Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 845645 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!
« Reply #9225 on: July 11, 2023, 03:19:23 pm »

If you end up getting sent into the astral plane or some other bizarre dimension... Couldn't you just cast Banishment on yourself to go back?

I mean sure, there's a CHA save and no specific wording that you can choose to fail it, but... Still seems a fair bit easier than some of the other options.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9226 on: July 11, 2023, 06:14:29 pm »

If you end up getting sent into the astral plane or some other bizarre dimension... Couldn't you just cast Banishment on yourself to go back?

I mean sure, there's a CHA save and no specific wording that you can choose to fail it, but... Still seems a fair bit easier than some of the other options.

Assuming you have enough spell slots for every present party member, and time to do so, (about four and a half minutes for your average 4 man party, which is easy enough if you aren't under immediate attack) yeah.

I think some planes, mostly evil ones, might have inherent shenanigans that make that difficult in some editions, as would the Divine Realms of deities, but it's generally an easy way out of most involuntary interplanar stuff.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9227 on: July 11, 2023, 06:42:05 pm »

Wouldn't it just plop you back "somewhere" in the prime material plane?
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9228 on: July 11, 2023, 06:44:19 pm »

Yeah, but if you're about to be eaten by an astral whale, that's a problem for you 5 minutes from now.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9229 on: July 12, 2023, 01:46:19 am »

Yeah, but if you're about to be eaten by an astral whale, that's a problem for you 5 minutes from now.

*lands in the middle of ocean next to killer whales*
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9230 on: July 12, 2023, 05:19:08 am »

*lands in the middle of ocean next to killer whales*
A true DM.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9231 on: July 12, 2023, 09:13:15 am »

Players: "Orcas! We're saved!"
GM: "Think more Captain Ahab"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9232 on: July 13, 2023, 12:57:58 am »

Players: "Orcas! We're saved!"
GM: "Think more Captain Ahab"
Ahab the storm herald barbarian

Man too angry to drown

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9233 on: August 17, 2023, 12:19:38 pm »

Got an idea for an X-files adjacent kind of game. Set in the modern period, sometime in between 1920-1970 or so.

The PCs would be agents working for a Men in Black type secret organisation, working to suppress knowledge of various supernatural or supernatural-adjacent phenomena and threats. Werewolves, zombie viruses, vampires, wendigos, cryptids in general, that sort of thing.

The organisation started out as several groups of knights, monks, priests, doctors and so forth from around the world who had taken up the cause of hunting their local 'monsters' to protect their own people, but after efforts to utilise these monsters in one or the other World War* it was decided that the various groups of monster hunters needed to come together and cooperate to prevent the threats they had been guarding against from being released upon people en masse by malevolent actors, and most of these groups have come together to form a unified clandestine body which operates semi-independantly from the nations of the world.

Now the main two threats the organisation deals with are wild outbreaks of the things they seek to contain, a werewolf preying on the people of an isolated region, a town being laid siege by undead after it's water supply became contaminated with the zombie plague, and the human radicals who seek to weaponise or irresponsibly study the pathogens, species and stange forces behind these events.

*Perhaps Nazi Werewolves, or British Zombies. Whatever plan, it would have been nipped in the bud.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9234 on: August 17, 2023, 12:23:06 pm »

Got a system in mind?
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9235 on: August 17, 2023, 01:07:16 pm »

Got a system in mind?

A few come to mind. I have a fondness for the FFG 40k percentile system, and it would be easy enough to refit Dark Heresy to be set in the real world but with monsters. Strip out the sci-fi and 40k stuff and you're left with a high lethality shooting and stabbing game. Meaningful reload times on some guns is also a plus.

D20 Modern is an obvious pick, as is WoD, but D20 modern is basically just D&D with guns, which isn't really the tone I would want, and WoD is a game I find really unintuitive. WoD might flow better once everything is loaded up into a virtual system like Roll20, but just setting it up would be a real pain.

Call of Cthulhu might work, in that it's a D20 system, so more easy to acclimatise my group to but much gloomier and higher lethality than D&D derivatives. The sanity mechanics might be of interest to represent PTSD or similar.

All Flesh Must Be Eaten might also work, it was literally designed around zombie horror, but it's been a while so I don't recall quite how easy it was to play. It's probably my number 1 choice, but I need to look it over to actually make up my mind.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9236 on: August 17, 2023, 09:05:55 pm »

Not sure where you got the idea that Call of Chtulhu is d20, since its a d100 system like the 40k FFG RPGs. I think it has had at least one d20 conversion, but its primarily d100.

Since you seem to like d100, might be worth checking out the Delta Green RPG, which is a spin off of Call of Cthulhu where you work for a secret government agency/conspiracy dedicated to keeping the mythos contained and secret in the modern day. It also cites X-Files as an inspiration, so its probably easily hackable.

Another possibility might be Modiphius's Achtung Cthulhu. Haven't played that one myself but its a bit more pulpy and definitely has Nazi supernatural stuff.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9237 on: August 19, 2023, 05:12:37 am »

Anyone have experience with Candela Obscura? Friend of mine discovered it recently and it gunning to DM a game of it, and I might be able to snag a spot there. Never heard of the system before her bringing it up, so was kinda curious what I might be getting myself into

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9238 on: August 19, 2023, 05:14:11 am »

Tell us about it :P
Love, scriver~

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9239 on: August 19, 2023, 08:00:35 am »

You probably haven't heard of it since the full rules aren't even out yet. The quickstart was released a few months back and the full rules come out in October.

Pretty much all I know about it is that its produced by the Critical Role folks and its an investigative horror rpg in the vein of stuff like Call of Cthulhu.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 623