Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089952 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11640 on: May 03, 2015, 04:32:02 am »

Oh, umm, sorry. I didn't mean that I wanted opinions, I was just offering options.

Yet, there the internet is, and there it goes.
It's a game. Have fun.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11641 on: May 03, 2015, 07:36:22 am »

I played a bit with the striker. It feels... weird. Like a crappier version of the lancer with less ammo.

The homing is kinda funky but they are overall FAR better than coyotes due to the much higher damage and longer (about 3 times) lockon area meaning that 2 strikers can create a no fly zone.
Up close against ground vehicles its arguably worse than the stock launcher because it can't take full profit from short windows of opportunity. For example a dumbfire seeing the back of a magrided can just put a rocket in it and shave a lot of its HP off while a striker will only get on or two rockets before any half decent driver starts turning.

In any case Striker is OK and i plan to have a heavy with both MCG and the striker as primary weapons.

Especially now that they nerfed the lockon range on all launchers to feel like something around 50 meters. Most launchers fail to even lock onto the passing aircraft.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:39:19 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11642 on: May 03, 2015, 08:01:54 am »

Hey, is this game still worth playing to noobies? I used to play about a year ago, got to BR (I think its called Battle Rank? probably wrong) 10 or something, then stopped. I got back with a new acc, couldn't make progress at all.

Now I want to know if its viable for newcomers. I want to introduce my friends to it after exams, so all of us can be in a squad. The concept of Planetside always interested me, but I hate getting one shotted by fucking BR 60 people. All the time.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11643 on: May 03, 2015, 10:03:03 am »

BR has little meaning. You get killed numerous times from behind,
before you spend some hours in game and learn it. Get in server you on larges Outfit
and roll with their platoons. It is fun game when platoon works together and never late to start fresh.
438 hours in it and i'm planning to start playing it again :)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11644 on: May 03, 2015, 10:11:31 am »

BR is little more than how long they've played, its like MR in Warframe; higher does not always mean better at anything. You'll still get killed eventually regardless of how good you play or how many BR60s you evade, and so will they.

And isn't there a newbie island now anyway?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11645 on: May 03, 2015, 10:18:59 am »

Yeah, the game's got a lot to do with positioning. If you can catch someone from behind, you can murder them. I've personally gone on massive killing sprees as an Infiltrator using a bolt-action scopeless sniper and a knife just through sheer outmaneuvering my opponents. If you get caught in any sort of engagement that lasts longer than two seconds, you will die unless your opponent is a bad shot or hit detection is on your side.

Speaking of hit detection, don't be surprised if sometimes you sneak up behind someone, unload a full clip into their back, they spin around and shoot you twice killing you instantly only to discover that you barely broke through their shields. It's a pain in the ass but thankfully it isn't too common.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11646 on: May 03, 2015, 01:01:07 pm »

Striker was a decent weapon on release, some said it was even OP (I disagree, but that's not the point).

As a reaver pilot on time of the striker's release, yeah it was totally insane, you couldn't fly over TR bases without getting ten locks. You were completely out of the fight every time you didn't have a flare ready, and there was no dodging or hiding from the missiles, they could guide through individual tree branches and around mountains, if you didn't have a flare, most of your health was about to vanish. Actually now that I think about it... it kinda forced pilots not to 'helicopter' with rocket pods, and liberators were just completely obsolete over TR bases unless doing zephyr strafes.

Then SOE nerfed the guidance mechanics so that strikers immediately flew into the nearest mountain. When they coulda just halved the lock range. (and I believe this about all the lock on launchers).

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11647 on: May 03, 2015, 02:23:16 pm »

I can attest. The old striker had crazy rockets that could weave between trees and.... were almost impossible to evade.
However not many know it shared the guidance with the NS annihilator whos single rocket acted the exact same.

bsically the game had 2 guidance modes for rockets.
A simple one that just headed towards whatever was targeted in a straight line without taking its movement into account and an advanced one that took the targets movement into account.
Now to make it work te second rocket had to be smart enough to not crash into any obstables in a situation where the shooter has a clear sight to lockon but the aircrafts movements cause them to fly into a nearby building.

