Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845453 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8070 on: May 31, 2020, 08:40:16 pm »

I was going to suggest that the Jungle of Incoherent Savages definitely was the result of bad anthropology degrees, but I see that's been taken care of.

Winelake and Meatforest should be their appropriate colors.

Tell me of the Spicy Ocean and its secrets.

Now that I'm thinking about it, weather manipulation is probably one of the most OP powers a preindustrial civilization could have. The harvests are on-time all year, every year. And probably also incomparable ecological devastation around the rest of the planet, which might go a long way to explaining the rebel grass and rainwater, but still man, those harvests. Which probably also means that if The Party were to fuck with the control towers that they could easily kill millions of people and permanantly destroy this civilization without even meaning to!

These monetary laws speak to the existence of a hardcore gold standard-based rebel organization who will not submit to the tyranny of fiat currency, and that scares me.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8071 on: May 31, 2020, 09:16:16 pm »

If you want some added authenticity, place names in Chinese are very geographical and descriptive. Horsetown, for example, might be more like Brown Horse (Town). The cardinal directions, descriptive colors, and physical traits are the go to for generic naming.

Guangzhou  (Wide Area)
Shanghai (Above Sea)
Shenzhen (Deep Ditch)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8072 on: May 31, 2020, 09:47:48 pm »

If you want some added authenticity, place names in Chinese are very geographical and descriptive. Horsetown, for example, might be more like Brown Horse (Town). The cardinal directions, descriptive colors, and physical traits are the go to for generic naming.

Guangzhou  (Wide Area)
Shanghai (Above Sea)
Shenzhen (Deep Ditch)

Yeah, but I think the idea was that the players aren't supposed to realize it's actually Asia, and naming it in non-English might give it away.

Same as when FASA named the forest in Earthdawn the Wyrmwood instead of Wormwood (in the local language), and carefully cropped the map so the Black Sea wasn't easily recognizable.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8073 on: June 01, 2020, 12:34:15 am »

My favourite part is the weather regulation. Is it true or just propaganda? Who knows, it's great either way.

My punk band in this setting would be called the Little Wayward Cloud Puff

Anyway it looks great LW. I was going to say I noticed the bigdong but I see you brought it up yourself in at the end. I'm hoping there's a mountain really big hill (but the locals insist it is a mountain) called Bigdong Mountain in the area.

How do a meat forest look, exactly? Both in real life and in-game? Is it a fake thing like a normal wood that's continuously decorated with meat by human hands, or is it a real (as in self-growing, if through magical means) forest where bone trees and meat fruit grow? Do they have to continuously employ adventurers to deal with their constant goblin infestation problem?

Guangzhou  (Wide Area)
Shanghai (Above Sea)
Shenzhen (Deep Ditch)

Deep Blue Sea?
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8074 on: June 01, 2020, 05:22:39 am »

Shenluhai

I like all this because I lived in Shenzhen for a while and hated everything about it. A deep ditch seems appropriate as a name for it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8075 on: June 01, 2020, 08:01:35 am »

I was going to suggest that the Jungle of Incoherent Savages definitely was the result of bad anthropology degrees, but I see that's been taken care of.
Yeah there's degrees of chauvinism inside the Imperial Court. Celestial Draconic is the Court's only recognized language which requires understanding of celestial and draconic to understand. Common is a descendant of draconic, with each city having their own dialect. The further away from SE Capital the more the dialect reflects local languages, with the SE Capital common almost being identical to draconic, whilst the people in the mountains / jungles / far grasslands speaking their relatively uninfluenced / completely uninfluenced native languages of tiyenese, conglish and fanpanese respectively.

Winelake and Meatforest should be their appropriate colors.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Good call

Tell me of the Spicy Ocean and its secrets.
Honestly I haven't fleshed it out well. I feel like the name and mystery is better than anything I could come up with. If I had to give it form, I'd say it's a place where the ocean is split into shelves of oceanic civilisations living in an actual spicy ocean. The ocean here is made spicy by its unusual spicy salt content, which is sourced from a spicy vent in the Rempah Trench. Various spicy fauna grow beneath, on and above the waves. Dense underwater jungles of sargasso saffron wave about, schools of coriander fish swimming between. The mermen tend to their crops of kelpmint, whilst above archipelagos are inhabited by countless mangroves of spicy spices - cinnamon, cardamon, white, red, black and green pepper. Magical spices like holy moly, devil's root and Jain's tears all provide a taste of what is on offer.

