Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 82812 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #780 on: March 07, 2020, 08:11:19 am »

As in, never release in ebook form, or no longer available?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 07, 2020, 08:46:40 am »

As in available from my usual sources 😜. It IS in print

My usual sources did have a newer 2014 version. Which I'm presuming will be better based on that it's a collaboration between a Chinese Chinese literature faculty member, and an American literature faculty member. 
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 07, 2020, 01:40:21 pm »

As in available from my usual sources 😜. It IS in print

My usual sources did have a newer 2014 version. Which I'm presuming will be better based on that it's a collaboration between a Chinese Chinese literature faculty member, and an American literature faculty member.
I have the first volume of the Yang Suwei translation and the full set of Moss Robert's (the 80's one you mentioned) and I don't remember having any problems. Honestly either Moss Robert's or it are good. Just don't read the Brewitt version, that thing is full of spelling/complete sentence errors and also lacks any sort of footnotes to explain what the hell is going on.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 07, 2020, 02:21:26 pm »

Ok, I have the yang suwei in the backburner 👍👍

Edit: I've been reading this for the last couple of days and it's far smoother a read than I expected. The pace and tone are a bit odd, but so far I'm liking it well enough.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 07:52:23 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 24, 2020, 10:29:10 pm »

Brave New World.
Certainly a book well deserving of its status.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 24, 2020, 11:27:14 pm »

Back up to... 5 books?

Continuing Shogun,
Reading The Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaymes (really recommend, well-written and fascinating, if not totally convincing.)
Restarted The Vertical Plane, since I didn't get far into it. Again, interesting but unconvincing.
City Under the Sands - Mariotte, a Dark Sun novel that's well-digestible.
The Worm Ouroboros - a favorite from some years ago. Only listened to it, haven't read it before.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 10, 2020, 02:41:51 am »

I'm reading The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. Phwoar, it's a bloody good book - possibly my new favourite of his, even.   

So good. I kind of wish I had someone to discuss it with in more detail. You know how, when one watches a movie or show with friends, depending on the company one will sometimes bounce their theories as to how things will progress off one another? Like, you'll have an "aha" moment, realising what a character is up to or what's about to happen, and share it with the others - sometimes being entirely wrong?   
Obviously, I imagine this is something you'd only do in the right company, where it's not annoying anyone.   
I'm not sure how that sort of thing would be possible with books. Everyone somehow reading at the same rate? Stopping at pre-determined points in the story to check in and trade notes? Sounds like it would get very frustrating if the book gripped one participant more than the other(s).     

What I'm getting at is, I think I'm going to post some more-spoilery discussion of the book below, just to... get my ideas of what's to come recorded in writing, rather than just shouting them excitedly into the void (I'm pretty sure I've done that before, when watching something alone, come to think of it).
Please, don't read this spoiler if you haven't read The Chrysalids - go read the damn book instead.   

Ah, it's good to have gotten that out of my head. I've actually been meaning to post this for a couple of days, with my reading having slowed down a great deal in the meantime. The second theory only just occurred to me today, though, since I read about 25 pages further.     

Oh yeah, I finished Brave New World a while back as well - that was great, obviously. I only wish it were longer.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 10, 2020, 01:46:25 pm »

-

Please do tell us how you feel about the ending, once you get there. After reading your post, I want to know.

Would you say you're identifying with the Fringe folk at all at the moment?
One wheel short of a wagon

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 10, 2020, 01:53:57 pm »

-

Please do tell us how you feel about the ending, once you get there. After reading your post, I want to know.

Would you say you're identifying with the Fringe folk at all at the moment?

I've heard of Fringe, would you recommend it

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 12, 2020, 07:28:44 pm »

The Sorrows Of Young Werther.
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 13, 2020, 02:24:38 am »

Been reading Credo by Melvyn Bragg, but I've been getting kinda worried that the whole thing is just an over-long, waffling, self-righteous religious tract. I mean, fair enough to some degree, it is a book about a couple of medieval Jesus freaks looking down their noses at the "heathen hordes", but the author lays it on thick enough that it's hard to tell where the beliefs of the characters end and those of the author begin. 
Funnily enough, this book is actually making me root for the saxons, for goodness' sake. Something's gotta be wrong here, right?!   

