Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929456 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #8070 on: March 01, 2019, 12:49:42 pm »

I'd like a citybuilder/colony builder based on building an Underground City of Drow, a la Forgotten Realms. Perhaps DF-like, but with a larger focus on raiding the surface, etc.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8071 on: March 01, 2019, 01:40:21 pm »

I definitely see a lot of potential in the fort management/city-builder genre, which is why I think it sucks so much that nearly everyone that tries to make their own continues to use dwarves (or else copies directly from Dungeon Keeper).

I guess there is still some variety, though. Surviving Mars, Frostpunk, a couple "starbase" themes. (Quality not considered.)

But yeah, I'd like to see something with the polish of Anno put through a variety of different settings.

We'll see how Starbase Delta, Industries of Titan and Imagine Earth turn out. (Imagine Earth is tagged as a city builder but sounds more like a 4X to me.)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 01:43:56 pm by Niveras »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8072 on: March 01, 2019, 04:32:32 pm »

Maia is still being developed, amazingly enough. But yeah.

Ever tried out Dwelvers? It's heavily Dungeon Keeper based, but with more focus on creature needs and having a functional dungeon economy than just combat and slaps. The dev has gone through some really rough spots though, and updates have slowed to a crawl after his newfound enthusiasm from finally buying his own game out from the Towns publisher basically got shat on by a bunch of people saying the game was dead while he was updating it.

I'd like a citybuilder/colony builder based on building an Underground City of Drow, a la Forgotten Realms. Perhaps DF-like, but with a larger focus on raiding the surface, etc.

See, the problem with that is the fact that the Drow are completely dysfunctional. They exist only through author fiat and obfuscation of reality. Trying to actually model their society would fall apart in moments as everyone just murders each other and fails to do anything useful because they're busy plotting to murder everyone else...

But yeah, a slightly less suicidal antagonistic race would be fun... The aforementioned Dwelvers has surface raids, but it's not exactly a polished system.

There's also Impire, which is what happens when someone said "Man, y'know, the Majesty series hasn't been shit on enough by the sequel and the Warlock series, LET'S FIX THAT" and then somehow the game ended up being not great. Remarkable.

I'd still kinda like to see a WW1 game presented in the style of a city builder... WW1's trench warfare doesn't really lend itself very well to many real-time formats, but I feel that if you focused on the supply and reinforcement elements while managing a section of the trench line, you might be able to find a decent theater to balance the long combat-less periods with the sudden, intense raids. And also just managing the flow of recruits like citizens in a city builder, rather than having to request and pay for each individual one, would help deal with the frequent and occasionally catastrophic loss of life.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8073 on: March 01, 2019, 04:42:05 pm »

I want Koprulu Sector Total War.
Also WH40k Total War.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8074 on: March 01, 2019, 04:42:28 pm »

Delete
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8076 on: March 01, 2019, 05:29:17 pm »

Dwelvers, Impire

Dwelvers and Impire were both the ones I had in mind that I felt hewed too close to Dungeon Keeper, due to being just "eclectic mix of generic evil" rather than developing their own thematic focus. Impire at least tried different vein of humor ("slapstick" evil moreso than the sinister sarcasm of the DK narrator). War for the Overworld was another, although that is slightly excusable since it was deliberately intended as a direct spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper.

I've suggested before elsewhere alternatives in the form of a mindflayer-like race, wherein they must protect, support, and nourish the elder brain to expand their colony. But only now do I think this will feel a little too close to DK and its dungeon heart. But I suppose the core gameplay can be similar (maybe with a heavier focus on an active economy) as long as the theme/setting/dressing is different.

Another alternative would have the player as a dragon carving out its lair, including developing its hoard and defending from heroic bands (whether because you preyed on the countryside and they're there to stop you, or they're just greedy and want your stuff). Hoarding could be from terrorizing nearby lands and demanding tribute, or by being "good" and having supplicants make offerings for your power or wisdom. It also lends itself, inspired by the D&D color template, to different lineages with different intrinsic powers, which could further be altered based on your choices. For example, you might choose to play as a white dragon. It might intrinsically have necromantic powers, but if you choose to have minions they can be generic skeletons/undead, or you could develop an elemental power and have golems. Or accept the role of god to kobolds and they can defend your lair.

This all reminds me that I need to check up with KeeperRL as well. I wasn't really keen on it - I liked the concept, but not the execution via tile-based graphics, though I understand it makes a game much easier to develop if it is not animated in 3D. It's been a few years since I looked into it, maybe there is more of a game there now that will help me play through the tiles.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 05:31:30 pm by Niveras »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8077 on: March 01, 2019, 05:40:57 pm »

Y'know, I liked KeeperRL a long time ago, but it just had a little too little content. Once you'd killed the town and dragon on your map, there wasn't really anything to do. The really early days where you basically just trapped one corridor and then waited for the hero party to show up also had a certain charm.

Then I saw that there'd been a lot of updated, and I tried out the later version.

It was a lot worse. Like, considerably worse. Vast amounts of micromanagement stacked on top of a tech tree and world map that made it blatantly clear you were to follow the one true way to play, or completely fuck yourself into a corner that could never be escaped from.

Apparently it's been updated again since then? I dunno. I kinda lost hope/interest after its design direction seemed to be going the complete opposite of where I thought it should.

There was actually a little flash game about being a dragon, but that was rather limited and basically just amounted to 3-4 choices you'd make over the course of a couple minutes in order to determine your adult color and temperament. Definitely would like to see some other kind of "lair management" thing... There was supposed to be an MMO years ago where players could choose to be either a standard humanoid hero or a dragon with your own hoard/cave, and somehow dragons were supposed to be "balanced" so that players would sometimes have a reason to pick humans.