Now that I'm thinking about it, weather manipulation is probably one of the most OP powers a preindustrial civilization could have. The harvests are on-time all year, every year. And probably also incomparable ecological devastation around the rest of the planet, which might go a long way to explaining the rebel grass and rainwater, but still man, those harvests. Which probably also means that if The Party were to fuck with the control towers that they could easily kill millions of people and permanantly destroy this civilization without even meaning to!
Literal Heaven's Mandate. If the rivers flood, if the rains dry, if the storms blow - the government and the Emperor are directly accountable and failure demands a change in administration. So in times of peace the weather is idyllic all year round, in times of chaos the adventuring party has to start stocking up on storm/heat/cold protection, as nature tries to restore a natural cycle in a realm where the seasons are on a government schedule

These monetary laws speak to the existence of a hardcore gold standard-based rebel organization who will not submit to the tyranny of fiat currency, and that scares me.
HOIST THE GOLD STANDARD HIGH
THE GOLD TURBAN REBELLION WILL PREVAIL

Guangzhou  (Wide Area)
Shanghai (Above Sea)
Shenzhen (Deep Ditch)
Brownhorse is a great one, which I think I'll use. Cardinal directions I feel are mandatory for naming ever since I found out Beijing means north capital, Nanjing south capital and Dongjing east capital. That is functional and adorable naming, whilst a lot of generic naming is easily forgotten in the UK (off the top of my head, cheapside, southbank, westminster, newcastle, portsmouth, innsmouth, london bridge, wessex, essex, sussex, middlesex, a lot of the x-woods). Literal descriptions of the local area / landmark sounds very natural when you say it in one word, and I think it's even more immersive than if I gave everything dwarvish/elvish/draconic names, because the players read the names as if they were locals instead of outsiders

Yeah, but I think the idea was that the players aren't supposed to realize it's actually Asia, and naming it in non-English might give it away.

Same as when FASA named the forest in Earthdawn the Wyrmwood instead of Wormwood (in the local language), and carefully cropped the map so the Black Sea wasn't easily recognizable.
My favourite ones are the ones where it's just Earth but flipped upside down, or the land and ocean have been inverted. In the latter case it took me three years to realise the sea I was looking at looked suspiciously like the British Isles coastline

My favourite part is the weather regulation. Is it true or just propaganda? Who knows, it's great either way.
When the system runs as intended, the government uses the six capital towers to cast control weather, which normally has a 5 mile radius. So they use these gargantuan towers sprinkled across Tiyen Sha to spread their control across most of the country
It gets less reliable the further away from a tower you get, and the further away from the radius you get. This is why the Warlords of Jiyang June get autonomy / protectorship over the Cliffs of Amber, why the inhabitants of the jungles of incoherent savages / cannibals can get away with paying no taxes and openly ignoring the Emperor's sovereignty, and why the Empire hasn't bothered trying to change the desert of bad prices.

If even one of the six towers of elemental regulation are damaged or destroyed, the whole system could shut down. Each of the towers, including the relay towers, needs incredibly high level druids/clerics/wizards to function. As these boys and girls can be counted with fingers and toes, losing them to assassination, retirement or industrial action could be devastating if it occurs at the same time. In addition, the towers are garrisoned by elite troops loyal to the capital. However, corruption, demoralization, rebellion can all occur, with the Lonely Tower a particular hotspot for trouble, and local lords wielding great influence over nearby towers.

This is basically to explain narratively why rebellions are so rare (the government controls the weather and can turn your rebellion into a nightmare of storms), but when they do occur, it quickly devolves into regional warlordism (the government foolishly empowers local polities to raise armies and take control of their local towers in order to put down the rebels, ignoring the fact that this makes the local polity immune to hostile weather actions and gives them control of the local weather, making them the de facto sovereign of their demense).

