Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702323 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7065 on: October 01, 2013, 03:08:30 pm »

Mhm. Well I suppose considering what you had said on it I probably should have guessed that earlier. Though now I kinda want to design a full on Jojo RTD. Once I'm done with my current projects of course.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7066 on: October 01, 2013, 05:14:33 pm »

Wow... it's actually capable of handling (1d4)d4, I'm shocked.
And actually rolling it, very impressive.

Wow I hadn't gotten around to trying multiplication operations. They produce some gnarly graphs!
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7067 on: October 01, 2013, 08:39:34 pm »

I kind of want to do a Strike Witches esque game... kinda.

Throw in a system for not only changing and improving weapons, but also over-armor, combination attacks, and upgrades to base "plane".

You'd start off with a basic "model", which determines combat role and abilities. This is designated in the aircraft style of letter/numbers affixed to the name of the "plane".
So, let's say I wanted to be a Bomber. Bombers aren't fast, but can equip heavy weapons and get bonuses against ground targets.

If I was the first player to sign on as a Bomber, I would be a B1, followed by a name I chose for myself. Later Bombers would be a B2, B3, etc.

There is a levelling system- this will allow me to increase or improve my abilities, or change around bonuses my normal suit gives, or gain a new denomination. Let's say I'm level 3, since I have 2 abilities of my own class, I may now gain one from another class. I choose Jamming, an Electronic skill. I'm now a "B1E". You may only take skills from up to 2 other classes, you may not have greater or equal numbers of subclass skills than you have your own.

Weapons aren't really hashed out yet.
 They can be Light, Medium, or Heavy, and have various attributes that affect what they can target at all, what they can hit accurately, and what they're good at damaging. A missile launcher may be homing, allowing it to hit other airborne targets, but they could also be guided, which cannot hit enemy aircraft. Sometimes they can be aimed at enemy aircraft, but are unlikely to hit.

Over Armor is a temporary overlay for your common battle suit. It can't be used all the time, and is generally only given at mission start. It's customizable as to exactly what it does, and can have weapons mounted to it.

Combination attacks are combinations between different base classes (a B1E and a B2 cannot combo, but a B1E and a E1 can, as well as a B1E and a F1E, or F1B. So long as the first letter does not match.

Combination attacks are high risk, high reward. If your combined rolls can beat a single enemy roll, you'll do extra damage and both get an attack in. Fail, and you'll be heavily damaged.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7068 on: October 03, 2013, 08:41:18 am »

Is there a particular reason no one has run a dating sim rtd yet?

So I have addressed this problem, as well as the under-representation of ladypigeon characters on this board, here.

Either it will be a success, I won't have enough time for it, or I will reveal what are the particular reasons for which no one should run a dating sim rtd.

((edit: Yes, I am shamelessly advertising my own game, because I have just finished genning the NPCs and I am pretty excited at the results: crikey))
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:43:18 am by lawastooshort »

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7069 on: October 03, 2013, 12:45:21 pm »

Anyone else think reviving the rtd testing thread would be a good idea? Lot of new threads I see lately say "this is mostly just a test" or something like that.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7070 on: October 03, 2013, 12:48:37 pm »

That would be indeed good. I had a similar idea, though how would it work precisely?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7071 on: October 03, 2013, 12:54:01 pm »

This be the one. It was pretty useful, so I concur with getting it running again.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7072 on: October 03, 2013, 12:55:09 pm »

It was kind of a mess to have more than one or two tests going on in it at once, so we'd probably have gms reserve it for a week or two like in succession games. Ideally people would finish early and test smaller portions of their games. Designing new combat systems comes to mind.

Edit: A new thread for it would probably be a good idea for the same reason.

Editing again to avoid spam: I don't really have time to run a thread like that though. Whoever does it is going to have to be willing to regularly update the first post.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 02:51:49 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7073 on: October 03, 2013, 12:59:35 pm »

I would be interested in such an exercise. The idea is sound.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7074 on: October 05, 2013, 10:27:21 pm »

I would be interested in such an exercise. The idea is sound.

