Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3564249 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: BBBBEEEEPPPPPP Edition
« Reply #7605 on: November 06, 2011, 01:44:31 pm »

Usually, they're trying to prime you for the more complex technique you'll need to solve an extension of the same problem, or so that it will be particularly easy to pick up theory later.

Math is kind of one of those things where, no matter how you teach it, your student is going to have to do most of the work herself.  Everyone will pick up something different from the lecture and need something different in terms of book-work.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7606 on: November 07, 2011, 05:54:07 am »

Let me give you all a window into the last 36 hours of my life.

My father called up wanting to visit me on Saturday because he's trying to quit smoking pot and get a job, so he's bored and irritable, and apparently his subconscious has turned him into an alcoholic to make up the difference.  Which is fine, I know all his buttons by now.  He's also suddenly picked up this weird fascination with getting me to join the Air Force, after he raised me my whole life ranting and raving about how much he hated serving the Navy.

Anyway, in the space of about six hours with no food, between the two of us we consumed a pint and a half of whiskey, a six pack of Guinness Extra Stouts, and half a dirtweed joint (woo, I'm edgy on the Internet).  Yes, he's been trying to quit, and that was supposedly his first one in six weeks (and since I only smoke with him, at least a couple months for me), and it says good things that it's obviously a psychological and not chemical dependence.  All he has to do is hold the thing and it works fine.  Osmosis at work.  But that being said, we were both drunk as Hell, and for the first time in my life, we each actually laid down on the porch to enjoy the breeze in lieu of staggering inside.  For a few minutes anyway.  Then we crashed on couches (every home should have at least two).  He woke up again at 1AM (or 2AM, Daylight Savings and all) and drove home, I puttered around and tried to go back to sleep.  Until 6AM, due to a pounding headache.

Then I woke up at 9AM, because my mother is on vacation and left her dog at a kennel, and tasked me with going to pick it up for her and watch it for a day.  I drive over there and am told I wasn't due until after noon.  So I make two trips to the kennel.  Dog shits on the floor twice, and you have no idea what dogshit smells like with a hangover, but otherwise the day goes smoothly.

Work tonight, I get caught up in fuckin' drama with this coworker who wants to get fired and is trying to rope me into her schemes, and other people being lazy and goddammit will you all just stop being fucking children and try to slack off like normal people.  Also my back hurts.

Driving home from work, night like any other night, and for the first time in seven years of driving, I get a flat tire on the highway.  Even in the middle of the night, I have to fight my way across five lanes through dumbass people trying to cause traffic to bail, and get the distinct impression that I may have irrevocably fucked up that wheel.  Probably not, but the tire has to be a ($150) loss because rubber doesn't fold like that, even though it looks fine now.  Now, I have AAA Roadside, good for one free tow a year, but I think, "I'm a hardened young man with automotive knowhow, time to prove it and change a wheel like you're supposed to."  That all goes amazingly smooth.  Except the spare is flat too.

FUCK

Roadside assistance it is.  I have to call the number three times because the automation is a load of shit, before I finally get a live operator from the bottom of a mineshaft.  Cue a solid ten minutes of teaching this chick how to use Google Maps to figure out where the Hell I am.  Phonecall concluded at 3AM - ETA to service truck 3:40AM.  Are you shitting me?  I walk to the corner store a few blocks down for a Mountain Dew and a guy in a cowboy hat follows me exactly twenty paces behind the whole way to the car.  I think he was just drunk and going the same direction, but thank God for tire irons.

The one bright spot is the towtrucker showing up a half-hour early, and turned out to be a great guy - an older black gentleman wearing bowling shoes, who loved my car (damn straight).  Fully competent at his job, just slightly forgetful.  Like completely securing the chains before hitting Irving Boulevard's world famous potholes.  I swear my car is alive, because I saw it do a goddamn handstand back there without losing its grip.  The guy also could not grasp the concept that I happened to pull over on the very same road that I live on, five miles down, and also could not grasp me repeatedly pointing at my house as we sailed past.

Oh well.  All that's done, and the car is home in one piece... Except only then do I remember that I have to be able to use the driveway later today.  So I now have to choose between staying awake the rest of the morning and using my mother's car that I'm watching to take my tires down to the shop, or risk destroying my spare by backing up and driving into the yard to save the chore for later in the day.

Jesus H Fucking Christ, I just want to goof off and chill and shut this damn dog up and have a car I don't have to worry about.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7607 on: November 07, 2011, 10:18:12 am »

The guy in the cowboy hat was meeeeeeee.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: November 07, 2011, 10:21:15 am »

and it says good things that it's obviously a psychological and not chemical dependence.
Is actually true. It's reasoned that it's because it builds up into tissues and gets released over time.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: November 07, 2011, 10:36:04 am »

Oh well.  All that's done, and the car is home in one piece... Except only then do I remember that I have to be able to use the driveway later today.  So I now have to choose between staying awake the rest of the morning and using my mother's car that I'm watching to take my tires down to the shop, or risk destroying my spare by backing up and driving into the yard to save the chore for later in the day.

I went with option one, and sleep deprivation nearly caused me some problems before I got a handle on it.  Then I accidentally but not really cut off a guy in a BMW, who proceeded to follow me for a mile right on my ass flashing his headlights.  Dude, calm the fuck down.