If all goes well, the campaign should have a nice progression of:
1. Everything is working as intended, but there are signs of weakness in the land (players have to deal with corrupt officials from time to time, peasants request their help dealing with problems the government normally deals with, like wild boars raiding their farms and menacing their village. It's Imperial Examination season, and the players are going to get the option of taking the exams - if they succeed, they get promoted.
2. Everything is not working exactly as intended, but things are still fine for now. Players are tasked by local magistrates to locate an isolated zombie plague outbreak before it reaches the megacities. They can retake the Imperial Examination, but whatever their success/failure, they will be demoted, as the Court employed too many civil servants. A trainee-graduate warlock accidentally made a pact with an enemy of the state (the fiddling fiend), and needs the party's help to cheat pass the Imperial Examination without being discovered (they now have devil horns and a tail, and also show up as evil in detect spells).
3. Shit's about to go down. Someone murdered the Weather Wizard of the Lonely Tower, and in the 30 minutes the Lonely Tower was unmanned, a raincloud full of seditious rainwater made it over the wall. The players can either try clean up the puddles of seditious water / contaminated tea leaves, or go after whoever assassinated the weather wizard. Either way, the players will discover rumours that a Gold Standard is being raised high.
4. Oh fuck it's all fucked. Plague, storms, unregulated weather, rebellions, local warlord factionalism, armies from beyond the wall, apocalyptic rumours and the Shah mountain is erupting. This is when I get to throw all sorts of high level critters at my players :]

I'm trying to set it up so that no matter what my players want to do, they get a feel of how things should be and get emotionally invested in some characters, before things get dark and full of terrors. Also I'm using the horde template some legend homebrewed to greatly streamline hundreds of soldiers and peasants running around, so can roll 1 dice for 1 horde instead of 120 dice for 120 peasants. I'm trying to stay away from railroading, so I hope my skill for improv and off the shelf bullshit will serve me well. Any tips on off-rail DMing is appreciated though ;D

Can I add the Wayward Cloud into my setting? It's a fucking great name, I can totally imagine a bard group running around with such a name

Anyway it looks great LW. I was going to say I noticed the bigdong but I see you brought it up yourself in at the end. I'm hoping there's a mountain really big hill (but the locals insist it is a mountain) called Bigdong Mountain in the area.
Yep, the Riverlands is full of hills and mountains, I think I can include that. I love the idea of the locals getting defensive if they refer to it as a hill

How do a meat forest look, exactly? Both in real life and in-game? Is it a fake thing like a normal wood that's continuously decorated with meat by human hands, or is it a real (as in self-growing, if through magical means) forest where bone trees and meat fruit grow? Do they have to continuously employ adventurers to deal with their constant goblin infestation problem?
In real life it was said to be a collection of trees covered in skewers of roast meat. I like to envision it as a more stylistic version of a meat drying rack.

In game I want it to be a bit more fantastic, with the meat forest being a magical invention of one of the more decadent Dragon Emperors. In times of peace the meat forest looks like a bunch of plants, only meatier. Instead of green leaves, the leaves are skin, and you can see the veins underneath. If you cut them they bleed, and the trunks of meat trees have a continuously growing spine in the middle, flesh and fat in the outer layers and incredibly tough hide for the outermost layer. Eating one of the meat plants is a decidedly unpleasant experience, unless you enjoy raw meat. When it is harvest season however, the pseudoplants produce branches that ripen into dried meats good to eat for most humanoids. If left alone, these branches break off and form a new meat tree, meet bush or meat grass. The meat pseudoplants are incredibly inactive to conserve energy, and are omnivorous, feeding from root mouths (that look like lamprey eel mouths). They are tended to by stewards of the meat forest, who keep all of the fauna well-fed with vegetables and kitchen waste.

Low-level threat ideas include packs of wild wolves, small bands of meat bandits
Mid-level threat ideas include the camp of the meat bandits
High-level threat ideas include the stewards going AWOL, and as a result, the meat forest becoming hungry

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8076 on: June 01, 2020, 12:53:21 pm »

When the system runs as intended, the government uses the six capital towers to cast control weather, which normally has a 5 mile radius. So they use these gargantuan towers sprinkled across Tiyen Sha to spread their control across most of the country
It gets less reliable the further away from a tower you get, and the further away from the radius you get. This is why the Warlords of Jiyang June get autonomy / protectorship over the Cliffs of Amber, why the inhabitants of the jungles of incoherent savages / cannibals can get away with paying no taxes and openly ignoring the Emperor's sovereignty, and why the Empire hasn't bothered trying to change the desert of bad prices.

If even one of the six towers of elemental regulation are damaged or destroyed, the whole system could shut down. Each of the towers, including the relay towers, needs incredibly high level druids/clerics/wizards to function. As these boys and girls can be counted with fingers and toes, losing them to assassination, retirement or industrial action could be devastating if it occurs at the same time. In addition, the towers are garrisoned by elite troops loyal to the capital. However, corruption, demoralization, rebellion can all occur, with the Lonely Tower a particular hotspot for trouble, and local lords wielding great influence over nearby towers.