I'd use it. I just don't have the energy/necessary motivation to resurrect my old testing thread and re-purpose it. Renting the thread does seem a much more sound idea than colorizing though.

And now for something completely different.

I've been working on a series of races that are different from the usual Human-Elf-Dwarf-Orc-Goblin-Demon-Angel stuff, so over the process of several months and a couple projects I created the following playable races. Humans are still in, because you kinda need humans to provide a dipstick.

Would anyone actually play as these?

Spoiler:  Human (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Aoul (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Mutei (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Kadi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Bale (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Drogue (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Fanai (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Keelai (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Sal-Leifnin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Temani (click to show/hide)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7075 on: October 05, 2013, 10:39:25 pm »

Some sever derailment going on in RtD/R/D/D right now. Lead by temporary invisibility GM, me, a campaign of knot tying, slaying of cyborg witches, and a knight made of living slade is taking place while our standard GM is occupied with a massive illustration. Rerailment will surely take place when he finishes, but it's been interesting so far.

So if anyone comes up with a setting where it's possible to be or find a cyborg witch, let me know when they start that game so I may join? And I will turn someone into slade in your game, I will make sure of it.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7076 on: October 05, 2013, 10:40:35 pm »

By massive, flabort means that mastahcheese's literally drawing a planet in hex format.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7077 on: October 06, 2013, 12:13:57 am »

By massive, flabort means that mastahcheese's literally drawing a planet in hex format.
Oh god, it's taking so long.

It'll be so worth it, though, not even including bragging rights.

EDIT: Flabort, you're so lucky I was bored and decided to read through the last two pages. (normally I skip through because this goes so fast.)

:( Too bad it ended so soon. Mastahcheese, if you see this, how's the sequel coming (1/10s of a second turns you said?)?
The sequel idea is done, it's just that actually fleshing it out will take some time in order to add in all of the movesets.

BY THE WAY. Does anyone have any good links to pages that describe the fighting moves of various martial arts styles?
I've looked them up on Wikipedia, and while it's great at explaining the ideology behind the styles, it sucks hard on giving me information that I could use in designing a game.

The only page that did a usable job of giving me move ideas is the page of Savate, which is French kick-boxing, so I could make just that style to do some tests with it, but I'd like more than just one style.

Eventually, I'd like to add in a ton of styles, because I'm a huge martial arts fan.

But basically the way the game would work is that there would be absolutely no dice, each attack would be set in different frames of animation, effectively, so a single attack would normally take anywhere from 3 to 7 turns, mostly automated once you begin the move, so many turns could pass before you can act again.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:26:35 am by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7078 on: October 06, 2013, 03:24:43 pm »

I kind of want a schizo-tech Pirate game. I have ideas, but nothing's solid enough to really work, yet anyway...

The idea is, everyone's in large ships. The highest technological achievement for the ships are ironsides, though there are plenty of things that never actually existed- you might wind up with the chance to have a Scorpion or Switchblade ship, where a massive engine swings a giant scythe down in front of your ship, or in the case of a switchblade, two come from the hull of the ship.

People on board, however, have today's technology. On every ship is the Perpetual Engine, allowing the ship to generate it's own electricity- PCs can have anything from a personal fridge to a gaming console, however, there is no internet on the high seas.

Primarily, players start in a randomly generated ship with three stats: Masts, Cargo, and Cannons. Each is the number of items a ship has- a ship with two masts, four cannons, and a single Cargo space is likely going to be a hit-and-run style ship, and a ship with four masts, four cannons, and four cargo space is the best "normal" ship possible.

Cannons are simple: roll a d6. If the result is a 4,5, or 6, you land a hit. A 2 or 3 is a miss. A 1 is a jam, and the cannon cannot fire next turn. These cannons can be modified, but a single ship may not have more than one type of cannon. For instance, you might replace your cannons with one that hits only on a 5 or 6 but never jams.

