shell loading system, judging by the Volkswagen bug sized shells sitting idle in it's conveyors and mechanical limbs.

>Welcome to the ship we'll call Epsilon. You're all alone here, but the ship isn't very big so you should be fine. There cockpit should be somewhere near the center, but you're quite far to the rear.

TEAM FFFFFFFFFFFF

Brother Lars, Team F Chaplain "Defenders of the Faith"

Smiling at Grate, Lars motions the team outward.  "Come, Brother Grate!  We shall sing the praises of Steve all the way to the helm of the ship!"

"Most Glorious Lord Steve, we have arrived all in one piece!  We praise you for your blessings and protection!"

Sing praises of Steve.  Head down the corridor, looking for signs leading to the bridge.
Team D, apparently F, I was right: Grate

Follow Lars. Sing along with Mr. Lars. Silently wonder why we're singing, but decide that he knows what he's doing.
Team F

Ready bolt action rifle while covering Lars.

Team F walks down the hall, straight up thugg'n and not giving a shit.
Near where they come out is an intersection with signs pointing off in various directions, but the important one is a green one with "BRIDGE" written on it and a nice, matching green line pointing them in the right direction. Unfortunately, that line leads directly to a sealed bulkhead that appears to have been damaged and is sealed more via the mechanism of mechanical failure then anything else.

TEAM G

TEAM G
"Everybody MOVE! we have to get away from here quickly"

drag people out if necessary get moving towards command room, check corners before moving round

Team G

A translation error.

Everyone, activate lamps and go for the other side that's opened. We need to get out of here now.

Drag out everyone who's still sleeping. Make them suit up. Follow everyone after they get out and turn on lamps.

((Does Renen have a lights amp or night cam? I really think not.))
The concious members of team G grab the less concious members and drag them out the opposite opening to the reactor and out into the darkened room. They run blindly until bumping into a wall at the other end. Huh. Renen activates the light amps in his robotic eyes and finds the door. A painted sign above the door reads "Access hall".

TEAM HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUH

(I'll be taking over Sean's/Anton's sod team until either he can do it again or Swordsmith can do it.))

Boarding Team "Kappa" (H),  temporary mission control - Miyamoto

All sods take position around the only exit. Grenadier 1 opens the door, others stay ready to shoot if something comes out. If no hostiles on other side, support sod uses scout drone and checks ahead, while commander sod checks in with Steve to ask what ship they're on and the general direction of the bridge.

((Say PW, did the sods get Mk.I or Mk.II suits for this boarding action?))
Whatever they were originally. SO I think mkI's?

No enemies seen.
Signs in the hall indicate the bridge is toward the right, down a hall.
>You're on ship Alpha, but are a good distance from the other teams.

IT'S NOT A TEAM! WRONG WRONG WRONG!

Anton Chernozorov, temporarily performing actual engineer duties

Oversee the overhauling of the Southern Cross. Get the two missiles from the Party Wagon installed on it if they weren't already. Brainstorm potential solutions to making it more of a "rapid" response vehicle. Adding more engines on it is unlikely, but is there anything we could strip from it to lighten it without making it flimsier?
Well, you could make it more rapid response by having it already flying, ready to go at any time. But that would been stripping armor to hold more fuel, same as it would be for more engines. Then again, armor doesn't mean much against a larger ship that could put a laser straight through you regardless.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 27, 2014, 02:13:14 pm »

"...Does anyone have a bomb or a space magic thingy or something?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 27, 2014, 02:16:28 pm »

((By process of elimination, I'm assuming we're in Ship Beta.))

Lars looks at the wall, then turns to Grate as he speaks up.  "I have a bomb, but it is a nuclear device of unknown yield.  I think it might be a bit much for a door."

He looks behind them.  "Brothers Jack and Dominika?  We can attempt to force the door if it can't be removed."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #785 on: March 27, 2014, 02:18:57 pm »

Team A - Ship Alpha | Flint Westwood - Soldier

"Hmmm... I think we just got ourselves a ride." said Flint with a malicious grin. Not that anybody could see it with his faceplate down. "What do you say Skylar, ready for some grand theft auto?"

I'm assuming there's atmosphere here, since we could hear them approach. If there isn't any atmosphere here, my and Kriellya's action may need some rethinking.

