Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I Just Realized: Not Smart to Train with Masterwork Obsidian Swords  (Read 5263 times)

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I Just Realized: Not Smart to Train with Masterwork Obsidian Swords
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 01:16:00 pm »

The fact that we'll be able to mark weapons for sparring -and they will use only those- is topping my list of most awaited feature in the new version. Those wooden weapons the elves sometimes bring will be so much more useful. Also, copper. Gotta love copper.

Your carpenter will be able to make them too,  so you don't have to withhold that magma from your good elf neighbors.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 02:09:50 pm »

I guess they didn't ... make the cut.

YEEEAAAAAH!
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 04:06:13 pm »

Thanks for doing it with images and style, Danjen! :)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 05:53:49 pm »

Sharp wit has caused many more deaths than any mere sword >_>

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 05:56:07 pm »

Sharp wit has caused many more deaths than any mere sword >_>
Unlike a sword, though, a sharp wit tends to get the user killed.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 06:28:00 pm »

Actually, this sounds like an AWESOME way to train swordsdwarves.

A huge migrant wave comes in. Have them train with obsidian swords until you've either gotten the number down to a more managable number of a champion emerges.

Strip the winner(s) of their swords and put them back through the standard "wrestling & armor training).

Bam, a battlehardened dwarf out of an army of useless migrants. Sounds like an awesome trade :D
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 07:20:33 pm »

Bam, a battlehardened dwarf out of an army of useless migrants. Sounds like an awesome trade :D

Given that I often abandon a fort when I get a wave of immigrants that I don't know what to do with, this could be win-win.

As for possible tantrum spirals, I couldn't figure out why in the midst of all my mismanagement and the lack of amenities, everyone remains ecstatic all the time.  Turns out the never ending party going on by the beachside well is exposing all the dwarves to constant mist from the waves.  I'm picturing everyone just spending all their time drunk on the beach, so they don't even care if they don't have beds or a dining room.

It makes the aqueduct mist generator machine I built later kind of redundant, but it does have a nice side effect:  the return flow of water from the machine drops from 2Z levels up right over the well; the force fo the water regularly knocks partying dwarves off into the water.  I just need to build a mist generator over the barracks now.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 07:24:29 pm »

A possible variation on the migrants-to-veteran equation...

Put a stockpile of swords (and possibly shields, if you're into that) outside.  Then place a weapon rack or something that can set up a sparring area outside (might need a roof, can't say I remember).

When a migrant wave comes, draft them all and make them fight to the death.  The winner will be allowed into the fort as a full-blooded citizen.

Come next season, the migrants will pluck the weapons from the corpses of the dead and start the cycle over again.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 07:40:11 pm »

I recently learned this valuable lesson as well. All the leather and bone armor in the world wasn't saving them from each other. Hell even after upgrading them to iron and steel the injuries kept flooding the barracks. Never mind all the wrestling training they had already had. I'd never seen so many friendly inflicted spinal injuries. And then I saw some more, and then some more...

Training with masterwork obsidian swords is a great way to increase the Fortress Guard.

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2010, 07:47:07 pm »

I guess they didn't ... make the cut.
I guess they got the chop.
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2010, 07:59:58 pm »

Even with good armour and a low-quality silver spear, my dwarves are cursed to either get brain damage before they reach Competent level, or a stab in the heart and die.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2010, 08:21:41 pm »

A huge migrant wave comes in. Have them train with obsidian swords until you've either gotten the number down to a more managable number of a champion emerges.

Strip the winner(s) of their swords and put them back through the standard "wrestling & armor training).

...I gotta get out of this forum!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 08:44:26 pm »

My military training is survival of the fittest. I toss dwarves into the barracks with a weapon and shield, and if they kill each other so be it. It will weed out the weak. No mercy.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2010, 08:50:15 pm »

...I gotta get out of this forum!

You cannot leave! You are one of us now! *puts on black robe* One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us!
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 09:11:48 pm »

Gooble Gobble! Gooble Gobble! One of Us! One of Us!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4