So they gave them the ability to avoid those obstacles... and then they removed it as a nerf.

Effect? For a long time all ap ilot targeted by a striker had to do was fly towards the ground for a second or two.
The rockets would race to meet the mossie at the "impact point" that just happens to be 3 meters underground.
Self promotion below.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11648 on: May 03, 2015, 05:13:12 pm »

Effect? For a long time all ap ilot targeted by a striker had to do was fly towards the ground for a second or two.
The rockets would race to meet the mossie at the "impact point" that just happens to be 3 meters underground.
And they say NC is the teamkill faction... :P
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11649 on: May 03, 2015, 05:21:24 pm »

Nah, NC is just the faction with the most shotguns. Ya can't aim well so you shoot everything in front of you :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11650 on: May 03, 2015, 06:14:28 pm »

Sorry that's because i main TR and Mossie literally means ESF for me. Note that the "upgraded" rocket AI is now on all launchers so if you are targeted by a ground based lockon you can sometimes evade it completely by simply flying at the ground for a while.
Self promotion below.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11651 on: May 03, 2015, 07:36:20 pm »

Striker was a decent weapon on release etc. etc.
Yes, and for the longest time the PPA was considered incredibly overpowered until it was 'nerfed' and I hadn't seen anyone use it since. The thing is, if people didn't have to specifically pay for those weapons balancing them would probably be easier because as it stands you could be buying into something that later becomes useless or changes into something you didn't want in the first place. They would be more free to change the numbers and mechanics around without making people feel like they are wasting their money, or even being robbed so to speak.
Now I want to know if its viable for newcomers.
Heh... heheheheh... hehehehahahahahaaaaaa....

Let's just say that the most newb-friendly thing about the game is probably a decent squad/platoon. For the most part every squad I've joined that has any experienced players will (depending on the situation) go out of their way to help newbies acclimate themselves to the game. I think a lot of them know how difficult it is to retain players in this kind of game. There's even times when experience players kill "BR 1" players where they will send PMs to them to try to help despite being 'the enemy'.

Nah, NC is just the faction with the most shotguns. Ya can't aim well so you shoot everything in front of you :P
As an NC main I am saddened that the devs think that shotguns should be the NC's "gimmick" weapons. VS get infinite ammo, TR gets miniguns, NC gets... shafted. The Jackhammer is the most accurate shotgun as far as I know which is pretty neat, but I'd still rather have railguns and the like. It also doesn't help that shotguns are very annoying to fight against and feel pretty cheap in a lot of situations, especially because of clientside hit detection where someone can around a corner and shoot you in the head before they've even rendered on your screen.

I hear a lot of people complain about scatmaxes, but I still die fairly quickly to VS maxes and they can engage effectively from longer range. TR maxes honestly should get slightly lower damage guns with faster fire rate, because right now they don't feel very TR-like.

EDIT: Oh, I also wanna point out how funny that statement is because supposedly the NC has the highest 'skill cap' for weapons in the game with their 200 damage guns. Sometimes when I play on TR I feel like I'm playing Call of Duty where my weapon just sprays a stream of lasers with no recoil.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:38:10 pm by OzyTheSage »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11652 on: May 03, 2015, 09:47:37 pm »

Im only BR21 (on my best account) and at this point when I kill anyone lower than me I feel like crap, at least most of the time. Killing BR100 people is amusing though. It only happens about once per month... I only kill someone about twice per month...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11653 on: May 03, 2015, 10:41:17 pm »

Actually, big question. When is this going live on the PS4?
It's a game. Have fun.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11654 on: May 04, 2015, 04:11:21 pm »

I *think* the day after Half Life 3 is released.
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 826