If I have enough time and my MK2 could pass for one of their suits, use one of those cans of spraypaint I got from the Anomalous Planetoid mission to quickly paint my suit orange and then wave at the men to stop.

If I don't have enough time to paint it but my suit could still pass for one of their suits, try to wave at the men to get them to stop. (Guns hidden, of course.)

If the above fails or if my suit can't pass for one of their suits, use guns and yelling "Stop right there!" "Stop or we will fire!" and similar to get them to stop.

If the above fails and the vehicle isn't going too fast for me to do this, try to jump on it and and force the driver to stop or throw him out of the vehicle.

If the above fails or is not possible, shoot (with the laser rifle) to intimidate. If that fails, shoot to disable and not kill if possible. Try not to damage the vehicle.

((So the HEP looks like a radar gun and I'm yelling at them to stop... If the circumstances were slightly different I could pose as a cop. "Stop in the name of the law! Ma'am, do you have any idea how fast you were going?"

EDIT: If we're lucky and our suits do match, we could pose as workmen and make our way to the bridge without having to kill anybody... Assuming we pass all our charisma/speech checks. And assuming those guys have the right credentials.))
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 06:10:26 am by Parisbre56 »

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 27, 2014, 02:20:04 pm »

((By process of elimination, I'm assuming we're in Ship Beta.))

Lars looks at the wall, then turns to Grate as he speaks up.  "I have a bomb, but it is a nuclear device of unknown yield.  I think it might be a bit much for a door."

He looks behind them.  "Brothers Jack and Dominika?  We can attempt to force the door if it can't be removed."

Team F

"Why not remove one of the working laser cutters and drag it over to the door?"

Follow any orders given.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:38:57 pm by Tavik Toth »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 27, 2014, 02:32:17 pm »

Brother Lars: Team F Chaplain

Lars grinned.  "Truly Cog-azaon has blessed you with foresight!  We shall do that!"

Go back and get another laser cutter, and use that to cut a hole in the door.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 27, 2014, 02:33:42 pm »

Ship Beta?: Feam F: Grate: Now with an action!

Grate nods. He didn't want to break the ship, or clear it alone, or discover that he wouldn't come back from being nuked, or anything like that.

"Why not remove one of the working laser cutters and drag it over to the door?"
"I could get that!"

Help with the removal and transport, as well as any needed configuration and activation, of the cutting laser.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:47:02 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 27, 2014, 02:35:19 pm »

((Both of you forgot team names for actions))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 27, 2014, 02:39:32 pm »

Team B "Wild Weasels"

How many working laser cutters do I have?
Catch up with the rest of the team and follow Xan.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:46:00 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 27, 2014, 02:47:18 pm »

((Both of you forgot team names for actions))
((What are you talking about?))
Sig

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 27, 2014, 03:22:28 pm »

Team B: Wild Weasels

"Which way, which way... Hrmm. At least with the area depressurized we won't run into many crewmen. Well, living ones. Three lines, four of us. Perhaps we could split up, and each follow a line, at least until we get to a sign. Then we can just backtrack to each other."
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 27, 2014, 03:57:49 pm »

Team A - Ship Alpha || Skylar - Support

"Hmmm... I think we just got ourselves a ride." said Flint with a malicious grin. Not that anybody could see it with his faceplate down. "What do you say Skylar, ready for some grand theft auto?"

Sounds like a plan. Just take them or pose as security? I don't think a MK III is something they just issue to normal crew, but the MK II should look close enough.

Stay low and in cover, wait for Flint to act. Get out a suit-to-suit connector while they approach.

If things seem to be going south, be ready to activate EMM and punch them out and aim to get their suit helmet off, especially if they start to radio us in.

(( Yeah, speech checks sound like a fantastic idea :P Though you do have some bonus's so it could be a workable plan. I just need to never say anything. ))
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:22:48 pm by Kriellya »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 27, 2014, 04:11:24 pm »

Team D, "Dead Dirtbags" - Milno - Leader

"Which general direction to the bridge?"

Ask Steve about which direction to take to the bridge.

Take a look at what can be seen beyond the broken fan and the grate. Cancel grate examination if the broken fan shows some kind of viable path into the ship proper. If a path to the ship's hallways is found, take it and fly Thaddeus along if needed.

In case the way into the ship's hallways is found, proceed as follows:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:35:30 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 109