Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845646 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Arthropoid Martial Arts!
« Reply #5235 on: May 22, 2018, 12:35:29 pm »

Class:Barbarian 3(Berserker)
Race:Giant Kea
Str:24
Dex:12
Con:24
Int:3
Wis:16
Cha:14

Also, Giant Elephants.

And, speaking once more of centowers, each centaur would have to hold the weight of every centaur above it, so infinite towers are impossible, without infinite carrying capacity.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: May 22, 2018, 12:50:41 pm »

And, speaking once more of centowers, each centaur would have to hold the weight of every centaur above it, so infinite towers are impossible, without infinite carrying capacity.
Realistically, sure, but unless that's a new addition I don't think that there's such a mechanic in the books themselves. It's just a matter of size.

Then again, Highest version number I ever played was 3.5, so I'm probably not the best metric for determining what is and isn't part of the rules.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: May 24, 2018, 07:22:16 pm »

In my endless, ADHD-driven pursuit of seeking out new & novel things, I'm giving Genesys a go.

There's some complications that come when you want to play it online though, at least if your go-to platform for playing RPGs is Roll20+Discord like it is for me and my friends.
For one, there is only one character sheet option on Roll20, and not only is it in my opinion rather ugly and clunky (never been a fan of tab-hell 'sheets, and would've preferred one that more closely emulated the official sheet look), due to Genesys' Narrative Dice mechanic replacing your standard rolls, you need a Pro subscription in order to actually fully utilize the sheet. Or shell out cash for the real dice, or the Android/iOS app. None of which are appealing options to me.

On top of that, due to the combat range rules being abstracted to "range bands" rather than calling for exact distances, there is a lower-than-average need to play the game with maps, and it lends itself better to "theater of the mind" play, which is something I have been interested in doing for a while. (As drawing maps in addition to all the other GM work is hugely taxing.)
So yeah, the "pure Discord+some bots" method is what I will try going with.

I have also gotten a streak of inspiration for my campaign's plot-line which is pretty helpful.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: May 28, 2018, 01:37:20 am »

I've got so much notes to relate, wow, maybe soon but we're meeting again tomorrow (last met Wednesday, scheduling).

Just got to share that our paladin finally agreed not to kill a certain orc noncombatant in exchange for a greater treasure share, a magical weapon.  A... spear maybe?
The sorcerer gets his prostitute hireling, the paladin gets his weapon to strike more evil (apparently this is how paladin codes work now (vengeance, I think)), and my dorf fighter just keeps taking copious notes on the fucked up behaviors of lesser races.

Edit:  I still can't believe that freakin yeti have gaze attacks
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:41:26 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: May 29, 2018, 09:23:01 pm »

Last battle of the session was *really* close to a TPK.  I think it's fair to say everyone made some mistakes, largely because it was getting late IRL.  While my dwarf fighter was filling waterskins, the other two rushed a room with a couple troglodytes... which turned out to be a *lot* of troglodytes, a nest even, with a sorcerer chieftain.

To make a rather long fight short, it's very fortunate that they managed to stabilize themselves.  Also my class (arcane fighter with the Shield spell, and some scribed scrolls of burning hands) was well suited to the situation.  Retreating into a tunnel so I didn't get swarmed: also helped.

My familiar Mr Stones helped set up a couple of flanks when I rushed in, but went down fast.  1HP, as far as we can tell (technically 8 due to our caster's Inspiring Speech, but still).  Still may have turned the tide.  Mr Stones is dead, long live Mr Spices!

But here's the actually cool part:  The chieftain had a pet.  Now, I'd like to say I intentionally did nonlethal to the pet, but that's not quite true.  I did that in the past, to a ogre's pet dog, and the cur critted my ass off and gave me a "werewolf" phobia.  So I was *trying* to murder this pet, but I rolled a critfail (3 critfails that battle, even).  We use a deck of critfail cards, and in this case the effect was that I do nonlethal damage for 3 rounds.

So after cutting down the lesser trogs, I advanced towards the chieftain over the unconscious body of his pet snek.  I thought he was out of spells, but the DM later revealed OOC that he still had burning hands - but I was accidentally holding his pet hostage.  Wounded and spent though I was, I clearly would win the melee...  So he drew a dagger and held it to our sorcerer's neck.

Now, I was deaf due to a separate critfail, but this was a clear message.  I was actually quite delighted, OOC, and my character was willing to play along.  I threw my weapon aside (nevermind that I could summon it to my hand as a bonus action - a fallback plan) and shoved the snek toward the chieftain.  Watching me suspiciously, he gathered up his snek and gestured to the door.  It took all my 18 strength, but I managed to drag my party members away to safety.

Idunno, I guess I like Tarantino-style standoffs, especially if they deescalate.
Our paladin of vengeance ran back to retrieve his dropped weapon (and kill the chief) as soon as he woke up, but that's fair.  The chief managed to dimension door away anyway.  We are mapping out this infested mountainhome for dwarven resettlement, so if he's smart he'll leave and not return.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:26:09 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: May 29, 2018, 09:25:17 pm »

Kraken Dice cracked 1 million on their kickstarter with only half an hour left! I'm gonna enjoy the fuck out of these dice when they arrive months from now goddamn it I need it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: May 30, 2018, 02:10:57 am »

Kraken Dice cracked 1 million on their kickstarter with only half an hour left! I'm gonna enjoy the fuck out of these dice when they arrive months from now goddamn it I need it.

One of my friends backed that, they look real good
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: May 30, 2018, 01:35:21 pm »

Disguise Self will be the death of my kobold bard. I've used it twice now. Both times, I forgot to disguise my voice. I'm beginning to take less of a passive roll, however, so that's good. I just don't want to devolve into comedic relief non-human mascot.

In non-D&D news, I'm reviewing an ancient system straight out of Norway over on RPG Geek. The more I review, the more I realize that some things should just stay in the past.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: May 30, 2018, 04:58:31 pm »

Are you Norwegian, Mephisto?
Love, scriver~

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: May 30, 2018, 05:39:46 pm »

Not I. The game devs are Norwegian, a London company published their work, the book found its way to my coworker in Texas back in the 80s, and now it's in my possession here in Indiana. The book is more well traveled than I am.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: May 31, 2018, 12:43:39 am »

In non-D&D news, I'm reviewing an ancient system straight out of Norway over on RPG Geek. The more I review, the more I realize that some things should just stay in the past.
I have a feeling I know which system you're talking about. Is it the one where you, ahem, direct movies?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: May 31, 2018, 03:58:54 am »

Is it the one where you, ahem, direct movies?

Nope. It's MEGA. Nothing too unsavory, it's just not a good system.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: May 31, 2018, 08:58:01 pm »

after a few months, I finally helped my players with their character sheets
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: June 01, 2018, 02:59:50 am »

after a few months, I finally helped my players with their character sheets
Time to go All Guardsmen Squad on them, then!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: June 02, 2018, 03:12:45 pm »

So instead of fighting the dragon, my party decided to conduct some very foolish negotiations that turned into successful negotiations after a round of poison breath. Now, it only worked because this dragon was a teenager and thus vain even by dragon standards, but we got proof that we really were inside the mountainhome for the low price of promising to make and perform songs detailing said dragon's "conquest" (opportunistic squatting).

So next time we just have to convince the dwarfs that there is actually a fucking dragon inside their mountain on top of everything else, and hope they'll help us kill it. Or else actually become the heralds of an edgy teenage green dragon. Pretty sure she can't even fly yet. One week to come up with something before she comes after us.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 623