Then I thought I was going to get pulled over thrice because my mother never renews her stickers until they're a year out of date, but that didn't happen.  Manny, Moe, and Jack continue to be a trusted and friendly name in auto service, and a hundred bucks later (GGGGGRRRHG) I'm on the road again.  With a new pocket tire gauge that actually works.

The guy in the cowboy hat was meeeeeeee.

Boy are you lucky I didn't go for broke then.  It crossed my mind as I was watching you, does it count as mugging if I'm being mugged first?  I mean, it'll be his word against mine...
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: November 07, 2011, 11:03:41 am »

Kweh

Man

Too fucking tired and exhausted and hate this life right now.  I really sincerely need about a week off or five... I'm skipping the weekly essay due for my introductory rhetoric course this morning because the professor drops the lowest three, which is going to end up lowering my homework grade by 2% or summat.

*sigh*

I just don't want to write any more essays, though.  I'm tired!  And cold.  And my 3-day weekend is going to have to be spent trying to get ahead, again.  I'm so sick of this...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: November 07, 2011, 11:58:39 am »

Aqizzar, you made those mundane events sound like a motherfucking ADVENTURE~

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7612 on: November 07, 2011, 02:45:20 pm »

I like to think that the man following Aqizzar was really a hitman out to kill him, and an epic carchase followed.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: November 07, 2011, 06:38:37 pm »

I aim to please folks.  Whatever story you have, make it a good one.

Manny, Moe, and Jack continue to be a trusted and friendly name in auto service, and a hundred bucks later (GGGGGRRRHG) I'm on the road again.  With a new pocket tire gauge that actually works.

Thinking I needed another tire aired up at least, I went down to a local place in the barrio to have the front tires looked at.  Manuel, Martin, and Jose deliver equally good service after all, with no offer of warranty but I never buy warranties anyway.

The first tire the pry off looks like it should have blown up getting down the driveway.  All the damage to every tire was on the inside rim, so you can't see it without taking the wheel off.  Had to get my mother to give me a lift, since it would be an hour for them to get three for me.  As always, there is nothing I can say to my mother in any tone of voice that doesn't make her think I have an attitude problem, but as long as I get her talking about herself, everything is cool.

An hour later, my car drives noticeably better.  Between the one this morning and the very reasonable service now, I have four new tires, for about $450 that I wasn't expecting to spend when I woke up at 9AM yesterday.  And I had to get a money order to pay my student loans.  Hooray, what a productive day of throwing money at problems.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7614 on: November 09, 2011, 02:23:15 am »

The remake of QF2. Brilliant game, brilliant remake, a true piece of RPG gold.

Except I can't get it to function 100% for the fucking life of me. I know how it's supposed to function, because I've played through it once before, but on Win 7 it's fucking up left and right. 2 hours wasted trying to get the game to play at the correct speed in combat, which is really difficult without crippling frame rate and input lag. Finally I get the speed to the point where I think I can muddle through the combat portions to finish....and then the fence for the thief class bugs out when you try to sell her the loot.

This marks the second time I've tried to finish the damn game so I can move on with character save to QFG3. The fact the game worked flawlessly on XP is the only reason I'm not on their forums posting up a shit storm. Ironically, as I run into the problems with the quest giver, the game's speed suddenly ups itself to normal levels. Fucking A QF2, work with me here!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: November 09, 2011, 05:00:53 pm »

LOGIC DOES NOT BELONG THERE! YOU MUST BURY YOUR LOGIC DEEP WITHIN YOUR DOMAAAAAAAIN!!!
Fucking ass holes putting shit in the GUI of applications, so when I am left to pick up the pieces the entire thing is worse than starting from scratch.
You, yes you! If you ever put your logic in the GUI of anything that is not just some personal past time hobby that nobody else will ever see, I will hunt you down and butcher you with a slide rule, you hear me? A SLIDE RULE!!!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7616 on: November 09, 2011, 06:46:21 pm »

I missed a physics lab and the numbers I got to do it with don't work. They are so wrong. I don't even know.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: November 09, 2011, 08:49:43 pm »

LOGIC DOES NOT BELONG THERE! YOU MUST BURY YOUR LOGIC DEEP WITHIN YOUR DOMAAAAAAAIN!!!
Fucking ass holes putting shit in the GUI of applications, so when I am left to pick up the pieces the entire thing is worse than starting from scratch.
You, yes you! If you ever put your logic in the GUI of anything that is not just some personal past time hobby that nobody else will ever see, I will hunt you down and butcher you with a slide rule, you hear me? A SLIDE RULE!!!
Sorry for asking, but what does adding logic to a GUI cause?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: November 09, 2011, 08:55:01 pm »

It means you have to figure out someone's logic in what should be an easily extensible and understandable part of the program, the GUI. I think he's angry about bad encapsulation.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: November 09, 2011, 10:37:53 pm »

Sorry for asking, but what does adding logic to a GUI cause?
Imagine your computer and keyboard. Now, imagine instead of a cpu, your computer is made up of about 100 small circuit boards, each attached to the bottom of a key. Each circuit board then does everything necessary for that key's input, but can neither deal with, nor do anything about, any of the input from any other keys. While this example isn't entirely enlightening, I think it will at least help convey just how convoluted doing anything in such a system in which GUI is tied directly to logic.
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 3345