Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845440 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5625 on: August 29, 2018, 08:09:26 am »

turnips
I love this.
I don't know why, but since the very first time I read the word "cantrip", my mind has always tried to read or interpret it as "turnip"... Which makes no sense beyond just ending in '-ip', especially since Neverwinter Nights doesn't even have turnips in it.

The first time writing it out here was more of a brain fart than anything, but when getting ready to correct it I decided "Nah, this works" and just went with it. I like it this way.

Initially yes, but tome pact also opens up an Invocation that lets the warlock add spells above cantrip level (spell level up to half their warlock level) from any spell list to their tome, so long as the spell has the Ritual tag.  They can only cast those spells as rituals though (doesn't use up a spell slot, adds 10 minutes to the cast time).
Yeah, rituals invocation looked interesting, even without knowing how rituals worked... But having rituals also be slot-free sounds particularly lovely. Actually, come to think of it, can't you just pick/learn Find Familiar, stick it in the book and have ghetto Chain Pact?

Y'know, going through the various patrons mentioned, my first thought upon checking out the Raven Queen was "I could take pact of the chain and get TWO ravens!", which... Uh. Yeah. Good for Odin cosplays, I guess.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: August 29, 2018, 09:12:21 am »

I'm playing a paladin (Goliath though, not Aasimar) in a game right now and I've been thinking of a similar build, although celestial warlock is flavorfully cool, I find it a bit hard to justify taking it over more sorcerer levels. Eldritch Smite, Lifedrinker and Radiant Soul are cool, but don't compared well to all of sorcerer and paladin spellcasting (which is conviently upgraded by sorcerer levels so long as you have 2 paladin levels first) especially when thirsting blade doesn't stack with green flame blade and you can use those high level spell slots from sorcerer to empower your smites fairly freely (Of course, warlock can smite even more freely, although less powerfully...) as you quicken out multiple high level smites a turn.

It'd take a while to come online, but by level 10 two more sorcerer levels would get the quicken metamagic for 1 gfb and 1 quickened gfb each turn, and you can apply eldritch smite and divine smite to the melee hit in the gfb, so a second paladin level at 11 could result in some beefy burst damage. Would probably be better at mook blending than boss smashing though, gfb is better than a normal hit, but it's heavily weakened against single targets.

Probably still nowhere near as good as a sorcadin smite build mind you, that just has so much staying power, but more thematic I feel. Probably better than the average Eldritch Knight though.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: August 29, 2018, 09:25:48 am »

I would like to do a Fey Knight Warlock of Weaponpact/Paladin of NaturejoyGreenKnight Oath.

Let's go around taking orders from strange women lying in ponds distributing swords.
Love, scriver~

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: August 29, 2018, 10:11:54 am »

Yeah, rituals invocation looked interesting, even without knowing how rituals worked... But having rituals also be slot-free sounds particularly lovely.
It's maybe worth noting (in case you weren't already aware) that Wizards, Druids, Clerics, and Bards can all ritual cast by default in the same way (slot-free, +10 minute cast time).  They all need to have the spell prepared/memorised, except the Wizard who just needs it to be in his spellbook.  But unlike Tome Warlocks they're restricted to their own spell lists and apart from Wizards can't scribe new spells they come across in their travels.  On the other hand they all tend to have a lot more spell slots available for non-ritual casting (if we're still looking for maximum magical tomfoolery).

Actually, come to think of it, can't you just pick/learn Find Familiar, stick it in the book and have ghetto Chain Pact?
Pretty much, yes.  Weaker familiar and more restrictions on how you interact with it, but yeah you can definitely do that.  Similarly anyone with enough Int or Wis could take the Ritual Caster feat for ghetto Tome Pact (only one spell list, though it doesn't need to be Warlock, only able to ritual cast spells from the feat, and obviously uses up a feat/ASI pick)... and via that also get Find Familiar.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: August 29, 2018, 12:38:59 pm »

I believe someone said Fallen aasimar have bonus action Necrotic Shroud, but I am pretty sure Necrotic shroud is a bonus action.

Also, seriously, someone thought cantrips are all useless? Guidance, even with all its limitations, can give free +1d4 to any ability check, so your Faces have better Persuasion, your thieves better trap detection and disarming, your wizard better History and Arcana.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: August 29, 2018, 01:25:36 pm »

God, I dislike the names "Fallen Aasimar" or "Scourge Aasimar"
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: August 29, 2018, 01:41:10 pm »

I think Fallen Aasimar sounds fine, they're basically mortal Fallen Angels. Protector and Scourge Aasimar sound stupid to me, but Protector in particular.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: August 29, 2018, 01:47:17 pm »

Also, seriously, someone thought cantrips are all useless? Guidance, even with all its limitations, can give free +1d4 to any ability check, so your Faces have better Persuasion, your thieves better trap detection and disarming, your wizard better History and Arcana.
Your hamster better butt-kicking...

Also, this site's a bit weird. Judging from the formatting, "Mark of Scribing" is apparently a subrace of gnomes.

"Greetings small fellow, and what might you be?" "Mark."

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: August 29, 2018, 02:00:38 pm »

Eberron weirdness. Mark of X is a dragonmark thing.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: August 29, 2018, 03:23:12 pm »

Quote from: Barbarian Path Benefits
Elk Totem Attunement: While raging, you can use a bonus action during your move to pass through the space of a Large or smaller creature. That creature must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your Strength bonus + your proficiency bonus) or be knocked prone and take bludgeoning damage equal to 1d12 + your Strength modifier.

Beep beep, motherfuckers.

I can just see a halfling barbarian doing this and tripping people up like a particularly annoying cat.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: August 29, 2018, 03:32:56 pm »

I think Fallen Aasimar sounds fine, they're basically mortal Fallen Angels.

I would like them to be nothing of the sort
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: August 29, 2018, 03:39:42 pm »

I think Fallen Aasimar sounds fine, they're basically mortal Fallen Angels.

I would like them to be nothing of the sort
It's for when tieflings aren't edgy enough, and your DM won't allow Drow.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: August 29, 2018, 04:52:27 pm »

Or people pick it because it's fun.

Like the guy in my party. Light-hearted fun-German-accented (less Third Reich, more... gay German, I guess?) aasimar paladin. Then shit goes down, he wades into the middle of a group of enemies, and goes emo for a few rounds, and returns to his happy-go-lucky self.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: August 29, 2018, 05:01:00 pm »

Or people pick it because it's fun.

Like the guy in my party. Light-hearted fun-German-accented (less Third Reich, more... gay German, I guess?) aasimar paladin. Then shit goes down, he wades into the middle of a group of enemies, and goes emo for a few rounds, and returns to his happy-go-lucky self.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I apologize, but only slightly.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: August 29, 2018, 05:02:53 pm »

Honestly one of my favorite -ball comics.
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 623