Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1007960 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #8775 on: September 21, 2018, 10:28:21 pm »

This James Connolly? There's also this rugby player, but he's too young to have been around for the troubles.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:33:21 pm by smjjames »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8776 on: September 22, 2018, 03:18:23 am »

Eh? Imic is Irish, not NORTHERN Irish, I think. One person does not make a flame war.
We have both on the forum you nimrod! Now it's just a matter of time!
https://youtu.be/qBRKt9bQT10
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8777 on: September 22, 2018, 04:20:43 am »

Heh, it's funny how Nimrod became an insult.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8778 on: September 22, 2018, 04:25:58 am »

Salzburg and chronic misreading

You know I do get the feeling that British press, both pro and anti brexit, tends to misapprehend some stuff that seems obvious in continental EU and Ireland (based on my conversations from people from continental EU and Ireland).  I don't know if it's a delliberate agenda or a cultural breach. I've seen british people here echo those ideas so I'm leaning more on the latter.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:28:01 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8779 on: September 22, 2018, 04:31:35 am »

There's an Irish bartender who works at the pub I tend to frequent. I've never actually had him serving when I was ordering, but I know he works there.

I'm just waiting for the chance to show my cultural appreciation by ordering an Irish Car Bomb followed by a Black & Tan.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8780 on: September 22, 2018, 04:47:31 am »

There's an Irish bartender who works at the pub I tend to frequent. I've never actually had him serving when I was ordering, but I know he works there.

I'm just waiting for the chance to show my cultural appreciation by ordering an Irish Car Bomb followed by a Black & Tan.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Gerry Adams eating ice cream will be very disappointed with you.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:26:48 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8781 on: September 22, 2018, 08:46:44 am »

Salzburg and chronic misreading

You know I do get the feeling that British press, both pro and anti brexit, tends to misapprehend some stuff that seems obvious in continental EU and Ireland (based on my conversations from people from continental EU and Ireland).  I don't know if it's a delliberate agenda or a cultural breach. I've seen british people here echo those ideas so I'm leaning more on the latter.

Reading that, it seems at least in part cultural, both on the part of British press and those doing the negotiations. If Theresa May hadn't wasted time trying to get a better majority and the Salzburg meeting wasn't effectively a 10th hour thing, it might not be as big a deal.

It's probably also that since Brexit is such a huge freaking deal for both sides in the UK, there's an understandable tendency to shout the latest developments from the rooftops, so to speak.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 10:45:08 am by smjjames »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8782 on: September 22, 2018, 12:43:29 pm »

Theresa May is preparing for a no deal by setting the groundwork to blame it on the EU.

*sigh*
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8783 on: September 22, 2018, 02:40:33 pm »

The only solution left is to expel the Isles from Europe. Find your luck west of Brittany, for the Brits Brest detests.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8784 on: September 22, 2018, 06:25:09 pm »

The quest to see if it's possible to revoke Article 50 is getting sent to the EU's highest court.

Just thought it'd be interesting to note the progress on that.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8785 on: September 23, 2018, 03:53:31 am »

Meanwhile in the UK

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8786 on: September 23, 2018, 03:59:32 am »

What's even better is that the owner's name is Darren Chick.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8787 on: September 23, 2018, 04:14:05 am »

An African? And they're speaking Spanish?

Bloody immigrants...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8788 on: September 23, 2018, 05:28:05 am »

Ireland and her border has been the biggest complication in the Brexit deal. My opinion? The bastards shouldn’t have invaded us in the first place.

I quite agree. The Irish should also not have invaded Scotland and formed Dal Riata. The Normans should not have invaded England and created the seeds of an extended Angevin empire. Britain should not have invaded [Insert Country], America should not have invaded [Insert Country], China should not have invaded [Insert Country], Germany should not have invaded [Insert Country].

Though, as invasions go, the initial "invasion" of Ireland was rather tame. King Henry II had permission from the Pope to both claim Ireland and civilise it, a fact perhaps not appreciated now but which at the time made any intervention more than justifiable. He allowed an exiled King of Leinster to recruit his knights and sat back. Diarmat (the exile) offered a de Clare his daughter's hand as payment for help reclaiming his kingdom. Strongbow, as he came to be known, accepted and was on the reconquest of Diarmat's kingdom named his heir and succeeded to the kingdom.

So far perfectly legitimate.

Henry II got worried that one of his under-boys would get uppity and start his own Kingdom, much as his Norman ancestors had. He went over with a considerable force (arguably to escape Papal displeasure over the killing of Becket) and received the fealty of this Strongbow of the Anglo-Norman-Irish Kingdom. He then proceeded to exercise his God-given right to Ireland. The Irish clergy were over joyed at this cease to the perpetual turmoil which had gripped them, and wrote approvingly to the Pope. King Henry II named John his son as Lord of Ireland, a title beholden to the English crown but not belonging to it. Gradually more and more Irish sub-kings swore fealty to John.

That John became King and the title Lord of Ireland was subsumed by the English crown was a matter of chance, in that John was the youngest of four* sons.

*Can't remember exact number of sons, but I think it was four. Geoffrey, Richard, John and Henry.

Anywho, yes. Shouldn't have invaded and all, but as invasions go it was rather tame and remarkably legitimate for the times. It also seems to have granted King Henry the unwavering love of the Irish
clergy for his.... 'help'.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8789 on: September 23, 2018, 07:24:11 am »

*facepaln* ok Smjames. Whatever happens now is your fault. I want you to remember that
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 793