Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261505 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12525 on: September 30, 2017, 12:40:29 pm »

got some more gravitation potions so i started probing the sky with an umbrella. no sky lakes, the only floating island i found didnt have any house. got the angler's hat, tackle box and high test fishing line, just a few closer of getting max fishing stuff. but some of the missions cannot be done because no water source for it.

havent done any NPC housing today, need to think on the design. meanwhile im farming hoplites for the gladiator armor. and waiting for those vile mushrooms to spawn while the corruption expands.  i may have to plant more trees anyway because the BoC arena will take a lot of wood to make and finishing the Dryad's tree left me with very few wood.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12526 on: September 30, 2017, 01:17:05 pm »

I have just "discovered" the best method for hellstone mining (I'm sure other have figured this out before).

Basically, you dig down, avoiding stone and magma till you get as low as you can go. Once there dig out the largest hole you can (use explosives to mine the bottom out if it already has some lava in it). There, now you have a place to drain lava as you dig upwards.

From here all you need to do is dig drains from each pocket you want to mine, and slowly work your way up. As long as you sump is large enough you should be able to dig all the hell stone in an area with no problems. If your sump is too small, you can make it bigger as you go up with very little effort.

It is a very rare ash pillar where you cannot reach the bottom, so this will almost always work great. Just don't breach one of the huge magma pockets! That will fill your sump beyond any hope of recovery...

My previous mining method was to dig small sumps as needed, and work my way down from the top. This often made it very hard to get the last few bits of hellstone.

Also: Arkhalis is very good for deleting bone serpents...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12527 on: September 30, 2017, 01:31:27 pm »

Arkhalis is just too good. reforged it to godly and i basically just stayed still while killing the Eater of Worlds. 1000 times better than spamming spiky balls, i just stayed in place and kept the attack up while the worm was focusing me. its a no brainer, i bet the Brain of Cthulhu will have the same issue. the weapon has enough knockback to keep it at bay while it kills the little eyes.

it will probably be usefull up to the Wall of Flesh. im calling it.

EDIT:

i fucking knew it, Brain of Cthulhu got rekt with Arkhalis too.  the seekers took a bit of time because they get knocked but it died as fast as the Eater of Worlds. so yeah, now i have crimson armor. gonna brew more potion stock for the Skeletron Fight. unless, i go for the Queen Bee  first since i want that Bee Gun...

EDIT 2:

added the deathweed planter boxes to the greenhouse. found some moonglow in the jungle along with the band of regeneration and another bee hive. there's very few open spaces on this jungle, most of it is a few passages. i've been also collecting statues this run, no heart or star statues yet. havent found a jungle shrine either. may have to go deeper. fortunately i got the Bezoar early this time, i've already reforged it for warding to replace another accesory, so i can go deeper without having to worry about those wasps. frankly, the jungle looses must of its difficulty when you have that and the Royal Gel since it negates the 2 most dangerous things on it, the wasps and the spiked slimes with poison.

i think im gonna explore the jungle until i get the items and the materials to build the arena there. just need a space open enough to make the arena fit both for the Queen Bee and for Plantera.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:41:36 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12528 on: September 30, 2017, 06:44:16 pm »

found two jungle shrines but only one got the anklet. with that i've completed the frostpark boots. also, there's at least 3 beehives from what i've explored so far. decided to open the one that was easier to reach (it was just in the floor of a tunnel, no water present). turned out to be perfect to do the arena, got some mahogany from the base and built the arena, didnt need honey or anything, a Godly Arkhalis and a Mythical Diamond Staff got the job done, i may have overused potions but now i have the most important herbs settled up in the greenhouse so now i can craft almost all the potions i need. except, maybe, thorns (because worm teeth are quite complicated to get anyways).

with that, the only pre-hardmode stuff im missing is probing the rest of the sky for good floating islands and lakes, along with defeating skeletron and entering the dungeon, then finally reach the underworld to prepare the WoF fight. this has been the best run so far.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12529 on: September 30, 2017, 07:44:55 pm »

I also just finished off Queen Bee.

Molten armor + All 5 acessories reforged to "warding" gives me 49 defense, and Arkhalis reforged to "Godly" gives ~300 DPS.

Queen Bee was much harder than the other bosses, but I still deleted her in short order with only moderate damage. No arena needed, just a few platforms to keep me from getting stuck in the honey.

EoW and EoC are so easy with this setup it isn't even funny. EoC can only do 1 damage per hit, and EoW is similar. All you need to do is stand in one place and hold your mouse button down. It is like fighting them in hardmode... Having really good gear is wonderful :)

It has been a long time since I did skeletron last, I can't really remember much about the fight. I wonder what he is like in expert mode? No amount of wiki reading can give you a good "feel" for a boss, so it is time to find out for myself. (I have a feeling he will be a bigger deal that queen bee.)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12530 on: September 30, 2017, 08:02:30 pm »

dont want to spoil anything about expert mode but Skeletron here requires proper preparation, not only he hits harder but its harder to crack and has a few new gimmicks to make the fight much more challenging.

molten armor for queen bee is a bit overkill but ok, you seem prepared to the end of pre-hardmode. i would really recommend making an arena for skeletron tho, im pretty sure Arkhalis and Molten Armor is good enough for killing it but with how buff he is in expert i i think you may want to have extra regen for the second stage of the fight.

