Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845521 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #5955 on: October 25, 2018, 09:31:56 pm »

The same Perfectly-Balanced Table-Top Rpg. Game Module but Summarized-Up and not Wholly there and Left with a Lushful Camp@ign Maneuver and Flash-Backs of Parts of The Game with Spaces for Beautiful Art done by You and/or a Friend as a Picturesque/Pretty Hobby Collection of Perfectly-Balanced Aspiring Campaigning Imagery for your Fanning
I have zero idea what this person is trying to say.
It has rules, a summary of a game module, a campaign with gratuitous flash backs, and loads of blank paper to draw on.  I think?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: October 26, 2018, 06:16:04 am »

No. If you remove a part of your body, it's no longer a part of "you". D&D magic isn't particularly sympathetic, bar a couple specific spells.

In 3.5e and Pathfinder, if you want to affect someone else with a self-range spell, the solution is to craft a potion with the effect. In 5e, there aren't any particularly deep rules for crafting so it requires homebrew.
Yeah, and 3.5 potions can only contain spells of third level or less (though they can be of high caster level, which helps duration or potency usually)
Actually, personal range spells can't be brewed as potions.

Creating Potions
The creator of a potion needs a level working surface and at least a few containers in which to mix liquids, as well as a source of heat to boil the brew. In addition, he needs ingredients. The costs for materials and ingredients are subsumed in the cost for brewing the potion—25 gp × the level of the spell × the level of the caster.

All ingredients and materials used to brew a potion must be fresh and unused. The character must pay the full cost for brewing each potion. (Economies of scale do not apply.)

The imbiber of the potion is both the caster and the target. Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions.

The creator must have prepared the spell to be placed in the potion (or must know the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) and must provide any material component or focus the spell requires.

If casting the spell would reduce the caster’s XP total, he pays the XP cost upon beginning the brew in addition to the XP cost for making the potion itself. Material components are consumed when he begins working, but a focus is not. (A focus used in brewing a potion can be reused.) The act of brewing triggers the prepared spell, making it unavailable for casting until the character has rested and regained spells. (That is, that spell slot is expended from his currently prepared spells, just as if it had been cast.) Brewing a potion requires one day.

Source

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: October 26, 2018, 07:12:06 am »

If a warlock's spell slots cap out at 5th level, and to cast a spell you need a slot whose level is at least the same level of the spell...

Why are there 9th-level spells on the Warlock spell list?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: October 26, 2018, 07:55:24 am »

If a warlock's spell slots cap out at 5th level, and to cast a spell you need a slot whose level is at least the same level of the spell...

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Warlock#toc_12
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: October 26, 2018, 08:05:40 am »

anyone know if the infinity tabletop (not the wargame, but the rpg) is any good, i have the pdf here and might crack 'er open
also unironically give me suggestions for cool monsters to have in a Monster of the Week thread
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: October 26, 2018, 08:12:21 am »

Actually, personal range spells can't be brewed as potions.

Creating Potions

Source
Derp you're right, I was sorta wondering about that but I was posting busy.  That's why you can't make a potion of 3.5's True Strike or some other useful things, self-spells are exclusively for casters (or wondrous item effects, in specific cases, probably). 
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: October 26, 2018, 09:49:46 am »

Ah, of course, the "spells that are not spells but are still spells". I'd completely forgotten about those.

Warlock still seems fairly cobbled-together to me... A fair whack of the invocations are absolutely dreadful investments, but then in the same breath you can also gain permanent 120' darkvision that penetrates magical darkness.

Xanathar tries desperately to give the class some love, and accomplishes a fair deal (while opening up for some pretty hilarious melee damage via Hexblade), but then has little design oddities like "...roll d6, if it rolls 4 or higher the enemy's attack misses", because apparently flipping coins is for losers.

The capstone is also pretty bizarre. You can get the spell-restoring effects of a 1-hour short rest by using 1 minute, once a day. I suppose there might be high-octane campaigns where you'll be able to spare a minute, while an hour would simply too much time lost, buuut... Yeah.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: October 26, 2018, 10:06:28 am »

Does it mean I can only use one of these spells per day, or each one if these spells once per say?
Love, scriver~

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: October 26, 2018, 10:16:59 am »

Does it mean I can only use one of these spells per day, or each one if these spells once per say?
Each one.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: October 26, 2018, 12:33:04 pm »

Hey, here's a gimmick for ya... Hunter 11/Assassin 3. Take the Sharpshooter feat for the best effect.

We'll be using a longbow for this since it has the longest range and the potential +2 maximum damage of a heavy crossbow's d10 doesn't really justify taking an extra feat just to use it (crossbow mastery).

Sneaky-sneaky around until you come within 600 feet of your target without alerting them. Shouldn't be too difficult, all things considered. Then, use the hunter's Volley attack.

One attack action to roll ranged attacks against every target within a 10' radius of a point you select, plus an extra attack against one other enemy within 5' of one of the ones you hit in that 20' circle (Horde Breaker). Make all attack rolls with advantage and ignore half and three-quarters cover (this includes the bodies of other creatures standing in the way). On every hit, roll critical damage. One creature takes an extra 4d6 sneak attack damage (critical damage roll, remember). If you dip two levels into Fighter, you can do this twice.