This is basically to explain narratively why rebellions are so rare (the government controls the weather and can turn your rebellion into a nightmare of storms), but when they do occur, it quickly devolves into regional warlordism (the government foolishly empowers local polities to raise armies and take control of their local towers in order to put down the rebels, ignoring the fact that this makes the local polity immune to hostile weather actions and gives them control of the local weather, making them the de facto sovereign of their demense).

If all goes well, the campaign should have a nice progression of:
1. Everything is working as intended, but there are signs of weakness in the land (players have to deal with corrupt officials from time to time, peasants request their help dealing with problems the government normally deals with, like wild boars raiding their farms and menacing their village. It's Imperial Examination season, and the players are going to get the option of taking the exams - if they succeed, they get promoted.
2. Everything is not working exactly as intended, but things are still fine for now. Players are tasked by local magistrates to locate an isolated zombie plague outbreak before it reaches the megacities. They can retake the Imperial Examination, but whatever their success/failure, they will be demoted, as the Court employed too many civil servants. A trainee-graduate warlock accidentally made a pact with an enemy of the state (the fiddling fiend), and needs the party's help to cheat pass the Imperial Examination without being discovered (they now have devil horns and a tail, and also show up as evil in detect spells).
3. Shit's about to go down. Someone murdered the Weather Wizard of the Lonely Tower, and in the 30 minutes the Lonely Tower was unmanned, a raincloud full of seditious rainwater made it over the wall. The players can either try clean up the puddles of seditious water / contaminated tea leaves, or go after whoever assassinated the weather wizard. Either way, the players will discover rumours that a Gold Standard is being raised high.
4. Oh fuck it's all fucked. Plague, storms, unregulated weather, rebellions, local warlord factionalism, armies from beyond the wall, apocalyptic rumours and the Shah mountain is erupting. This is when I get to throw all sorts of high level critters at my players :]

I'm trying to set it up so that no matter what my players want to do, they get a feel of how things should be and get emotionally invested in some characters, before things get dark and full of terrors. Also I'm using the horde template some legend homebrewed to greatly streamline hundreds of soldiers and peasants running around, so can roll 1 dice for 1 horde instead of 120 dice for 120 peasants. I'm trying to stay away from railroading, so I hope my skill for improv and off the shelf bullshit will serve me well. Any tips on off-rail DMing is appreciated though ;D

Many thumbs up! I'm using thumbs horde rules, so I only have to raise one but it means 120 thumbs!

Can I add the Wayward Cloud into my setting? It's a fucking great name, I can totally imagine a bard group running around with such a name

Of course you can it's not like OH WAIT ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL

Related song by Bob Hund (the name means tralala little cloud puff)

Yep, the Riverlands is full of hills and mountains, I think I can include that. I love the idea of the locals getting defensive if they refer to it as a hill

Have you seen The Man Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain? Or read, I think it was a book first.

In real life it was said to be a collection of trees covered in skewers of roast meat. I like to envision it as a more stylistic version of a meat drying rack.

In game I want it to be a bit more fantastic, with the meat forest being a magical invention of one of the more decadent Dragon Emperors. In times of peace the meat forest looks like a bunch of plants, only meatier. Instead of green leaves, the leaves are skin, and you can see the veins underneath. If you cut them they bleed, and the trunks of meat trees have a continuously growing spine in the middle, flesh and fat in the outer layers and incredibly tough hide for the outermost layer. Eating one of the meat plants is a decidedly unpleasant experience, unless you enjoy raw meat. When it is harvest season however, the pseudoplants produce branches that ripen into dried meats good to eat for most humanoids. If left alone, these branches break off and form a new meat tree, meet bush or meat grass. The meat pseudoplants are incredibly inactive to conserve energy, and are omnivorous, feeding from root mouths (that look like lamprey eel mouths). They are tended to by stewards of the meat forest, who keep all of the fauna well-fed with vegetables and kitchen waste.

Low-level threat ideas include packs of wild wolves, small bands of meat bandits
Mid-level threat ideas include the camp of the meat bandits
High-level threat ideas include the stewards going AWOL, and as a result, the meat forest becoming hungry

Presentation idea - encourage them to travel through the meat forest early on while the realm is still calm so they experience that first. Then if they spend the night in the forest, have them roll perception -- if anyone fails, have them wake up with a foot dragged into a mouth hole :D

Just to show that the forest isn't all nice and dandy. Then if they return when shit has hit the fan the effect of how it has changed will have greater impact :D
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8077 on: June 01, 2020, 03:48:51 pm »

So, non-evil humanoids killed by a shadow's strength drain attack, they rise 1d4 hours later as a new shadow...

