Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859662 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4710 on: October 22, 2018, 08:40:51 pm »

Like this?

Spoiler: "Mammatus" clouds (click to show/hide)
Ahh, yes. The phrase "Mammatus" brings back memories of a book I owned and lost as a tween. A wonderful book, with a weatherproof blue cover, all dedicated to something like "watching the sky." It had entire section on clouds and the day sky, an entire section on stars/planets and the night sky, and then another section on how to build and maintain your own little observatory, with every sort of variation depending on how much you had to work with and where you lived. I had intended to buy it again a year ago or so, but was saddened to realize I couldn't recall the name and couldn't seem to find it without it. I miss that book...
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: October 23, 2018, 11:16:19 am »

Back from Vegas and back to reality.
Ugh.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: October 23, 2018, 02:42:58 pm »

There is one lecturer we have that loves his 9am slots.

And he's wondering why it is that fewer and fewer people are attending the lectures.

Well gee, maybe because the people you're teaching are students and getting up at 8 to get washed, dressed, fed, etc. is basically akin to asking an adult to get up at 5am for something that is, technically, voluntary.

Anyway, while I've attended all of them (bar one because I'd found it impossible to get to sleep the night before), they kill me for the rest of the day. If that's the only lecture, it's fine. If there's more than that one, I might as well not be there for the rest.
Ha! Tell me about it. I have a lecture at 8:30 and I just find it crazy that they expect us to wake up so early.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: October 23, 2018, 07:42:51 pm »

I used to get horrific bruises on my forearms until they got used to it. When you get good at those you can basically club the other guy's arms to pieces while blocking.

Point: I never got that consistently good at them. My poor arms :3
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: October 23, 2018, 08:55:04 pm »

Several discoveries have been made by me.

1) Jitsu can be painful. Today we did arm/wristlocks. One of them involved blocking the attacker's forearm with your forearms. Forearms were NOT made for that level of constant abuse, and mine are very sensitive.
2) The washing up powder I bought has "Colour enhancers". See: Dye. Fortunately, I had some vanish that worked VERY well on it, and the store has an "unsatisfied return" policy.
3) Hand washing a gi is far more labour intensive than I anticipated.
4) Hand drying a gi to the point of being able to be hang dried is far more labour intensive than I anticipated
5) MY FOREARMS AAAAAAAAARGH

greatorder on his way to becoming a real stronk jujitsu man. I'm so proud.

I started reading a book on Aikido, and it's just real interesting.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: October 24, 2018, 01:53:14 am »

The only winning move is not to play. And then laugh at the poor fool who just knocked himself over.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: October 24, 2018, 05:57:04 am »

Well, today may as well have never happened as far as I am concerned.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: October 24, 2018, 06:06:21 am »

Welp last night preferably wouldn't have happened, I just drank and talked increasingly angry politics with a friend.  Arguably a loss, and it's 7AM.

Tomorrow I'm baling hay, woo.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: October 24, 2018, 06:54:07 am »

Most of this year may as well not have happened, really, with a few notable exceptions.
Damnit, 2018, I had such high hopes for you! Things started off so well! Where did we go wrong? :-\   

Tomorrow I'm doing a variety of stupid bullshit. I think I might have a beer or two* and binge-listen to Townes Van Zandt before... well, I should probably get some sleep I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWq2JPTBWxo

* I'd have picked a higher number, but I have only two beers left.    
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: October 24, 2018, 08:27:06 am »

How are they hitting you? Is it supposed to be a straight block, or are you meant to deflect it, and they're just hitting you with a shitton of force?

Be sure to eat right btw, can't fight if you have a shit diet.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: October 24, 2018, 11:43:05 am »

And then savagely yank it around a bit to make sure your zap the fight out of em.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: October 24, 2018, 11:49:51 am »

One of the things I kinda took issue with during my attempt at the one jiujitsu dojo down the way, was how they were practicing defense against groin kicks.

The technique was: bend forward, swing one hand across (inwards) in an attempt to grab the foot, then lift the grabbed foot. I mean, lifting grabbed feet is all well and fine, but as practicing the move showed; you're most likely just going to swat the leg and bend your own damn fingers backwards.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: October 24, 2018, 02:44:42 pm »

Yeah, basic principle of whatsit: Don't block a hard object with a soft object. Hands count as soft objects, unless you're doing some weird Iron Hand stuff that's actually accomplished more than just breaking all your fingers.

They also specifically stated that they were training to improve their competitive form, as a sport. Which, y'know, is fine and all... But not really what I was after, personally.

Damn it, there's a clip somewhere out there where someone filmed a bunch of kids practicing in the street behind some apartment building, and the teacher is this balding middle-aged dude wearing a wifebeater and smoking a cigarette... But of course now I can't find it within the SEA of terrible YouTube martial arts clickbait.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: October 24, 2018, 03:20:06 pm »

I'm not sure who would think to try to grab a kick to the groin. My first reaction would be to... turn sideways so it just hits your thigh? Move backwards so they whiff? Just throwing out ideas here, I'm not Bruce Lee.

Though I think that that Jitsu class is really cool greatorder, I wish I had something like that easily accessible near me. There's an old master that owns his own gym, but I haven't even been able to get into his building because he has odd hours and only does private lessons. There's an MMA style gym, but it doesn't really work with my schedule. There's a boxing gym, but I went to their location and it's apparently in a creepy, repurposed part of an abandoned building and I don't even know if they really exist. Everything else in my area is basically for children, with the tiny gi's and everything.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: October 25, 2018, 04:06:11 am »

First snow. It's pretty, but not being able to take a bike to school is going to severely slow me down.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 779