Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261922 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12480 on: September 22, 2017, 11:57:08 am »

I played on a bay12 server hosted by GG at some point, the issue with public servers is I think, progress between people changes rapidly. If you don't all play at the same time and together you rapidly distance from each other, and people are going to be ready for hard mode at different times then others, and then in hard mode various events will be unlocked before others are ready. It sorta actually sucks. Building stuff together is cool though.
This is it basically.

I find MP in this worthless unless you're doing it with friends who all sync up at the same time.

A single world doesn't have enough shit to split with many players, especially if some of them just blitz through everything in 2 hours. And you know they will. They always will.

Every "public" server will have:

1. A guy bringing in massively overlevelled shit
2. People blitzing the game and unlocking all the hardmode shit so no other new player can join
3. People blitzing every single chest on the map
4. Some bugger cheating his arse off for stuff

It's not fun for anyone joining late or anyone who isn't actively doing one of the above.

It's much more fun to just MP with friends and then when you are all done, just shut down the server so everyone can be on the same field later.

---------

But at the same time, shit like this came from the early Bay12 servers:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12481 on: September 22, 2017, 05:36:33 pm »

One way I got around that was to have two servers. One was locked to pre-hardmode and wouldn't progress to hardmode even if you killed the wall. The other started in hardmode. People could move between them as they wished. It wasn't perfect but it worked okay. I think I also had a third building world or something

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12482 on: September 22, 2017, 08:26:01 pm »

true that, even trying to set a server with friends is complicated.

speaking of news regarding the game. the devs put a thread in the forum looking for testers. also, it seems they want to consolidate the game across all platforms. the first step will be bringing console to 1.3, removing the console only content.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:28:32 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12483 on: September 23, 2017, 03:29:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

now that the base is more or less ready i've started doing housing for the rest of the NPCs. the demolitionist house was one of the easiest. now im saving on wood for making the Dryad's tree. i've already doen the base trunk and the bathroom and bedroom.  gonna finish the tree with a beehive and some stuff in the upper part of it.

already farmed enough materials for the goblin battle standard to summon the army. but i want to get platinum armor before that. gold is good but 4 points in defense are a must. so while i wait for trees to grow and the crimson to expand further where i planted it im exploring the jungle.

i've found a lot of stuff there and the slime mount has been really usefull in surviving the falls. the jungle has a huge opening near the middle of it and links 3 open spaces that go down to the cavern layer so i've been putting platforms on it to make an Arena. there's also a beehive and 2 jungle shrines. from those i got feral claws, the bee crafting station, a godly staff of regrowth and the living mahogany tools. havent found the anklet or the boomstick.

with that terrain i should be able to make an arena for Plantera. the beewhive should be a really usefull addition during the fight. oh, im also looking for heart/star statues. havent found anything yet.

EDIT:

spent the last remaining bait to farm variegated lardfish. got 2 jungle crates and 1 golden crate among other stuff. and turns out the jungle temple is right below the arena. WTF with this world.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:29:40 pm by xaritscin »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12484 on: September 23, 2017, 04:54:30 pm »

I've been doing an expert mode run.

So far I aquired full molten armor and 180 HP before doing any bosses. Also, enough unused heart crystals to max my health.

Turns out the eye is a massive pushover with bone javelins, molten armor, and (pre-hardmode) max health, even on expert mode... Now it is time to take on the eater for the first time ever (I always ended up with crimson worlds before)...

Expert mode really isn't that hard if you stay out of narrow tunnels in the underworld. Damn fire imps and bone serpents are the worst. Getting that hell stone was an exercise in die-and-retry.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12485 on: September 23, 2017, 05:17:44 pm »

Yeah, one would expect the first boss of the game to be a bit of a pushover when you get end-tier equipment before attempting it. :P
Black lives matter.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12486 on: September 23, 2017, 05:25:35 pm »

I think the hard part of expert mode comes from the bosses, more or less. Pretty much any basic enemy can be cheesed or avoided because of their lack of complex patterns (especially pre hard mode, where there isn't a lot that goes though walls). Sequence breaking tier progression with the shark should render the first couple of bosses very easy as well, so it sounds like you've skipped the hard parts of expert mode so far, not that that's a bad thing, but I'm not sure if you can say that you find expert mode too easy quite yet. Not that it's amazingly hard, just that you've not see the hard bits of it yet. None of the bosses were amazingly difficult to beat, they are more like puzzles then skill tests... I think I probably struggled the most with skeletron or skeletron prime. See how you feel after Skeletron I guess is what I'm saying...