Masts are also simple. When your ship takes a hit, it loses a mast. If it has no more masts, it cannot move. If it takes a hit when she has no more masts, she's sunk. You can fix masts by visiting your home island, paying for repairs at an inhabited island, or with certain kinds of crew members when stopped at any of these locations as well as wild islands (more on islands later).

Cargo space. Also simple. Each 1 space can hold 4 treasure items, or 1 special item. Treasure items are items that only exist to be sold/are money, special items may be large sums of money that take up lots of space or offer some effect to your ship.

---

Next, there's Crew. Players can choose what type of crew they are, with certain exceptions.

Captain: There can only be one Captain per ship. So long as the Captain is alive, any purchases at the Home Island are free.
Man (Woman) at Arms: This class of pirate is trained with more weapons than the average pirate and is more capable in combat (+1 to deck combat)
Appraiser: This class of pirate knows what things are worth, and how to talk up their value. Treasure items worth 1 point are now worth 2 while on the ship/being traded from it, and all unique treasures are +1 value.
Shipwright: Can repair one mast when docked, cannot use this ability again until repaired at an island.
Ballistae: One cannon gets +1 when firing. This effect may not stack, but may apply to different cannons.
... probably others.

Islands can be Home, Civilized, or Wild. In addition to this, you may encounter Micro Islands, other Ships, and Events.

You start at your home island, and have a map of other islands nearby. They are anywhere from 1 to 10 days away.

Each day, you have a 1/10 chance of encountering another ship, a 1/50 chance of finding a micro island (one time only, can't travel back), and a 1/100 chance of encountering an Event. Ships encountered have a 1/4th chance of being instantly hostile (and a 1/4th chance of being a pacifist). Micro islands contain treasure, of varying quality. Events have a 50/50 chance of being bad or good.

Civilized islands also have such a chance to have different things happen. Most of the time, they just trade. There's equal chances of them having something good or bad, like so:
2/100 chance of major good or bad (free repair, or other free items, or crew is known wanted, 1-3 members are jailed)
18/100 chance of good/bad (higher price paid for treasure/port is closed)
30/100 chance of minor good/bad (better/worse repair rate)
30/100 chance for a random quest
20/100 chance of nothing
---

All players would share a ship, the main goal of which is to find the legendary Gold Isle. It might be possible to have many different groups for multiple player ships, all starting within the same distance from their target and told a general direction, or possibly a different objective.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: October 06, 2013, 04:49:31 pm »

I can't remember if I posted this before: http://anydice.com/

It's an awesome resource for developing mechanics. As far as I can tell you can graph the results of any possible dice operation.

Do crits come too often or too seldom? What's the median damage for that monster? How often will actions fail with a modifier of X? Now you know.
Late to this, but ooh.

Wow... it's actually capable of handling (1d4)d4, I'm shocked.
OOH.

Anyone else think reviving the rtd testing thread would be a good idea? Lot of new threads I see lately say "this is mostly just a test" or something like that.
Considering that half of my games are tests for the other half and newer batches of the first half of my games, I suspect I would be well-suited to making such a thing.

Maintaining and updating it possibly less so, but it'd probably help that I'd always have use for it. Thoughts? Features it should have? Insistence that I let somebody else do it instead of making a test test thread to better refine my future test threads?

So if anyone comes up with a setting where it's possible to be or find a cyborg witch, let me know when they start that game so I may join? And I will turn someone into slade in your game, I will make sure of it.
Well now I know what I'm adding to my next game. Good luck though, it's not a mage game.

I kind of want a schizo-tech Pirate game. I have ideas, but nothing's solid enough to really work, yet anyway...
You have too many good ideas. Have you considered putting them all in a pot and making Space Pirate Strike Witch Mechs RTD?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 661