Are there any other good examples of self-propagating monsters? Like, for the sake of a city rapidly being torn apart by an infestation that gets more powerful the longer it's left unchecked.

It's just that it's a bit difficult to barricade the door against shadow attacks, but I guess that'd make them spread and become a problem that much faster...

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8078 on: June 01, 2020, 03:52:19 pm »

Lycanthropes. Any of them really, although werebears tend to be more solitary.

Wight's have something similar to shadows, but it only creates zombies sadly. I'm sure there's some other undead that do this as well.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8079 on: June 01, 2020, 03:52:33 pm »

There are also the Slaadi, but if you think shadows are hard to fight against, they definitely are too hard.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8080 on: June 01, 2020, 03:55:34 pm »

You could modify zombies to be infectious. Here's a video someone made on that.
https://youtu.be/rT6jGPVcPIw
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8081 on: June 01, 2020, 04:03:32 pm »

So, non-evil humanoids killed by a shadow's strength drain attack, they rise 1d4 hours later as a new shadow...

Are there any other good examples of self-propagating monsters? Like, for the sake of a city rapidly being torn apart by an infestation that gets more powerful the longer it's left unchecked.

It's just that it's a bit difficult to barricade the door against shadow attacks, but I guess that'd make them spread and become a problem that much faster...
Rogue simulacrum army

Mimics consuming furnitures, coins, shop items, whole houses and replacing them with mimic copies

Undead of all stripes (zombies, vampires, skelebones)

An incredibly aggressive ooze

Many thumbs up! I'm using thumbs horde rules, so I only have to raise one but it means 120 thumbs!
120 finger guns to you

Of course you can it's not like OH WAIT ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL
It's ok, I have my own original name instead, Cold Wayward Cloud Rain, completely different OC

Have you seen The Man Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain? Or read, I think it was a book first.
Reading the synopsis, it really feels like the make Pluto a planet again campaign. Symbols are important

Presentation idea - encourage them to travel through the meat forest early on while the realm is still calm so they experience that first. Then if they spend the night in the forest, have them roll perception -- if anyone fails, have them wake up with a foot dragged into a mouth hole :D

Just to show that the forest isn't all nice and dandy. Then if they return when shit has hit the fan the effect of how it has changed will have greater impact :D
I told my players there will be two mandatory quests at the start, one being find the plague patient 0, the other being find the pig. The pig has been terrorizing local farms and will almost certainly be taking a detour through meat forest >:D

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8082 on: June 01, 2020, 04:13:28 pm »

Honestly I haven't fleshed it out well. I feel like the name and mystery is better than anything I could come up with. If I had to give it form, I'd say it's a place where the ocean is split into shelves of oceanic civilisations living in an actual spicy ocean. The ocean here is made spicy by its unusual spicy salt content, which is sourced from a spicy vent in the Rempah Trench. Various spicy fauna grow beneath, on and above the waves. Dense underwater jungles of sargasso saffron wave about, schools of coriander fish swimming between. The mermen tend to their crops of kelpmint, whilst above archipelagos are inhabited by countless mangroves of spicy spices - cinnamon, cardamon, white, red, black and green pepper. Magical spices like holy moly, devil's root and Jain's tears all provide a taste of what is on offer.
I am strongly about this aesthetic and will make my trade upon the spicy crystal waters of this paradise, where presumably butter is rarer and more illegal than gold.

HOIST THE GOLD STANDARD HIGH
THE GOLD TURBAN REBELLION WILL PREVAIL
this will be good for magecoin
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8083 on: June 01, 2020, 04:26:30 pm »

I am strongly about this aesthetic and will make my trade upon the spicy crystal waters of this paradise, where presumably butter is rarer and more illegal than gold.
Pirates will inevitably inquire regarding your butty

Magecoin is a scam, invest in roguecoin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8084 on: June 01, 2020, 04:40:29 pm »

Magecoin is a scam, invest in roguecoin
you, a foolish imperial paperfucker: "b-b-but you can't measure the value of currency based on how many shadows the Rogue Standard can hide in on a midday sun, that's stupid!"

me, a glorious fiscal dissident and scientific value-scholar: "ha ha darkness printer go [REMAIN SILENT]"
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 623