Although that's an interesting question, what bosses do people find the hardest with appropriate gear? Like I said, in my opinion the skeletrons are, but I'm interested in what others think. Maybe some of the pillars without end game gear I'd also put out as "hard to survive against" but then again you don't have to survive them to win.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:28:26 pm by Criptfeind »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12487 on: September 23, 2017, 07:04:05 pm »

I always had the most trouble with the Eye of Cthulhu and especially the Twins. The Eye is pretty much skippable (unless it randomly shows up, in which case you hide underground for a bit) because it doesn't drop anything important, but the Twins block progression and are always a pain to beat. I usually end up running at least halfway across a small-sized world and back while I fight them.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Pajama Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Easy to Please
    • View Profile
    • Pajama Knight's Blog
« Reply #12488 on: September 23, 2017, 07:10:32 pm »

The Twins.

So long as I use my arena I can completely destroy any of the hard mode bosses (Pre-cultist) on Expert except the Twins. I need to buff myself through the roof and even with five heart generators running, campfires everywhere, heart lanterns, food, etc, I come out with less than a hundred health after every battle. It's kind of funny that the Hard Mode version of the easiest boss is the hardest one for me.

I'm sure now that I've killed the Golem a few times they'll be easier, but I won't bother unless I need more souls.
Providing an opinion on things in desperate need of an opinion since 1989.

Pajama Knight's Blog - Videos, Games, and Musings

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12489 on: September 23, 2017, 07:14:27 pm »

I...have yet to kill a single hard mode boss. I don't know if my arena-building skills are just too poor for the task or if I'm just not good enough at maneuvering, but I can't handle them.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12490 on: September 23, 2017, 07:22:02 pm »

I think I first beat the Twins using an arena off the ground consisting of several platform cells, and a spot with a campfire, heart lamp, and a honey pool for healing. I believe I had wings, grappling hook, a Megashark, and a good pile of HV ammo, I forget what armor. I also had the Golden Shower, and that rod that drops from the Crimson's hearts that casts a rain cloud(there's a non-Crimson one).

Focus on one at a time. You might also consider building lodgings in the arena for the Nurse and Dryad. The Dryad buff's defense, the Nurse keeps all three of you alive(hopefully).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12491 on: September 23, 2017, 07:28:47 pm »

I did the expert-mode Twins with that reverse gravity potion and just floated around the map. It was still hard, but I didn't need to build an arena for it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12492 on: September 23, 2017, 07:35:54 pm »

One thing I found that helped me out a great deal was actually the slime mount you get from King Slime.  The exceptional vertical movement and the (somewhat unreliable) head-bouncing both have aided me immensely when dealing with various boss beasties.  Particular help when dealing with Skeletron's dickery.. And the mount's great for dropping down hellevators too!

Also, I'm in a crimson world. Those early Brain of Cthulhu fights are... painful. It's no problem now that I've got pretty much the best gear pre-hardmode has to offer, but earlier on when the best stuff I had was meteorite armor and the spam gun, oof... Only takes a couple mistakes before that brain starts nibbling on you something fierce.

I'm just waiting to see what the wall fight is gonna be like. Uggh.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12493 on: September 23, 2017, 10:17:49 pm »

The hardest boss for me was Golem... Never did the duke or the moon lord.

The twins were trivial with my arena, which was nothing but a long runway at space level. Just run, jump to dodge, and fire behind you. The destroyer was the hardest mechanical, he was a pushover (just rain damage on him from above his reach), but the probes caused issues for some reason.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:20:10 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #12494 on: September 24, 2017, 12:00:42 am »

Moon Lord honestly feels like mostly a dps check.

Duke Fishron is the hardest boss by far IMO, especially on expert. He doesn't take prisoners.
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 887