I looked it up and apparently he is some sort of Christian himself, which I'd been getting a sinking feeling was the case.   
A fair few of the Goodreads reviews seem to support this impression. Not sure if I can bring myself to finish it, since the idea of dark ages Christian subjugation is unpleasant enough when it isn't couched in, to quote one of the reviews I looked at, "...more waffle than a Belgian pastry fair".   

Might dig out and re-read something involving vikings and Norse gods, instead.   

I also started reading Blood's A Rover by James Ellroy, but it takes a bit of effort to get into - which may be due to the fact that it's actually third in a trilogy, apparently. The weird, detached chapter(s) introducing the characters near the start may have been just getting folks up to speed on the events of the previous books.   
I hadn't actually thought of that 'til now, but it makes a lot of sense. Huh. I was wondering what was going on.   
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 02:26:39 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 13, 2020, 06:26:26 am »

Currently on the 10th book of the Dresden Files. Holy shit has it been fun digging into an actual series. Seeing the writing evolve and improve drastically from the first book is a real treat.

Once I catch up to the current book, I'll probably check out Assassin's Apprentice.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 13, 2020, 08:59:55 am »

The Saga of Billy the Kid
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 13, 2020, 04:54:34 pm »

I’m reading a book called “Thy Neighbour’s Wife”. It’s a non-fiction piece by formerly-famous Gay Talese, the alleged founder of literary journalism. Dude was a big deal in his time, but now he’s retired and forgotten.

As for the book itself, it’s a chronicle of the sexual revolution of the 60s. That time when America finally broke free from Victorian Era prudishness and pivoted to the opposite extreme instead. It was short-lived, (AIDS kind of put a damper on that whole thing), but our modern hook-up culture has its roots in that period.

The way it covers that topic is rather interesting. Rather than tell some grand chronological narrative about the country like a Wikipedia article or history textbook (or Sapiens), it instead focuses on the lives of individual historical figures (and a few insignificant normal people too). The contributions they made, the struggles they went through, some of their most intimate and personal thoughts (a lot of these people were actually interviewed by the author). The result is a book that takes a while to get to its point, but also has an unusual amount of humanity in it. The people described aren’t just historical figures, they’re characters, with their own motivations and goals, and who even undergo character development sometimes. It puts the story in history.

Naturally, it’s likely that some embellishments and artistic license was used (like any good memoir really). This book is clearly trying to be entertainment, but even so there’s a lot fascinating stuff in it that I’m sure is real. Things like the IRL monster Anthony Comstuck was and the evil legislation he pushed, as well as the ways vendors of naughty material had to secretly distribute their product back when it was illegal, to even the banning of many books that are now considered classics. The book portrays old America as this repressive, totalitarian, regime that was also intensely hypocritical up until the socks finally come off. No sex before marriage, but oral and “petting” was okay? Yeah right.

To sum it up I recommend it, I’ve never seen a discussion of human sexuality as thoughtful as this one, but I have a couple of warnings. The first is that the book seems to have a slight anti-religious bias that may put some people off. The second is that the intimate, character-focused approach also applies to the way the book talks about sex. It helps with the humanity I was talking about, but it’s also weirdly voyeuristic. Like I’m peeking behind those metaphorical closed curtains, or maybe even being let in. Serves me right for buying a book about filth written in the filthiest time in American history I guess.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 13, 2020, 09:02:31 pm »

Started going into Who Censored Roger Rabbit by Gary K. Wolf. I had no idea the movie was based on a book. Very interesting world building and plot devices so far.

Toons in the book speak in bubbles which are physical objects in the world, allowing a crime to be followed up by literally seeing a victim's last words.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 58