Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845562 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6465 on: January 21, 2019, 11:48:39 am »

Yeah, VM is a full action, at least according to the official rules. Maybe you've been playing a homebrew for so long it's become ingrained?

I mean, you can cast shillelagh as a bonus action, but druids are the only ones who get that anyways...

Healing Word is bonus action, but it burns a spell slot. Very useful though, and druids get it naturally.

Plenty of concentration spells that make use of bonus actions, and without requiring a second spellcasting stat in order to use. Heck, you could dip Warlock and grab Hex, along with a once-per-short-rest spell slot you can use for it.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: January 21, 2019, 12:34:26 pm »

The Cutting Words of a Lore Bard are a bonus action and do much of the same thing as Vicious Mockery, perhaps that?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: January 21, 2019, 01:53:42 pm »

Actually they use a reaction, don't they?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: January 21, 2019, 02:09:22 pm »

Actually they use a reaction, don't they?
Yes, yes it does.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: January 24, 2019, 09:26:02 am »

Some of you are probably already aware. For those who aren't:

If you had ever wanted to RP a standard human from the UK's Regency era, have I got a game for you.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: January 24, 2019, 09:44:00 am »

I was just reading about that earlier. Spooky. It seems like it could be fun, but the chances of getting my regular group excited about Austen-esque society life shenanigans are somewhere around non-existent. I do enjoy getting my upper-class well-mannered indirect politeness fu on. If only I’d been born an idle rich Regency gentleperson destined to perish tragically from consumption, alas.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: January 24, 2019, 02:07:54 pm »

I was just reading a little bit about the Nocebo Effect on TV Tropes, and I have to say, it sounds like quite the thing for a Deception skilled rogue/bard to do.
"The first symptoms of the poison is horrible nausea, which should be starting soon." *Deception roll*
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:17:04 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: January 24, 2019, 02:35:01 pm »

My favourite book in the whole wide world of books isn't Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel, but it's probably second. It would fit that pretty much, I think (although it is Napoleonic). It's pretty much written as a pastiche and love letter of 19th century romantic books. But with magics!

No gentleman magician would ever stoop to practical magic, however. A gentleman only studies the theory of magic!

Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: January 24, 2019, 03:00:02 pm »

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel, the BBC tv series adaption of the book. That's Jonathan Strange there. Don't be confused by how they keep shouting Merlin at him, that's just his "army nickname" so to speak.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: January 24, 2019, 03:29:36 pm »

I was just reading a little bit about the Nocebo Effect on TV Tropes, and I have to say, it sounds like quite the thing for a Deception skilled rogue/bard to do.
"The first symptoms of the poison is horrible nausea, which should be starting soon." *Deception roll*
For as much as I love this, I wasn't aware that diplomancers needed a buff.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: January 24, 2019, 03:32:45 pm »

Here's a somewhat particular question for you all:

Some of my colleagues have approached me about running an intro Pathfinder module to pass the time during an upcoming work excursion. Of the two who have already definitely indicated their interest, one has previously played a bit of D&D and the other has vague memories of hearing about it.

We've got nine hours of transit time to kill each way, so I wouldn't mind something intended to last more than a session, and as both of them are keen Game of Thrones fans I had thought of running Crownfall. How bad an idea is that?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: January 24, 2019, 03:40:56 pm »

So, the DnD campaign I've been gearing up for since autumn probably isn't gonna happen. See, Finnish Bartender Girl introduced me to the GM, who was also then-recently her new boyfriend. They'd met at one of his games, and 'twas love at first sight. So he was gonna run a second campaign also including Finnish Bartender, while still running the first campaign with Finnish Bartender, and tying the two campaigns in with each other.

'Cept now they've broken up. Welp.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: January 24, 2019, 03:47:06 pm »

This is mostly joking, since I actually have zero experience with this happening, but I've read enough stories about RPGs going wrong because of romance between players or GMs that I suspect this is a common issue.

It's usually people complaining about creepy stuff the GM does to or for their significant other's character though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: January 24, 2019, 05:45:39 pm »

Anything involving people is bound to have significant issues.

In other news, Humble is hosting a books bundle of Numenéra rulebooks, where you can get "$260 value!" of corebooks and expansions for $15, or just the basics for $1.

...the fuck even is Numenéra though? There's an expansion rulebook about sex, so I'm a little worried.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: January 24, 2019, 06:09:22 pm »

Apparently, it's a sort of cross between 5E D&D and FATE (not FATAL, that's something completely different) where supposedly all the dice rolling is done by players. You roll d20s to try and beat various challenge ratings, can get training in various areas to reduce the difficulty of said challenges, and can burn your "HP" to gain further boosts at the cost of leaving yourself vulnerable. The GM sets the difficulty of various tasks; provides narrative; and can intercede in rolls to make players automatically fail, in exchange for giving the players bonus EXP. Notably, players can spend EXP in order to ignore the intercession.

Oh and it apparently takes place on Earth something like a billion years in the future.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 623