EDIT:

ok i did some extra work while trying to get good modifiers in some equipment. added a small honey pool to the dungeon arena. and crafted some more extra potions like mana regen and magic power. also, used pink gel to make those hibrid potions. with that i was able to win against skeletron. allthought i had to kite a lot during the fight. the head can lock you hard. so yeah, now the only missing boss is the WoF and then i'll probably get rekt in hardmode. time will tell.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 11:25:17 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12531 on: October 01, 2017, 12:21:55 am »

raided the Dungeon the day after, found the muramasa, shadow key, cobalt shield, handgun among other stuff like the bewitching table and the alchemy station. i wish i could have gotten the magic missile but its ok, can find it later. the party girl, clothier and the arms dealer came after that so now im pretty much completed in terms of NPCs (pre-hardmode). now that almost all the map is open i think im gonna settle for a while. i havent got some of the stuff i need for hardmode, like the Nazar or the Shark Tooth Necklace.

also, i need to reforge the equipment, i want to empower the bee gun but i havent got it to mythical and the hive pack doesnt want to come with warding. the frostpark boots are also missing in modifier, and i still may need to get the Lava Waders, may have to start raiding other worlds since the radar is still missing and i havent found more water chests for the water walking boots. another thing missing is the Staff of Regrowth for herb harvesting and the materials for the diving equipment.

also, have to make the houses to organize the rest of the NPCs and finish the hellevator. so there's a lot of block harvesting to do. have to get really well prepared for this, Skeletron was quite hard with missing defense. now the WoF will be a nightmare if i dont get the place set up and have all the equipment in max defense and max damage.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:23:28 am by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12532 on: October 01, 2017, 12:01:55 pm »

is it normal that one biome biome chest doesnt appear? no, im not talking about corupt/crimson chest, im talking about the Jungle Chest. i made a second raid into the dungeon to explore it completely and get all the stuff i didnt drop before. but i couldnt find it. i may have not noticed it while moving throught the corridors but wanted to ask anyways.

only stuff im missing form the dungeon are the bone wand and the nazar. found plenty of statues but sadly, there wasnt any heart or star one. i also completed my gladiator set (yay!). i still need to get more gold for the reforging tho, spent a good deal of it on the obsidian shield but no warding modifier yet.

EDIT:

there's a sky lake a few tiles east of the Angler. the rope even aligned with another one i had set at the start of the run to bypass an elevation. so yeah, now i can get the horseshoe. i've also got some sonar potions so i went hunting for crates and damselfish. the place is low enough to not get harpies, but there's zombies and eyes during the night. only got red balloons from the sky crates tho, and have catched like 50 wooden crates but still no Radar.

the gold is being funneled into reforging but still no good results.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:50:33 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12533 on: October 01, 2017, 09:29:23 pm »

nvm with the question, this must be the weirdest worldgen thing i've seen. the jungle chest spawned above a corridor, i mean, its technically outside the dungeon. this will be interesting in hardmode. ok got 2 bone wands but still no nazar, farming the dungeon is such an interactive activity. and outside of this i have to go grind in the ocean for that diving helmet and jellyfish necklace.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12534 on: October 02, 2017, 01:09:13 pm »

yesterday i finally got the nazar. today i spent 9 crate potions along with assorted fishing related potions to farm crates, from all the sky crates got another baloon, 2 starfury and 2 lucky horseshoe. good. also, it took 20 wooden crates to get a single radar. rest is gonna be saved for hardmode. got a lot of iron and golden crates too. and the zephyr fish.

so now the only thing im missing to find is a set of water walking boots along with the jellyfish necklace and diving helmet.

EDIT:

nevermind, first small world i gen has a water chest midway in the jungle and find the boots, now i have a set of lava waders for harvesting hellstone and preparing the WoF fight.

now i just have to grind the materials for the diving gear
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:21:59 pm by xaritscin »

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #12535 on: October 02, 2017, 02:41:58 pm »

and outside of this i have to go grind in the ocean for that diving helmet and jellyfish necklace.

now i just have to grind the materials for the diving gear

Have you found a shark statue and/or a jellyfish statue?

Now that you've rescued the Mechanic, you can use statues to spawn them.

Edit: I suppose that you can do that even before buying the wiring tools, by installing a statue onto a preexisting dart trap.

Editē: Which explains a certain death-by-mimic that once happened to me before triggering hardmode.  Hmm.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:01:59 pm by 0x517A5D »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12536 on: October 02, 2017, 04:12:23 pm »

Yeah, one of the later updates now sets up statue traps in some of the underground cabins. Considering things like mimics and medusae can be statue-spawned before their time, this can be REALLY inconvenient if you happen to enjoy living.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12537 on: October 02, 2017, 05:21:13 pm »

This is why I compulsively steal every statue I can find. Statue gardens are a staple in my worlds.

In other news, Nymphs are a royal pain to find. Even with the lifeform analyzer in my possession, they never seem to show up. Maybe because my most accessible caverns are almost entirely ice, I don't know.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12538 on: October 02, 2017, 07:39:22 pm »

i thought you couldnt farm items from statue spawned mobs. the only statues i've wired are heart statues for arenas.

oh yeah the nymph is hard to get because of the other cavern mobs cluttering the spawn chance. i guess the best way to get one is to use battle potions and water candles in  spot of the cavern where you can go down on the screen and sweep the area from mobs then go up again until one appears.

kinda like when trying to get a mimic. otherwise they usually appear when you dont want to see them.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12539 on: October 02, 2017, 08:11:32 pm »

I still personally have never seen a nymph. I only got the achievement for killing it when I was blasting my quarantine zone with dynamite. So it died off screen.
Pages: 1 ... 834 835 [836] 837 838 ... 887