EDIT: Uhh, regarding citybuilders, Dawn of Man just dropped. Mostly interesting for the time period; it's very rare I see any kind of game set in the neolithic+ setting.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8078 on: March 03, 2019, 05:01:04 am »

A fantasy first person combat game, that is fully physics enabled.

Anything can be damaged and destroyed, where larger objects are comprised of multiple subsystems. If a specified number of supporting subsystems (defaults to 1/2) are destroyed, the supported subsystem also collapses.
All but the smallest items when destroyed turn into debries. (Which could be also damaged and destroyed).

Contact with a moving object inflicts damage, how much depends on the mass and speed of the object, while the damage type depends on the shape of the object.
This means that debries of a collapsed subsystem can damage other subsystem, potentially starting a chain reaction that brings the whole structure down.

Armor would work similarly to armor in old-XCOM, giving both resistances and armor rating. Resistances are percentil, by which the damage is multiplied, then the armor rating is subtracted from the damage, if the resistance used is less than 100% (If the armor does not protect from a damage type or even makes you weak to it, then it does not slow it down).

HP of an object (or a subsystem) depends on it's material and mass, while it's resistances and armor rating depend only on it's material. A stone wall will be tougher than a wooden wall, but more vulnerable to blunt damage.

On creatures, armor would be their naked Resistance and AR, plus that of any clothes they happen to wear.
The protection would be applied separately on each layer, starting from the outside.

Ex. Human wearing a Gambson and Full Plate is hit with a Warhammer for 20 Blunt damage.
      The full plate has 99% Blunt and 10AR.  The damage is reduced to 10 Blunt
      Gambeson has 50% Blunt and 2AR. The damage is reduced to 3 Blunt
      Human skin has 99% Blunt and 1AR. The human takes 2 damage.

Ex2. The same human is hit with a fire based attack for 15 Fire damage
         Full plate has 100% Fire, damage not reduced.
         Gambeson is flamable, 125% Fire. Damage is increased to 19 Fire.
         Human skin has 99% Fire, 1 AR. Human takes 18 damage.

Armor also takes any damage that passes through it, but tends to have more HP than those wearing it. Many weak hits will eventually peel armor off people, but strong hits will generally kill the victim first.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8079 on: March 03, 2019, 08:53:31 pm »

Anything can be damaged and destroyed, where larger objects are comprised of multiple subsystems. If a specified number of supporting subsystems (defaults to 1/2) are destroyed, the supported subsystem also collapses.
[...]
I had a related idea back when TES:Oblivion came out and introduced me to Havok physics. You could shoot rope arrows and then build rope bridges.

My sister had ideas involving combat while standing on monster-drawn wagons, and parachuting off a huge mushroom as an end to the tutorial. It was more of an MMO idea, but physics sim doesn't play well with that.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 08:55:10 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8080 on: March 03, 2019, 09:45:11 pm »

All but the smallest items when destroyed turn into debries. (Which could be also damaged and destroyed).

Contact with a moving object inflicts damage, how much depends on the mass and speed of the object, while the damage type depends on the shape of the object.
This means that debries of a collapsed subsystem can damage other subsystem, potentially starting a chain reaction that brings the whole structure down.

Armor would work similarly to armor in old-XCOM, giving both resistances and armor rating. Resistances are percentil, by which the damage is multiplied, then the armor rating is subtracted from the damage, if the resistance used is less than 100% (If the armor does not protect from a damage type or even makes you weak to it, then it does not slow it down).

HP of an object (or a subsystem) depends on it's material and mass, while it's resistances and armor rating depend only on it's material. A stone wall will be tougher than a wooden wall, but more vulnerable to blunt damage.

On creatures, armor would be their naked Resistance and AR, plus that of any clothes they happen to wear.
The protection would be applied separately on each layer, starting from the outside.

Ex. Human wearing a Gambson and Full Plate is hit with a Warhammer for 20 Blunt damage.
      The full plate has 99% Blunt and 10AR.  The damage is reduced to 10 Blunt
      Gambeson has 50% Blunt and 2AR. The damage is reduced to 3 Blunt
      Human skin has 99% Blunt and 1AR. The human takes 2 damage.

Ex2. The same human is hit with a fire based attack for 15 Fire damage
         Full plate has 100% Fire, damage not reduced.
         Gambeson is flamable, 125% Fire. Damage is increased to 19 Fire.
         Human skin has 99% Fire, 1 AR. Human takes 18 damage.

Armor also takes any damage that passes through it, but tends to have more HP than those wearing it. Many weak hits will eventually peel armor off people, but strong hits will generally kill the victim first.
That sounds pretty much exactly like what Exanima does, except it's third-person.

As a matter of fact, there's a first person mod for it, it's unplayable right now but there you go!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:41:36 pm by Parsely »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8081 on: March 05, 2019, 12:52:38 pm »

Not an entire game I wish existed, but I wish more RPGs would use riddles and puzzles. Even if I can't figure it out and just have to look up a walkthrough or brute-force it, it's refreshing to encounter a problem that can't be solved by just grinding the relevant stat to 100 or exploiting a broken crafting system.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8082 on: March 05, 2019, 01:52:53 pm »

Not an entire game I wish existed, but I wish more RPGs would use riddles and puzzles. Even if I can't figure it out and just have to look up a walkthrough or brute-force it, it's refreshing to encounter a problem that can't be solved by just grinding the relevant stat to 100 or exploiting a broken crafting system.
YYY YYYYY YYYBC GHLLLM PPPRR RS SS SSTTT?

I do get what you mean though, but sometimes people are stupid and come up with stupid puzzles.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8083 on: March 05, 2019, 02:57:48 pm »

We've got you covered:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How do I resize images?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8084 on: March 05, 2019, 03:39:10 pm »

Code: [Select]
[img width=800]"the image"[/img]
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 577