After using your Action(s), you may use the rogue's cunning action to hide yourself again as a bonus action. Which, seeing as you're 500-600 feet away, shouldn't be too difficult.

Finally, observe the DM's reaction to your pincushioning an entire encounter.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: October 27, 2018, 02:28:55 pm »

Boy the things Xanathar's Lost Notes to Everything Else are poorly designed. With the Dragoon, if I choose the blowgun as a cavalry weapon and wear studded leather, at 5th level I have 3 attacks with a blowgun per round for +13 attack roll and each hit does 1d8+11 damage, or +8 attack with 1d8+21 damage with Sharpshooter.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: October 27, 2018, 03:14:47 pm »

That's what a slightly edited and published thing that's basically dandwiki gets you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: October 28, 2018, 12:38:04 pm »

We're doing another official Forgotten Realms module that was originally 2nd edition, these classics are fun!  We're more used to homebrew settings so it's still a little strange, both for the players and our GMs.  They really do plan for a lot of player actions.

We're in Watersdeep, city south of Neverwinter that's run by a secretive noble oligarchy established by some crazy wizard ages ago.  I feel like he established the city to keep roaming monsters away from his tower.  This is the city where one tavern has the Yawning Portal in the center, a mile-deep pit leading into a dungeon crawl.  In 2nd edition there was even a stairway, and trolls would randomly climb up and throw stirges at people, but the Level 15 Fighter tavernkeeper apparently came to his senses and made the pit smooth.  He still throws corpses in there after gang fights though.

We met Volo, yeah THE Volo, but he hasn't written his book yet.  He offered us 10gp to find his missing friend.  His tall, beautiful friend with flowing auburn hair and impeccable fashion sense, who lives with Volo but hasn't been home in a while.  Since this module was presumably written in the 70's or early 80's, I feel like it's tastefully but really strongly hinting at something cute.

Being a bard is awesome.  I have prestidigitation, healing word, and social skills.  -2 Int and a rustic background, but ditziness just makes me more credible!  We managed to talk past two significant battles using a mix of intimidation and innocence, heehee.

In a stroke of accidental "genius", we even managed to combine two major battles by persuading the first group to lead us to the second.  Resolving the first encounter gave us half XP, then we got full XP on top of that when we were forced to fight!  involved fighting two balanced encounters at once but we pulled out a win, all according to kenkaku (we were fighting kenku)

Protip:  If a kenku, parrot-like mimic birdman, begs for its life in one stream of voice, it's because it heard someone beg for their life.  If it keeps cutting off sharply at the end, draw your own conclusion.
Protip:  Leaving a murderous gangster with a half-orc barbarian isn't technically murder, and requires no morality check.  Particularly if you and the paladin are checking out a totally cool secret door!

I hit level 4 :D  Now the tough call:
Do I just take 2 charisma, bringing me to 20?  Better saves for my spells like Faerie Fire and Hideous Laughter, and even better social rolls.
Or do I take Tavern Brawler because I was in a totally awesome bar fight with chairs flying through the air?  I got a lucky +2 STR, and this bring me to +1 CON, and this way I could be completely unarmed with my lute - total non-combatant - but then kick people for only ~2 less damage than my rapier.  Or hit them with random items!  I think I've talked myself into it, and CON is always good.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: October 28, 2018, 02:41:26 pm »

We're doing another official Forgotten Realms module that was originally 2nd edition, these classics are fun!  We're more used to homebrew settings so it's still a little strange, both for the players and our GMs.  They really do plan for a lot of player actions.
Are you sure it's a 2nd edition module? Because it sounds a lot like Waterdeep Dragon Heist, the newest 5th edition module (at least until it's sequel, Dungeon of the Mad Mage, comes out). Granted, your DM could be inserting a lot of 2nd edition material for all I know.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: October 28, 2018, 02:58:14 pm »

I'm pretty sure.  The (supposed) treasure was (supposedly) built up by the princeling's father, when he was the Open Lord of Watersdeep.  No mention of dragons so far.
The impression I got is that it's a 5e-updated version of a 2e module, which seems to be pretty normal.  Our previous adventure in a dwarven mountain overrun by orcs was described the same way, originally 2e but updated through the years.

Specifically, apparently our current module had the troll appear in the tavern with no real explanation, when originally it would have taken the bizarre stairs which were present in 2e.

Also I really like my current character (:  She was one of the orc's prisoners in the dwarven stronghold, a seamstress, who became a 2nd level bard when my dwarven fighter died.  She's got a platonic/flirty hero-worship thing with the dragonborn paladin who rescued her, but also keeps insisting that the half-orc umm servant we recruited (when our sorcerer died) is officially princess of the tribe, since we killed all the rest (we didn't actually kill all the rest, but who cares).

She grew up in a icy village in the northern wastes, then almost starved to death as a captive of orcs, and now is cheerleader for a shiny paladin and strong female role model.  It's like a support dream come true

Edit:  Oh and Watersdeep, AKA not an icy subsistence village, was a nice RP time for her.  Specifically she learned the wonders of cloth-based clothing instead of seal leather, and fruit.  So much fruit.  She likes apples.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 03:08:43 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 623